Author Topic: Coolant cocktail!  (Read 373 times)

Offline Lee

• Tricycle
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 12558
  • Membership Level: Active
Coolant cocktail!
« on: May 03, 2018, 05:06:58 pm »
Mixed Steves's cocktail recipe to favor above 10 degrees F. This is a well worth the effort way to bring down coolant temps. Also proper bleeding of pump and thermostat is critical. Did not use "pump lube" as could not find product anywhere. My feet owe you Steve! Thanks for sharing the mix!

Offline DC Concours

• Crotch Rocket
  • 2001 Concours, ~19K miles
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: Coolant cocktail!
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2018, 05:42:30 pm »
Can you break down the ingredients and proportions? Will this be helpful for north-east-coasters to be run all year round?

Offline Lee

• Tricycle
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2018, 07:30:30 pm »
Approximately 104-106 oz total. Of which 12oz is Water Wetter, 56 oz 50/50 Asian formula antifreeze, 36-38 oz  or so distilled H2O. Fill to high point of pump bleed then close bleeder, fill to thermostat bleed then close. Run to warm only to remove any remaining air. Thermostat needs to open. Replace Rad Cap. Place remaining mix of fluid in reservoir. As stated could not find any pump lube that did not contain leak stop additive. So I left that out of mix substituting distilled water. Also used a antifreeze calculator, found on net to figure freeze point temperature. There are many out there and some discrepancy between them. This is just a bastardisation of Steve's formula found on COG search and modified for my expediciency. Did as he has indicated, dramatically lowered temp. My fan has yet to turn on at long idle in traffic anymore. Something it was doing frequently before change of new fluid combo. Thanks again Steve!

Online CRocker

• Crotch Rocket
  • '02 C10 CDA # 416
  • COG#: Forum
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2018, 08:39:17 pm »
My ‘02 uses the “cocktail”...coolest running C-10 I have ever seen!  Temp needle barely moves... :beerchug:

Offline Bob_C_CT

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 9544
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2018, 09:15:57 am »
Lee, what temp did you calculate you are covered before freezing with your mixture?
97 C10,ZRX Front, Meanstreak rim

Offline DC Concours

• Crotch Rocket
  • 2001 Concours, ~19K miles
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2018, 03:16:27 pm »
Thanks Lee. Next change I will have to try doing this. Usually I just use little more water. Never seems to make a difference.

Offline Lee

• Tricycle
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2018, 12:52:39 am »
Lee, what temp did you calculate you are covered before freezing with your mixture?

There is a range in the online calculators for different anti freeze types or brands. Believe percentage water to coolant took me to a freeze point of 7-10 degrees F. Can not lay hands on my notes. If I remember right 25% antifreeze gets you to 10F on most charts.

Offline Lee

• Tricycle
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2018, 12:56:03 am »
Here is a pretty easy and general chart from net. There are ones that are brand specific too. http://www.magers.org/handy/antifreeze.html

Offline TinDog

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 12674
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2018, 12:20:54 pm »
It's funny this has never occurred to me before...

"YOU" people in the south call that stuff circulating through your engines coolant.   Growing up and living in the Rocky Mountain area, it's always been called antifreeze by anyone I've known.   I guess it's all about the realities of our own lives sometimes.

Offline Lee

• Tricycle
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2018, 04:34:10 pm »
It's funny this has never occurred to me before...

"YOU" people in the south call that stuff circulating through your engines coolant.   Growing up and living in the Rocky Mountain area, it's always been called antifreeze by anyone I've known.   I guess it's all about the realities of our own lives sometimes.
When I lived in Colorado I worried about antifreeze ratio and loved my block heater every morning. Now in Louisiana, I worry about coolant ratio and keep a sunshade across my dash 24/7 when not driving. Referring to the cage dash of course. On the bike here, I hunt for cooler riding clothing constantly!