Author Topic: Coolant leak, any usual connie issues?  (Read 247 times)

Offline dboogie2288

• Road Bike
    • BeginnerBikers.org
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 11628
  • Membership Level: Active
Coolant leak, any usual connie issues?
« on: October 30, 2017, 11:43:21 am »
I dont think I've ever noticed a wide array of complaints on coolant leaking. My 06 developed a leak recently, and its pretty major. Are there any known issues with the concours with leaking coolant? It's coming pretty freely, at the front of the bike, and no oil to match (so not the water pump). I've had some leaky coolant log rings before, but this is coming out pretty heavily, and only when the bike is running. I've got to tear into it here shortly, then I'll know more..just doing some research ahead of time.
Current Bikes:
2006 Kawasaki Concours///COG#:11628
2006 Honda Goldwing 1800///GWRRA#:398646

Offline SteveJ.

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 5603
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
Re: Coolant leak, any usual connie issues?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2017, 12:27:48 pm »
The c-10s have a bit of propensity to have the coolant hose near the exhaust leak. As the bike is over ten years old, this may be a really good time to replace all hoses and O-rings ant thermostat. A fairly big job but it beats doing it in the middle of a trip or on the side of the road. Also a good time to send carbbies of to Shoodaben, either for the works or a freshen up.

When I replaced hoses(every 5-6 years}, I would wrap that hose near the exhaust with aluminum foil to help reject heat.
Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SiSF)
Steve J  Tavares, FL, one of the Floriduh Steves
'15 Versys650LT, '98 KLR650, (back home), '99 C-10, 234k miles sold
IBA 19221

Offline Victor Salisbury

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 3673
  • Membership Level: Event Host
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2017, 12:50:20 pm »
And still check that weep hole on the water pump just in case, the coolant side only seal could be leaking. That was a failure point for my second water pump.
Vic Salisbury
COG #3673 
'97 Connie "The Grinch" 
Sarasota, FL 
www.cog-online.org 
Stupid Hurts! Wearing protective gear is much more comfortable.

Offline dboogie2288

• Road Bike
    • BeginnerBikers.org
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 11628
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2017, 01:09:37 pm »
The c-10s have a bit of propensity to have the coolant hose near the exhaust leak. As the bike is over ten years old, this may be a really good time to replace all hoses and O-rings ant thermostat. A fairly big job but it beats doing it in the middle of a trip or on the side of the road. Also a good time to send carbbies of to Shoodaben, either for the works or a freshen up.

When I replaced hoses(every 5-6 years}, I would wrap that hose near the exhaust with aluminum foil to help reject heat.

Hmm that's good to know. I was going to send in the carbs this winter anyhow. I guess I'll start taking off the plastic. I guess hoses, orings, tstat & gasket will be in her future. GRRRR I HATE COOLANT!!!  >:(
Current Bikes:
2006 Kawasaki Concours///COG#:11628
2006 Honda Goldwing 1800///GWRRA#:398646

Offline Bob_C_CT

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 9544
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2017, 01:42:07 pm »
Reminder, make sure to tie wrap the coolant hose near front exhaust to the coolant tube to keep away from exhaust.
97 C10,ZRX Front, Meanie Rear

Offline Mcfly

• --2006 Concours--
  • Iron Butt
  • Cruise Control
  • COG#: 9921
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2017, 01:21:28 am »
While you're inspecting the cooling system, examine the lower metal pipes that the cooling hoses
connect to.  There's a bolt holding one in place on the engine end....  snug it up.   :-[      :great:
Performance -- Rear: C14 Shock - Front: Sonic 1.1 w/emulators - SISF Jet Mod & Ex Cam Sprocket - Tokico front brakes
Comfort -- Russell Day Long - Madstad - Cruise Control