Author Topic: Coolant leak, any usual connie issues?  (Read 496 times)

Offline dboogie2288

• Road Bike
    • BeginnerBikers.org
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 11628
  • Membership Level: Active
Coolant leak, any usual connie issues?
« on: October 30, 2017, 11:43:21 am »
I dont think I've ever noticed a wide array of complaints on coolant leaking. My 06 developed a leak recently, and its pretty major. Are there any known issues with the concours with leaking coolant? It's coming pretty freely, at the front of the bike, and no oil to match (so not the water pump). I've had some leaky coolant log rings before, but this is coming out pretty heavily, and only when the bike is running. I've got to tear into it here shortly, then I'll know more..just doing some research ahead of time.
Current Bikes:
2006 Kawasaki Concours///COG#:11628
2006 Honda Goldwing 1800///GWRRA#:398646

Offline SteveJ.

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 5603
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
Re: Coolant leak, any usual connie issues?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2017, 12:27:48 pm »
The c-10s have a bit of propensity to have the coolant hose near the exhaust leak. As the bike is over ten years old, this may be a really good time to replace all hoses and O-rings ant thermostat. A fairly big job but it beats doing it in the middle of a trip or on the side of the road. Also a good time to send carbbies of to Shoodaben, either for the works or a freshen up.

When I replaced hoses(every 5-6 years}, I would wrap that hose near the exhaust with aluminum foil to help reject heat.
Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SiSF)
Steve J  Tavares, FL, one of the Floriduh Steves
'15 Versys650LT, '98 KLR650, (back home), '99 C-10, 234k miles sold
IBA 19221

Offline Victor Salisbury

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 3673
  • Membership Level: Event Host
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2017, 12:50:20 pm »
And still check that weep hole on the water pump just in case, the coolant side only seal could be leaking. That was a failure point for my second water pump.
Vic Salisbury
COG #3673 
'97 Connie "The Grinch" 
Sarasota, FL 
www.cog-online.org 
Stupid Hurts! Wearing protective gear is much more comfortable.

Offline dboogie2288

• Road Bike
    • BeginnerBikers.org
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2017, 01:09:37 pm »
The c-10s have a bit of propensity to have the coolant hose near the exhaust leak. As the bike is over ten years old, this may be a really good time to replace all hoses and O-rings ant thermostat. A fairly big job but it beats doing it in the middle of a trip or on the side of the road. Also a good time to send carbbies of to Shoodaben, either for the works or a freshen up.

When I replaced hoses(every 5-6 years}, I would wrap that hose near the exhaust with aluminum foil to help reject heat.

Hmm that's good to know. I was going to send in the carbs this winter anyhow. I guess I'll start taking off the plastic. I guess hoses, orings, tstat & gasket will be in her future. GRRRR I HATE COOLANT!!!  >:(
Current Bikes:

Offline Bob_C_CT

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 9544
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2017, 01:42:07 pm »
Reminder, make sure to tie wrap the coolant hose near front exhaust to the coolant tube to keep away from exhaust.
97 C10,ZRX Front, Meanie Rear

Offline Mcfly

• --2006 Concours--
  • Iron Butt
  • Cruise Control
  • COG#: 9921
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2017, 01:21:28 am »
While you're inspecting the cooling system, examine the lower metal pipes that the cooling hoses
connect to.  There's a bolt holding one in place on the engine end....  snug it up.   :-[      :great:
Performance -- Rear: C14 Shock - Front: Sonic 1.1 w/emulators - SISF Jet Mod & Ex Cam Sprocket - Tokico front brakes
Comfort -- Russell Day Long - Madstad - Cruise Control

Offline dboogie2288

• Road Bike
    • BeginnerBikers.org
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2017, 01:23:25 pm »
Finally getting back to this as the 06 has been sitting for some time now.

I grabbed the hose kit, new tstat, new coolant log orings....anything else I need to replace while I've got it disassembled?
Current Bikes:

Offline Bob_C_CT

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 9544
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2017, 01:42:54 pm »
Gasket for the thermostat housing. That one is usually turned to goo and not reusable.
97 C10,ZRX Front, Meanie Rear

Offline dboogie2288

• Road Bike
    • BeginnerBikers.org
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2017, 01:46:42 pm »
Gasket for the thermostat housing. That one is usually turned to goo and not reusable.

Yea that comes in the thermostat, so we're good there...
Current Bikes:

Offline Swampcat

• Officer
  • Road Bike
  • Editor of The Concourier
  • COG#: 12154
  • Membership Level: Concourier Managing Editor
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2017, 07:32:15 pm »

Verify that to be sure. If you got the thermostat from Murph, he ships it as part of the kit. Another source might not include it; it's a separate part from the thermostat in Kawasaki's book. Kawasaki P/N 92055-112.

They will go to goo. Mine was goo (at 70K odometer, but not sure how long it had been since the PO changed it) and started leaking at the National this year. I limped home 1300 miles keeping a weather eye on the coolant level.
--Ed
2004 C10 ("Shoodaben")
1991 Vulcan 500 ("Lorath")

Send articles/pictures for The Concourier to editor@cog-online.org

Offline ron203

• Officer
  • Iron Butt
  • COG#: 9847
  • Membership Level: Area Director
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2017, 08:42:12 pm »

Verify that to be sure. If you got the thermostat from Murph, he ships it as part of the kit. Another source might not include it; it's a separate part from the thermostat in Kawasaki's book. Kawasaki P/N 92055-112.

I wondered what you found out about that. Maybe you told me but I forgot... let's see, what was my name? where're my shoes?  :-[

They will go to goo. Mine was goo (at 70K odometer, but not sure how long it had been since the PO changed it) and started leaking at the National this year. I limped home 1300 miles keeping a weather eye on the coolant level.
2014 C-14

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2017, 08:56:27 pm »
When you remove the right side middle fairing, look closely at the metal tube on the radiator, the top one the big hose attaches to there.
There is very litlle clearance between the wraparound on the plastic fairing, and that tube, and if by some chance the location tabs on that fairing were nit alligned, or worse yet broken off in the past, the wraparound on the fairing will rub against that tube, and wear a hole in it... causing a leak. This can occur in as litlle as 15k miles, like between valve adjusts, which I had happen. The easy, and emergency road fix was simple though, that hose is long enough you can cut a short 1" piece off it, slit it, and slid it over the worn spot on the metal tube, and clamp it with a hose clamp, which will last the remainder of time...
Then make sure th3 tabs are alligned when you reassemble that part of the fairing.

I also wasn't aware Murph supplied the large o ring that seals the top and bottom halves of the thermo housing along with his thermostat, nice gesture, as they almost always need to be replaced. Also, the bottom oring on the down tube to the coolant log and the ring on the tube that fits onto the waterpump housing are identical, so buy a pair and replace those also.

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW

Offline Swampcat

• Officer
  • Road Bike
  • Editor of The Concourier
  • COG#: 12154
  • Membership Level: Concourier Managing Editor
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2017, 09:18:59 pm »
I might not have told you. I can't remember, either, so what does that say about my memory? :) Look, a squirrel!

Yes, it was that dastardly thermostat o-ring that gave me grief. As long as I kept moving it seemed to be OK. Great incentive to keep my speed up on the slab...  :))  :motonoises:  :motonoises:  :motonoises:

--Ed
2004 C10 ("Shoodaben")
1991 Vulcan 500 ("Lorath")

Send articles/pictures for The Concourier to editor@cog-online.org