Author Topic: Coolant leak mystery  (Read 174 times)

Offline ColoradoMike

• Tricycle
  • Restoring a 2002 Concours
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: Pending Proc
  • Membership Level: Active
Coolant leak mystery
« on: May 22, 2020, 01:12:52 am »
Working on getting a "new to me" 2002 C10 running. It's been sitting for over a year. Previous owner said that it leaked coolant one day on a ride and he hasn't ridden it since.  I tried filling it with with water and it leaked from somewhere in the water pump region, but I couldn't see exactly where without taking it apart.

I just removed the water pump and I'm looking for the common issues I've read about here and from SISF's water pump issues video. So far, I'm stumped.

I'm attaching photos of the water pump. Does this look good to everyone? It looks darn nice to me. There is no play with the pump and it seems solid. The gaskets all seem decent, but dry and could use grease. I'm not sure it would cause an issue.

1. Does this pump look good to you?
2. Should I replace anything just for good measure? Really by the time I buy a few gaskets and pay shipping I'm almost halfway to a new pump (wish I had a local source)
3. Could it be the pipe that feeds and attaches to the pump?
3. Anything else to look for in the system? Any good ideas on how to check the hoses for leaks and seals?

Thanks for any suggestions you can offer!

Mike
2002 ZG1000 in restoration
2017 Triumph Thruxton R
and a sidecar with a dog sometimes

Offline DC Concours

• Sport Tourer
  • 2001 Concours, ~25K miles
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: Coolant leak mystery
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2020, 01:55:44 am »
It's hard to tell. But looks ok.

I had to change my WP once and I don't remember whether the seal you have in your first pic should be a bit further in. I am sure someone will chime in. But since you have it out you might want to reseat that seal with some locktite as has been described. That will keep it from oil leaks in the future.

I have had a little coolant leak from where the hoses connect. I had to tighten the clamps and that was all. Some hoses may be torn or deformed at the clamp and will need replacing.

Since your leak is w/o any pressure it may be a simple issue. You need to trace it. Water will flow from up top and end up far away from the source.

Offline Bud

• Sport Tourer
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 12907
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2020, 10:19:37 am »
If pumps were cheap, I'd tell you to just replace the pump and go on.  Get the old girl undressed and put it back together so you can actually see where it's coming from.  As DC said, it could just be a loose clamp or an issue with a hose.  For the diagnosing part, I'd just fill the system with distilled water until I knew it was fixed. 
2013 Kawasaki Concours 14
2005 Kawasaki Concours
2001 Kawasaki Concours
1982 Suzuki GS1100GK
1983 Honda GL650I SilverWing

Offline JPD

• Scooter
  • COG#: 12064
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2020, 01:19:02 pm »
If the internal seals are leaking it will come out of the weep hole between the large o-ring and the pump body. You would have had to look at it before you took it off the engine. You can't see the water seal on the shaft as it is under the impeller. A leaking seal will not cause any play until it washes the lube out of the bearings and they go bad. See your other post for a link to my rebuild and photos of the pump disassembled.

Offline ColoradoMike

• Tricycle
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2020, 06:10:39 pm »
I did some more testing and fixing. I re-seated the big tear-drop shaped o-ring in the water pump casing and used some Dow Corning high vacuum grease to help hold the o-ring in place. I put it back together, screwed it on the bike, and poured in some water. It seems the coolant is indeed leaking from the weephole. This is without running.

Here's a video of the leak. Nothing exciting, but I think clearly shows that it's the weephole: https://photos.app.goo.gl/LFGPb47gZy5Mmmbj9  (the phone comes in handy to see the hard to see spots)

So what could cause this leak from the weephole? It hasn't leaked oil, so I'm hesitant to say it's the oil seal (that seal also appears intact, see other photo). Have we narrowed it down to the big tear-shaped o-ring, or are there other possibilities?

Thanks everyone for the assist.

Mike
2017 Triumph Thruxton R

Offline JPD

• Scooter
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2020, 08:14:05 pm »
There is an oil seal on the engine side and a water seal on the impeller side. The water seal is shot. The weep hole is between the two seals so it will show both leaks.

Offline ColoradoMike

• Tricycle
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2020, 08:43:12 pm »
There is an oil seal on the engine side and a water seal on the impeller side. The water seal is shot. The weep hole is between the two seals so it will show both leaks.

JPD,
Bingo! That's great, thank you. There appears to be two o rings in the parts list, which is even more confusing since I only see one on my pump. Do you know which one of these it would be?

Part 671 from image, 671B2525 "0" RING,25MM

Part 92055C from image, 92055-1271 RING-O,WATER PUMP

I'm hoping it's a standard size and I can get it at the hardware store.
2017 Triumph Thruxton R

Offline ColoradoMike

• Tricycle
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2020, 09:55:00 pm »
After looking at your note and examining the pump I see that the seal must be behind the impeller. It looks like we would be getting into taking the piece apart. I'm going to read your other thread about a rebuild, but seeing as this is an 18 year old bike I may just bite the bullet and get a new pump.
2017 Triumph Thruxton R

Offline Bud

• Sport Tourer
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 12907
2013 Kawasaki Concours 14
2005 Kawasaki Concours
2001 Kawasaki Concours
1982 Suzuki GS1100GK
1983 Honda GL650I SilverWing

Offline JPD

• Scooter
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2020, 10:37:43 pm »
The Concours diagram doesn't show the seal you need to rebuild it. They only shows the o-ring around the mount shaft and the one on the water outlet pipe, plus the cover seal. Kawasaki considers it replaceable as a unit. Bud provided a link to parts from over seas so you can see all of the parts I used but the link to my rebuild gave me an e-bay source for the seal. Note it is not listed as for a ZG 1000 but it worked. Other members helped me with previous research so I am trying to do the same.

The water seal in my attachment was pulled apart when I pushed out the impeller. water seal, bearing, gap for weep hole, bearing, snap ring, oil seal.