Author Topic: CrampBuster  (Read 2231 times)

Offline 02Conni

• Tricycle
  • Go4aRide...and Ride Safe
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
CrampBuster
« on: December 06, 2010, 03:29:39 pm »
I am getting the CrampBuster and just wanted to get your thoughts. How would it compare to a Throttlemeister?

Thanks

TK
My Conni changed my life

Offline oldsawfiler

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 8062
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: CrampBuster
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2010, 04:14:01 pm »
If you are talking about the plastic extensions that are Velcroed to the throttle grip, I used one for a while.  It was OK for long distance highway.  I DID NOT like it for around town and slow speed maneuvering.  It had a tendency to magnify my wrist input at slow speed.  I used it for about a year thinking I would get used to it, but finally gave up. 
The CAT O-ring is the cats meow for a cheap Cruz control, not as good as a "throttle lock" like Manic Salamander, but about 1/20th the price.  Of course you get what you pay for.
The O-ring rides on the bar end and rolls into the grove between the bar end and the grip when you need to rest your wrist.  Mine will hold my speed for a few hundred yards or miles at a time if the conditions are right.
I have a bar-end throttle lock on my wish list.  A true cruz controle is to expensive for me.
Well...even if you fall on your face you're still moving forward.

COG # 8062  AMA # 1084053  ROMA

Offline smithr1

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 6197
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2010, 04:54:13 pm »
I have one like that but not the same brand.   I have no clue who made it now, had it for years.  It uses a rubber strap that cinches around the grip tight and the pad sits under the outside base of my hand.  I felt it allows me to relax my hand all the time.  I can control the bike now, with practice, with little more then a thought and almost no grip on the grip.  I can cover the brake and still control the bike.  I have a real cruse control now and still have the unit in place. 

One other reason I keep it is I have cheap foam wraps around my stock grips to make them bigger and more plushy.  Those wraps by themselves do not grip well enough and might rotate on the stock grip if it were not for how tight the cramp busting thing attaches.  I kind of like the replaceable wraps though since all foam gets nasty and compressed with time.

BTW if you have had Murph's Buzz Less grips for a couple years do you see the grips foam getting compressed and not doing its job as well or are they holding up well?
---
Bob Smith (smithr)
Austin, Texas baby!
2010 Kawasaki Concours, Midnight Blue
COG 6197, CDA 107

Offline Cap'n Bob

• GOLD STAR
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 7134
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2010, 06:11:13 pm »
I've used them. But I liked the throttle rocker much better than the cramp buster. The throttle rocker is much more ergonomically shaped. So it is more comfortable. The cramp Buster being basically a flat piece of plastic, rubs on my palm. I wind up with sore spots or blisters. The throttle rockers design makes this much less likely.
 I don't really compare these units to a throttlemeister. The Throttlemeister is an actual throttle lock. Where as the Cramp Buster/ Throttle Rocker are just to take some stress off your hand. I actually used both the Throttle Rocker/ Caramp Buster with my Throttlemeister. The throttlemeister allows you to totally remove your hand from the throttle for a short time. The Cramp Buster/ ThrottleRocker only allow you to relax your grip. So there really isn't much relief for your hand/arm! But for ten bucks, they help when just riding. So I would say go with both a throttle lock (Throttlemeister) and a throttle Rocker!

Offline Rob

• Road Bike
  • COG#: Forum
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2010, 06:18:45 pm »
I use them all day, every day, in all kinds of travel, on both bikes.  Love 'em.

Offline Gerry B

• Moped
  • Condoms prevent minivans!
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 6037
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2010, 07:28:30 pm »
Crampbuster eh?  Isn't that called Midol or Motrin outside the riding community?  ;D
Gerry Barnett 
Enfield, CT 
COG 6037

Offline C. Moore

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 6662
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2010, 10:09:32 am »
I use the cramp buster for the highway only. It does what it is advertised to do. It is not the perfect solution. The cost is the main thing. It is cheap and it works well enough. If I did more highway I would go with Murphs cruise control. I still may go in that direction some day.
'10 C14  Dallas, Texas
CDA #523
COG# 6662

Offline coffee_brake

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 7653
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2010, 11:10:08 am »
I use them all day, every day, in all kinds of travel, on both bikes.  Love 'em.

+1, there's an extra in the tool kit in case it gets lost or stolen off the bike. Can't ride far without it!
Jenn in "Chaahlston, y'all...."

Offline 02Conni

• Tricycle
  • Go4aRide...and Ride Safe
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2010, 12:49:11 pm »
CMOORE....do you have Murph's website?
My Conni changed my life

Offline Rob

• Road Bike
  • COG#: Forum
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2010, 01:44:28 pm »

Offline thepope

• Big Wheels
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2010, 12:13:48 pm »
Ditto what most have already said. I use one (not sure which brand). And I see them on a lot of bikes. Usually they are located on the outside end of the throttle. I've found it is more comfortable and better feel if you will locate it about the middle of the throttle grip- so it puts pressure on your palm and heel of your thumb instead of the outside of your palm. Just sayin'.....

Offline Rev Ryder

• Officer
  • I Need a Life
  • We came. We saw. We Concours-ed.
    • Presbychuck
  • COG#: 7235
  • Membership Level: Executive Director
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2010, 05:37:33 pm »
I tried a similar product to the cramp buster (it was mostly plastic), but found it annoying MOST of the time.  It worked OK on the highway for a little while, but didn;t really offer ME any relief.  Tried the ThrottleMeister after that.  Then went to the Audiovox.  No contest.  The true electronic cruise is really the only game in town.  However, it IS considerably more expensive.  The CAT-O CRUISE O-Ring thingy is a handy thing, even WITH the electronic cruise I have been known to use it for a few second's relief to allow me the use of my right hand.  I like that system much more than the Crampbuster type... and it's even cheaper.  A true COG-like farkle. CHEAP! LOL  errr... I meant FRUGAL!   ;D
Fortis non Ferox
 Shafties Can't Wheelie