Author Topic: Cruise Control is Great!  (Read 2130 times)

Offline Robert_Buchaklian_CA

• Big Wheels
Cruise Control is Great!
« on: May 28, 2008, 10:24:00 am »
I finally finished installing the Audiovox cruise control on my 98' Connie and it works great! It is a little jerky at lower speeds (35-45) but works smooth at freeway speeds both up and down hill. Thanks to the forum suggestion of the "pry" method of installing the loop wire to the throttle linkage. A little tricky but I think a lot easier than taking apart the throttle.  

Offline smithr1

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 6197
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
Cruise Control is Great!
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 12:42:00 pm »
I got some comments from the guys I was leading this last weekend when I set the CC at 80 and went around a corner left handed at nearly 45 degrees.  I know its not the smartest thing but I am left handed and practice driving a lot that way.  I was fine.  They were the ones going :8o:  ----------------------------------  I will answer any question.  It is up to you to figure out if I should have.    <p align="left">My Photos<br
---
Bob Smith (smithr)
Austin, Texas baby!
2010 Kawasaki Concours, Midnight Blue
COG 6197, CDA 107

Offline Slybones

• Sport Tourer
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 6953
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
Cruise Control is Great!
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 11:13:00 pm »
Cool. Glad that worked out for ya. Yeah its pretty much a freeway thing, IMO. I too found it a bit rough at the lower speeds, even with the settings set as suggested. But its great on the slab. Holds speed real nice.  
2003 Concours, 121K
2005 GL1800ABS, 52K
COG #6953, IBA 28004

Offline JPavlis_CA

• San Jose CA
  • Sport Tourer
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 2293
  • Membership Level: Active
Cruise Control is Great!
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2008, 12:09:00 am »
Here's one to really impress them, Bob.     According to Keith Code, a bike will maintain it's course, as long as there is no change in speed. If you could maintain your speed in a curve, once you set your line, you should be able to take both hands off the bars and the bike will continue on the line you set.    Well, I just had to test that for myself. Oh man, talk about giggles.  :)  Try it some time, it's just plain weird. Make sure you have a nice long sweeper that doesn't change radius. Set your entry speed, set the cruise, lean in and let go.  :gasp:  
All God's male children tend to be low-life, sleaze-ball, early apexers - Terry Earwood, Chief Instructor, Skip Barber Racing School.

Offline Robert_Buchaklian_CA

• Big Wheels
Cruise Control is Great!
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2008, 09:49:00 am »
I don't think I have the experience to try hands off in a sweeper-Yikes! I think I'll just stay with the straight slabs for now.  

Offline Slybones

• Sport Tourer
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 6953
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
Cruise Control is Great!
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2008, 12:12:00 am »
I dont even have the balls to try hands off, in a straight line for more than a few seconds. I use the CC quite often to give the throttle hand a rest on long rides, switching back and forth with at least one hand in contact.  
2003 Concours, 121K
2005 GL1800ABS, 52K
COG #6953, IBA 28004

Offline smithr1

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 6197
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
Cruise Control is Great!
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2008, 07:30:00 pm »
With this bikes head shake hx I would not take both hands off either.  I know it only tends to shake decelerating through 50-45 mph but still...  ----------------------------------  I will answer any question.  It is up to you to figure out if I should have.    <p align="left">My Photos<br
---
Bob Smith (smithr)
Austin, Texas baby!
2010 Kawasaki Concours, Midnight Blue
COG 6197, CDA 107