Author Topic: Delkevic DL10s??  (Read 397 times)

Offline tdbru

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 10824
  • Membership Level: Active
Delkevic DL10s??
« on: August 01, 2018, 01:28:21 am »
anyone throw the Delkevic DL10s on their C10 yet?  if so is there any report out?
thanks,
Brian

Offline Mettler1

• Iron Butt
  • You want answers? We got answers!!
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 1431
Re: Delkevic DL10s??
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2018, 01:53:54 am »
I have a set of

http://delkevic.com/18-stainless-steel-oval-muffler-to-fit-concours-1000-1986-2006/

Lighter in weight and sound  great!!

Is this what you are looking for.
http://delkevic.com/mufflers-slip-on/kawasaki/1994-models/

« Last Edit: August 01, 2018, 02:00:17 am by Mettler1 »
'94 Concours 115,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,SiSF'sTorque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators, SiSF carb Spa, Delkevic exhaust, Murphs' knee savers +grips, etc

Offline tdbru

• Road Bike
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2018, 02:52:24 am »

Offline Mettler1

• Iron Butt
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2018, 03:14:57 am »
   Haven't tried the ones you are looking at but they make a nice product and are a lot lighter than stock. Really wasn't into the carbon fiber look but they look NICE!!

Like my brother in-law said, "Only a couple of $$$ to go first class!! :) :)
« Last Edit: August 01, 2018, 03:18:25 am by Mettler1 »
'94 Concours 115,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,SiSF'sTorque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators, SiSF carb Spa, Delkevic exhaust, Murphs' knee savers +grips, etc

Offline connieklr

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 1608
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2018, 12:25:18 pm »
I have the same ones as Mettler1. Won them at the National in Helen, GA. They sound/look great but I did do a couple of slight tweaks to the carbs to make them run a little cleaner on my bike - YMMV

My only complaint is that I cannot keep my trailer hitch in place. Their up swept angle and tight in fit required that the hitch come off. Other than than, I like'em.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2018, 04:51:21 pm by connieklr »
COG #1608
COG Life Member
Semi-Civilian
GB Young Services, LLC

Offline tdbru

• Road Bike
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2018, 12:45:47 am »
thanks guys.   if they're not obnoxiously loud, the weight savings looks very attractive.
-Brian

Offline Mettler1

• Iron Butt
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2018, 01:10:23 am »
   Jim Snyder has these and add a little something extra. Tried it and it works fine. Makes a little more mellow sound.
uote from: Solomookie on February 27, 2015, 12:21:28 pm
As a prologue to the Delkevic review..  When I first got them, the header area of my exhaust system was heavily corroded to the point of having a gaping hole in it.  I jury rigged a patch, but there was definitely still plenty of extra noise coming through.  I just replaced the down pipes and header with a low mileage set I got off flea bay.  The quieter pipes make the Delkevics sound even better.  They are a tad louder than I would like, but the growl is terrific.  If I could find a way to shave about 5 db off without changing the timbre, they would be perfect.

As it is, I still really like them.  I will ride with them for a while to see which wins out; cool voice or sound level.  I do likes me a quiet bike.

One trick I found is using stainless steel kitchen scrubber pads. Just remove the baffle and shove them in ahead of the baffle then bolt it back in and it will reduce the sound a little. And since they are stainless steel they won't rust. And even if they do come apart after a while they are easy to replace.

Mettler1-  I used the stainless steel pads but stretched to twice the size and shoved them in ahead of the baffle. Muffled the sound a little more to the mellow sound I like. :great:
« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 02:04:56 am by Mettler1 »

Offline tdbru

• Road Bike
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2018, 07:12:09 pm »
Mettler1,
thanks for the hints about the SS scrubber pads and such.  i just ordered the DL10s.  so by next weekend i'll know just how loud they are or aren't.  but they're so much lighter in weight than factory.
thanks for the info!!
-Brian

Offline Jim Snyder

• Crotch Rocket
  • Oops, my Connie turned into and FJR !!!
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 7055
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2018, 07:49:30 pm »
The only way to not have obnoxious noise is to go with the 18" Delkevics.
"Some days you're the windshield, and some days you're the bug" Get used to it cause thats life !!!

Offline tdbru

• Road Bike
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2018, 09:05:14 pm »
Got them put on.  total weight of the DL10s with everything 9lbs. 11oz.   
total weight of factory mufflers that came off 20lbs. 9oz.

kit had 2 midpipes, 2 exhaust gaskets, 2 DL10s, 4 nice clamps.  2 muffler hangers, 2 muffler hanger rubber strips, some silicon exhaust gasket in a tube.  2 screws for plugging the holes in case you decide to remove the db killers (center baffles), written instructions.

the mid pipe on the left side had the kickstand and centerstand bumper pads + bumper pad arms on it.

mid pipes and ends of DL10s are polished stainless

DL10 of course are carbon fiber outside.

they came with the "db killers" installed.  i did not remove them.

took about an hour and a half to remove the factory mufflers (and weigh them) and install the Delkevics.  but i'm not a particularly speedy wrench.

of course today it is scheduled to rain.  and was misting earlier.

i'll get a ride on it tomorrow. 

i'll get some photos posted in a week or so.

-Brian

Offline Mettler1

• Iron Butt
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2018, 02:46:17 am »
  Give us a update!!  >:D

Offline tdbru

• Road Bike
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2018, 06:56:04 pm »
here's an update (no photos yet).

took it for a spin.  when i fired it up, it sounded asymetrical.  left side sounded louder than right.  i was getting what sounded like full volume of the left hand side of exhaust (i.e. no muffler at all) and exhaust sound through muffler on the right.  really crappy.  and LOUD on the left side.  was disappointed.  thought i'd have to pull it off and go to stock again.  got home.  let it cool off over night.  next day pulled the left side apart and re-installed everything and TIGHTENED the clamps.  today,  deep mean throaty GROWL but not near as loud.  i guess i just didn't get things put together correctly the first time.  starting it up and blipping the throttle, had a nice deep throaty growl, but it's not really under any load either.  around town (stoplight to ~40mph) it's louder than stock, and the rpm is low enough that you hear the individual cylinders exhaust opening, like with factory but lower tone and louder.  at ~45 mph and above,, cruising, low load, the rpm is high enough that it just goes into a lower level humm and the wind noise in the helmet starts to be the main irritant.  when you put the engine under load at the higher rpms it's definitely LOUDER.  but when cruising at freeway speeds where the motor is lightly loaded the growl tames down into a humm.  i always wear earplugs, but this is a louder exhaust over all so the earplugs will continue to be used.  around town it's enough louder, and you get the individual pressure waves,  to be irritating at the lower rpms.  sort of like a small economy car (4 banger) with a bad muffler.  on the freeway, it just humms along.  louder than stock but not annoying when cruising at highway speed.  when on the throttle at speed it GROWLS nicely.  and that would get annoying if it was steady at that volume.  fortunately it just kicks in when passing or accelerating and then backs down to a humm when you settle back into a cruise. 

so my quasi final assessment at this time,  i like 'em enough to keep them on right now.  it's a compromise.  they're lighter.  they're louder.  as i run them for the next month I'll have a much better opinion, with respect to the sound level.  i'll be doing the NW lavarun this coming weekend.  lots of long riding so it should prove to be a period where i can form a firm opinion of the DL10s in terms of tone quality and volume.  i'm all in with respect to the light weight.  that's the main reason i invested in the DL10s.  if i could find an exhaust that weighed 1 lb. and was totally quiet, without hamstringing the motor, i'd be super happy.  but that's not likely going to ever happen.  i will likely never know if these add HP to the motor by reducing back pressure.  you typically only see those improvements at WOT near the upper RPM ranges, and that's not where i ride anyway.

the reason i figured out i hadn't got the left side put on well, was that when the centerstand came up, and hit the bumper pad, the pipe rotated.  hmmm....  maybe i didn't install it very well, time for a do-over.....      Glad i pulled it apart and re-installed the left side.  much better.

photos to come later, likely after the NW LavaRun.
-Brian

Offline tdbru

• Road Bike
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2018, 07:03:46 pm »
as far as appearance,  with the side cases on, the mufflers are pretty much hidden anyway.  with the side cases off, the slash cut ends look good, probably because it's fairly unique as compared to most MC pipes i see.  to really show them off you'd have to run around without the side cases on.
-Brian

Offline Mettler1

• Iron Butt
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2018, 10:03:17 pm »
  We wanna see the photos!!   :motonoises:    :motonoises: