Author Topic: Dieing C10  (Read 265 times)

Offline Ortho

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Dieing C10
« on: October 14, 2018, 08:11:28 pm »
I have a 2006 C10 with 65k miles. Recently after riding about 130 freeway miles the bike starts to miss like it does just before you switch to reserve. However is continues to sputter and stall when switched to prime or reserve. If you stop and open the tank filler and switch the petcock to prime and wait about 15 minuets it will start andrun fine for about another 30 miles and then it will sputter and die. If you then fill the tank completely it will run just fine for another 130 miles at which time the problem comes back. I have checked the petcock and it is clean and working and I also installed a new gas line filer. I am thinking that is may be the vent in the gas cap is plugged and is causing a vacuum in the tank causing a stoppage in the fuel flow. Has anyone experienced this problem?  What is the fix?

Offline Bud

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
Re: Dieing C10
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2018, 10:16:02 pm »
Yup it has been an issue for some.  It is a venting problem in the gas cap.  This thread should help.  http://forum.cog-online.org/concours-c10-zg1000-general-chat-and-tech/gas-tank-vacuum-lock/

Offline Ortho

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2018, 01:28:35 am »
Is there anything that I should be aware of when I take the cap apart?

Offline Bud

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: Forum
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2018, 08:52:49 am »
I have not had my cap apart, so I can't answer that one.

Offline cra-z1000

• Crotch Rocket
  • Keeping it upright..
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 9790
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2018, 10:26:37 am »
You'll be able to tell if its the tank vent by opening it as soon as it dies to check for pressure (vaccum) if she fires up after that you found it . Could also be the fuel line kinking so check that too . with a full tank theres enough gravity to get the fuel flowing past the kink .
1987 C 10
80 Kawasaki KZ 1000 MK 2
74 Honda 750 four ss
73 Suzuki 550 triple
72 Honda 550 four

Offline Victor Salisbury

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 3673
  • Membership Level: Event Host
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2018, 11:05:39 am »
Many years ago, fuel tank cap vent already removed, but.....trying to run one of those smaller motorcycle specific fuel filters, same symptoms as you described. I did not get the 'big woosh' when popping the cap after the bike quit.  I converted to the 90 degree p/n 3006 fuel filter, symptom went away. Now my scenario, it only happened when highway running. Around town I never noticed, I was assuming the 'head' pressure of half a tank of gas wouldn't allow enough flow at hwy speeds, but close enough for around town.
So fuel filter (in line type) clogged/not flowing enough, or a kinked fuel line, which gets worse as the engine heat builds up in the fuel line.
If you do not get a big woosh of air when you pop the gas cap, I'd look at flow from the petcock to the carbs.
If you do get the big woosh, the cap vent is a good suspect.

If you do disassemble the gas cap, remove it from the tank first (there is a small phillips screw under the cap that has to be removed), then use a well lit area, with room for small screws and other bits to not walk/ slide away.
Vic Salisbury
COG #3673 
'97 Connie "The Grinch" 
Sarasota, FL 
www.cog-online.org 
Stupid Hurts! Wearing protective gear is much more comfortable.

Offline Mettler1

• Iron Butt
  • You want answers? We got answers!!
  • COG#: 1431
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2018, 12:52:55 pm »
  NAPA fuel filter.
https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/FIL3006

Put mine in the fuel line above the carbs. Makes a nice 90 degree down to the carbs with no kinks in the fuel line.

'94 Concours 115,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,SiSF'sTorque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators, SiSF carb Spa, Delkevic exhaust, Murphs' knee savers +grips, etc

Offline Pbfoot

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 10807
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2018, 01:29:09 pm »
Leave the little Phillip's(JIS) screw out on installation.  That way if your key wont open the gas cap you can still remove the cap assembly.
If you don't have time to do it right, when do you have time to do it over.                                                                17" wheels, Nissin 4 piston calipers.1kg Sonic Springs.Cartridge Fork Emulators. KB Brace. Galfer brake lines  Free power mod.