Author Topic: Difficult to start  (Read 554 times)

Offline Pbfoot

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 10807
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: Difficult to start
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2018, 11:06:41 am »
so now, please stop chasing electrical gremlins, put all the wires back to as they were, as you recently made a discovery in the "other area I noted above, addressing the "original issue of hard starting, and poor running"

http://forum.cog-online.org/concours-c10-zg1000-general-chat-and-tech/valve-adjustment-clearance/msg652544/#msg652544

good job, now you know that part is covered... and can report back....

:rotflmao: :great: :great: :motonoises:

That was what I needed to hear. Thank you! Did not realize the valve adjustment was the primary issue.  :-[ Stopped tinkering, put it all back together, and she started immediately. I had no idea these motorcycles started so easy.

Appreciate the help all.  :)
  Sweet!! You're welcome!
If you don't have time to do it right, when do you have time to do it over.                                                                17" wheels, Nissin 4 piston calipers.1kg Sonic Springs.Cartridge Fork Emulators. KB Brace. Galfer brake lines  Free power mod.

Offline SteveJ.

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 5603
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2018, 11:12:13 am »
so now, please stop chasing electrical gremlins, put all the wires back to as they were, as you recently made a discovery in the "other area I noted above, addressing the "original issue of hard starting, and poor running"

http://forum.cog-online.org/concours-c10-zg1000-general-chat-and-tech/valve-adjustment-clearance/msg652544/#msg652544

good job, now you know that part is covered... and can report back....

:rotflmao: :great: :great: :motonoises:

That was what I needed to hear. Thank you! Did not realize the valve adjustment was the primary issue.  :-[ Stopped tinkering, put it all back together, and she started immediately. I had no idea these motorcycles started so easy.

Appreciate the help all.  :)

Just an FYI but I would go back in and check the valves no later than the next oil change. With valves that tight you couod have had some deposits left on the seating area that would be removed, thus tightening them up again. It shouldn't be critical but you never know, without checking.

Glad it all worked out.

Do keep records od what you found the clearances to be and what you set them to. This info will help you to extend the clearance check interval. After putting in SISF Torque cams my clearances never moved for 60k miles and had slowed significantly before then after about 60-70k miles. The cams went in at about 140k and I sold the bike with over 234k miles on it.
Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SiSF)
Tick Tock, baby (Ironbuttal)
Steve J  Tavares, FL, one of the Floriduh Steves
'15 Versys650LT, '98 KLR650, (back home), '99 C-10, 234k miles sold

Offline Bham Greg

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2018, 04:15:24 pm »

Just an FYI but I would go back in and check the valves no later than the next oil change. With valves that tight you couod have had some deposits left on the seating area that would be removed, thus tightening them up again. It shouldn't be critical but you never know, without checking.

Will do. Now that I know what to do it seems easy.