Author Topic: disable air cut valves?  (Read 336 times)

Offline batboy

• Road Bike
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 12983
  • Membership Level: Active
disable air cut valves?
« on: June 21, 2019, 03:24:52 pm »
I want to know what this guy asked (he never got a reply). Is the webpage article he posted legit? Those air cut valve parts, especially the diaphragms, are expensive and often go bad.

I bypassed the aircut on my last CB with good results.  I wonder its been tried on the Connie.  They are very similar carbs ( except choke vs enricher)

http://www.motorcycleproject.com/text/aircut_valve_more.html
1988 Kawasaki Concours ZG1000 - Ninja Edition
Bike has the usual accessories and modifications

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
Re: disable air cut valves?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2019, 04:55:13 pm »
If you buy Kaw OEM parts, the price is very high, but they are very effective, and important on these carbs if installed from the factory
(larger Ninja carbs did not have them, nor was there a place for them on the body of those carbs)

43028-1053   DIAPHRAGM,AIR CUT VALVE
43028-0016         NEW NUMBER
$65

92055-1245   RING-O
$3

2 of each are required.

If you search on e-bay tho, they can be found for less than $20,
they are used on a ton of Kawasaki models, from '86 right up thru today.

That pair of diaphragms, controls a lean burn condition in the exhaust, kinda like the opposite of the reed valve assemblies we were just talking about, but when the lean condition exists, it allows a metered amount of raw fuel to be supplied to enrichen the exhaust, providing a cooling effect, and again reduces backfiring during throttle transistions.
The layman often sees these parts of the balanced carburation designs, as superflous, and not needed, but as the systems were originally designed, and used, each and every part works in concert with each other, to give balance.

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline batboy

• Road Bike
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2019, 07:55:08 pm »
Thanks for the explanation. I looked at prices of OEM diaphragms and they were not as bad as I was first led to believe. I have just enough in my carb budget for them. Ok, the two air cut valves get rebuilt when I rebuild the carbs. I want these carburetors to be done right. I have like three guides I'm using, including MOB's COG article about carbs ( have it printed out).

Offline Lee

• Road Bike
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 12558
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2019, 12:34:30 am »
" have like three guides I'm using, including MOB's COG article about carbs ( have it printed out)."

Could you elaborate on these three? Where is MOB's COG article about carbs especially. Thanks in advance! COG Search option failed to turn it up........

Offline batboy

• Road Bike
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2019, 01:00:38 am »
Go to the tech pages and do a search on the Concourier newsletters. You're looking for an article called "The Carbs, it ain't a diet thang." I think you need to be a COG member. I found some other guides from other sites too. It's probably not cool to post those links here. PM me if you want more info. If you can find Rich's article, you won't need the other guides (except maybe for advanced tuning). I will have to disagree with Rich about choice of music though. He says AC/DC is best for cleaning carbs. I admit, it's high energy rock and it has it's place, but for me, I prefer Pink Floyd for rebuilding carbs.

Offline Lee

• Road Bike
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2019, 07:38:18 am »
Found it! Thanks! Only Richard Riczinger in search bar of tech pages would pull it and three other articles though. Yeah a COG member, but Password protection worked to allow only for read, but the PDF file permissions would not allow printing.

I liked zip tie recommendation to assist in air box boot install. Will try it next time I am there. Also will make sure my kits have pilot air needles included. One of mine was off it's center and had to wait for order of a single new one during rebuild process. Shipping price sucked.

Good article! Wish I could print it for my quick reference.

Oh bye de bye, my carbs liked Bonnie Raitt and some other R&B crooners.  If I may use that epithet given primarily to male jazz singers supposedly. She seemed to copacetic with setting floats especially. Next time I rebuild they may like Zydeco however. One never knows.

Offline batboy

• Road Bike
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2019, 11:56:09 am »
LOL, I was wondering if anyone would pick up on the fact that I printed it out. They have printing disabled (presumably to limit unauthorized distribution of the article), but if you have mad computer skillz, there are ways...

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2019, 09:00:46 pm »
LOL, I was wondering if anyone would pick up on the fact that I printed it out. They have printing disabled (presumably to limit unauthorized distribution of the article), but if you have mad computer skillz, there are ways...

I don't know about mad computer skills, but it can be "saved as a file", on your machine, but you also have to write down/save the "secret password" in order to use the file later.. just saying. All of that stuff is protected by COG copywrite, so.. PLEASE don't distribute it.

because if I catch you, you have to pay me off... as I wrote it... and I don't work cheap.. hell, when I wrote that piece, I was making almost $80k at "my day job... ", so anything I wrote is worth 2x per hour.. :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :nananana:
 :)) :)) :)) :))

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline Lee

• Road Bike
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2019, 11:38:54 pm »
I read the copyright laws once back in the 80's as a job requirement when an audio visual librarian work study employee in school. So many damn exceptions and loopholes doubt seriously anyone could afford to do protection litigation save Sony pictures or some such corporation. It is an honor system, kind of like pad locks would be my non lawyer surmise.

I know where article is now, would have to go back to find the password anyway. Glad article was pointed out by BB and for his help tracking it down.

Good article MOB! Thanks for your effort. Wish I knew of it April a year prior. Had to rely on my non C10 experiences and the manuals. Found float height measure to be the worst of it. Got it to plus or minus 0.00 across all four carbs. Built a jig to police measure of all four at once. Tried my patience before that though.  Next was just getting damn things back in the bike. Steve's vid helped there.