Author Topic: Does anybody know this Concours?  (Read 1580 times)

Offline David

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Does anybody know this Concours?
« on: December 16, 2018, 03:02:21 am »
I'm considering purchasing my first Connie, it's at Moon Motorcycles in Issaquah,  WA.  COG bumper sticker on the left saddlebag.  Non stock generic quick release topen trunk.  12v lighter style outlet in left glovebox.  Heated grips.  Green LED just below the windscreen that flashes to remind you to turn off your turn signals.  2004 model.  Hoping the owner is on here or someone can give me some history on this particular bike.  I rode it today and loved it,  but as a bit of a novice would love a second opinion.   Thanks in advance!   David
« Last Edit: December 27, 2018, 03:11:50 am by David, Reason: spelling error --OCD »

Offline Bud

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 12907
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: Does anybody know this Concours?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2018, 09:50:21 am »
Welcome!  Pics would be really helpful in this case.  If you have pics and are technically challenged, I'll help you out with that.  Send a PM and I'll get them up for you.
2005 Kawasaki Concours
2001 Kawasaki Concours
1982 Suzuki GS1100GK
1983 Honda GL650I SilverWing

Offline David

• Big Wheels
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2018, 05:21:50 pm »
I didn't even think about taking photos and am far away, but there are photos on the dealer's website at www.moonmotorcycles.com.  Hoping to find the P.O. if possible or someone in the Puget Sound area who knows this bike.  Thanks again, David

Offline Nosmo

• Sport Tourer
  • "We're all in this together" -- Red Green
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2018, 05:48:21 pm »
Just FYI:

The bike also had a Rifle windshield, fork brace, and appears to have handlebar risers/.
2003 Connie    2007 Wee-Strom   

"What could possibly go wrong...click....go wrong...click...go wrong...click...go wrong..."

Offline Mettler1

• Iron Butt
  • You want answers? We got answers!!
  • COG#: 1431
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2018, 05:55:39 pm »
   All I can say is it looks very nice and less than 40,000 miles the Concours is nearly like new. The Concours  will last up to well over a 100,000 miles if maintained properly. The Rifle windshield is a nice touch. About the only thing I would do is look in the gas tank for rust. If no rust it was probably stored in a decent garage.

With COG (Concours Owners Group) you have a WHOLE lot of expertise (years) right at you finger tips!!!  Good Luck!!
'94 Concours 115,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,SiSF'sTorque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators, SiSF carb Spa, Delkevic exhaust, Murphs' knee savers +grips, etc

Online robertv

• Street Cruiser
  • Go Hawks!
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2018, 06:03:36 pm »
Welcome David! At first I thought it was mine since I had similar farkles added but I had a 2000. As for Moon Motorcycles, great place to buy your bike and also get any maintenance done that you can't do yourself. I've had my tires replaced by them twice plus when I didn't have time, brake & clutch fluids flushed. Friendly and helpful guys there, best of luck on future connie ownership!

2008 C14, silver [current]
2000 C10, red [sold]

Offline Mettler1

• Iron Butt
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2018, 08:48:36 pm »
Welcome David! At first I thought it was mine since I had similar farkles added but I had a 2000. As for Moon Motorcycles, great place to buy your bike and also get any maintenance done that you can't do yourself. I've had my tires replaced by them twice plus when I didn't have time, brake & clutch fluids flushed. Friendly and helpful guys there, best of luck on future connie ownership!

Their you go!!! Good motorcycle shops are hard to find. Good luck and let us know how it works out!! :great:
'94 Concours 115,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,SiSF'sTorque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators, SiSF carb Spa, Delkevic exhaust, Murphs' knee savers +grips, etc

Offline Bud

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2018, 09:05:40 pm »
Here ya go
2005 Kawasaki Concours
2001 Kawasaki Concours
1982 Suzuki GS1100GK

Offline Fester

• Tricycle
  • COG#: 12614
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2018, 01:57:14 pm »
That looks like it could be a good deal, if it has been properly maintained. I have a 2004 that looks quite similar, right down to the Rifle Windscreen.  That alone, I think, was about a $200 farkle.  Mine has a bit over 50,000 on the clock and has been a nearly trouble-free machine for the six or seven years I've owned it. The only problem I had was that it developed a slight oil leak at the water pump because of a failed seal.  With the resources available here on COG, I was able to fix that problem in an afternoon for about $15 plus the cost of new oil and coolant. I can't imagine what a dealership would have charged to fix it.  You can save a great deal of $$$ wrenching on your own machine; the old Connie has proven relatively easy to work on.

Offline David

• Big Wheels
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2018, 11:41:25 pm »
Yes, that's my concern.  I would like to think that a former (maybe current?) COG member would never neglect their bike, but anything's possible.  While I have no complaints about the folks at Moon Motorcycles, I do wish they could put me in touch with the P.O. for historical reference.  I did finally find the classifieds on the forum and am encouraged that this bike is (1) a fair price point and (2) not a unicorn -- if someone else does snap it up before I get to it there are others popping up from time to time. 

Offline DC Concours

• Sport Tourer
  • 2001 Concours, ~19K miles
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2018, 04:21:28 pm »
You found the owner on here. Was it well cared for? You can PM him.

Yes, that's my concern.  I would like to think that a former (maybe current?) COG member would never neglect their bike, but anything's possible.  While I have no complaints about the folks at Moon Motorcycles, I do wish they could put me in touch with the P.O. for historical reference.  I did finally find the classifieds on the forum and am encouraged that this bike is (1) a fair price point and (2) not a unicorn -- if someone else does snap it up before I get to it there are others popping up from time to time. 

Offline David

• Big Wheels
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2018, 03:10:52 am »
Hello kind and helpful souls, I appreciate all the help thus far, but found a bike I like even better than the one in Seattle.  It's in Illinois, one COG owner, a 2001 well maintained and thoroughly farkled.  What sold me on the bike is that the dealer put me in touch with the PO who shared wonderful memories of his many rides with the bike since he bought it new.  The dealer is happy to store the bike for me until I can pick it up in the spring and ride it home.  I'm sure I'll be asking many more detailed questions of the group going forward, and look forward to meeting you in person at a rally or event.  Thanks again, David
Linky to my new bike:
https://www.worldofpowersports.com/Pre-owned-Inventory-2001-Kawasaki-Motorcycle-Scooter-ZG1000A16-CONCOURS-Decatur-6069604?ref=list
« Last Edit: December 27, 2018, 03:14:52 am by David, Reason: Attempting to add photo »

Offline DC Concours

• Sport Tourer
  • 2001 Concours, ~19K miles
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2018, 03:54:20 am »
Congrats. But you went from WA to IL all because you wanted to speak to the owner of the bike before purchase!?!?

Offline Mettler1

• Iron Butt
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2018, 05:35:22 am »
  David, great looking C10 and hardly broke in!! :great:          :motonoises: :motonoises:

Offline Bud

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2018, 01:04:52 pm »
Here ya go.
2005 Kawasaki Concours
2001 Kawasaki Concours
1982 Suzuki GS1100GK

Offline David

• Big Wheels
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2018, 07:31:34 pm »
Congrats. But you went from WA to IL all because you wanted to speak to the owner of the bike before purchase!?!?
Absolutely.  To me the history of a motorcycle is almost more important than the original design.  The owner has has 18 years to make it his own, for better or for worse.  I wanted to make sure it was for better, and in talking with him, that certainly seems to be the case.  Oh, and I like the color of the '01 better than the '04.   :)

Offline Derick

• Road Bike
    • BeginnerBikers.org
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2019, 03:40:38 am »
1700 bucks. What a steal.
Current Bikes:
2006 Kawasaki Concours///COG#:11628
2006 Honda Goldwing 1800///GWRRA#:398646

Offline Rev Ryder

• Officer
  • I Need a Life
  • We came. We saw. We Concours-ed.
    • Presbychuck
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 7235
  • Membership Level: Executive Director
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2019, 04:52:37 am »
Congratulations!  Very nice!   :great:
Fortis non Ferox
 Shafties Can't Wheelie

Offline Rastus

• Bicycle
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 12520
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2019, 08:53:48 pm »
Hey David, I just bought a 2003 Concours 2 years ago with 37,000 miles, trunk, superbike bars, and paid considerably more than $1699. That's a steal for this bike. I currently have a bit over 61,000 miles on mine, and love it.

Offline Jorge

• Sport Tourer
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 9297
  • Membership Level: Event Host
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2019, 02:29:54 am »
Nice find David!!!
I also like the color very much.
I think anyone who went to the trouble to paint the windshield base to match would take good care of the bike.
There are a number running around with over 200,000 miles, and MANY with over 100,000.
mine had 75,000+ when I killed it by throwing it down a 15' ditch at speed :'(
It ran like new, and had required very little work for the years I had it.

and WELCOME :great:

Offline Nosmo

• Sport Tourer
  • "We're all in this together" -- Red Green
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2019, 02:53:52 pm »
You should be arrested for motorcycle theft, man.  You stole that baby!  Just the visible farkles alone are worth what you paid.  Good find.
2003 Connie    2007 Wee-Strom   

"What could possibly go wrong...click....go wrong...click...go wrong...click...go wrong..."