Author Topic: Don't be like me, dropped screw in #2 cylinder  (Read 523 times)

Offline crag antler

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 8277
  • Membership Level: Active
Don't be like me, dropped screw in #2 cylinder
« on: June 29, 2019, 01:53:15 pm »
While working on the C-10, I was putting the block off plates on with no spark plugs in  :-\ and..... Did the worse thing I could do >:( :'(
Dropped the screw and it went right into the #2 cylinder. Looked inside with my flashlight and sure enough could just see the threads toward the front of the piston.
Tried magnet and grabber tools from work but magnet tool was too large to fit down spark plug hole.
Grabber could not capture :??:
Tried shop vac with tube tight against and no luck. :-[
Started reviewing Kaw manual on removing head and truly was not looking forward to that.
Tried borescope from work but head too large to get in.
Gave it a few days and got a loaner borescope from autozone 17 miles away.
Told unit was brand new and they gave me new batteries. Right diameter and I thought I was on right path.
Got back home and it didn't work. Different batteries and all :truce:
Went out this am before the 90F heat kicked in and spun a piece of surgical steel rod I had.
Was able to spin it around and finally heard the screw moving.
Wife's friend gave me a magnetic retrieval tool a few years back and at the time I thought, what would I need that for??? ::) Actually forgot all about it.
Got it out and tried. 1st time and snagged the screw. Kind of like a game of Operation but it is out :)
Thank God it wasn't stainless and I didn't have to pull the head.

Lesson learned, always leave the plugs in while working above the cylinders or at least plug them.
 :great: :great: :great: :motonoises:
Doug aka crag antler
00 Kawasaki Concours 60,000+ miles. Bar risers, Murphs kneesavers, blockoff plates, allen head screw set,headlight upgrade. LED headlight, driving lights, JC Whitney trunk, Go Pro mount,’06 header w/Jet-Hot ceramic coating, over flow tubes and Performance Exhaust Sprocket by SISF

Offline DC Concours

• Sport Tourer
  • 2001 Concours, ~19K miles
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: Don't be like me, dropped screw in #2 cylinder
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2019, 02:08:51 pm »
Damn. That was an ordeal. I once had to fish a MAF screw that had fallen in the crevasses of my car's engine compartment. Used an rc toy radio retractable antenna and a little bit of some sticky double sided tape.

Offline Nosmo

• Sport Tourer
  • "We're all in this together" -- Red Green
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2019, 02:23:58 pm »
Forty years ago when I was an A&P mechanic, one of the guys in our shop dropped a #10 screw when working on an engine, but didn't take the trouble to look for it.  If course, the plugs were out and a lot of other things open.  The airplane went back in service, and after a couple of hours of flight, the engine (rear engine on a Cessna Skymaster) started running rough.  Inspection found every piston head hammered, several valves bent, seats chipped, etc.  The screw had migrated from cylinder to cylinder through the intake runners before exiting the exhaust.  Cost the company a top overhaul.  $$$$$$$
2003 Connie    2007 Wee-Strom   

"What could possibly go wrong...click....go wrong...click...go wrong...click...go wrong..."

Offline Bud

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 12907
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2019, 03:02:18 pm »
Forty years ago when I was an A&P mechanic, one of the guys in our shop dropped a #10 screw when working on an engine, but didn't take the trouble to look for it.  If course, the plugs were out and a lot of other things open.  The airplane went back in service, and after a couple of hours of flight, the engine (rear engine on a Cessna Skymaster) started running rough.  Inspection found every piston head hammered, several valves bent, seats chipped, etc.  The screw had migrated from cylinder to cylinder through the intake runners before exiting the exhaust.  Cost the company a top overhaul.  $$$$$$$
OUCH!
2005 Kawasaki Concours
2001 Kawasaki Concours
1982 Suzuki GS1100GK
1983 Honda GL650I SilverWing

Online connieklr

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 1608
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2019, 05:22:19 pm »

Fortunately, it was a twin - OR - it could have been much worse.

I always liked those planes.
COG #1608
COG Life Member
Semi-Civilian
GB Young Services, LLC

Offline DC Concours

• Sport Tourer
  • 2001 Concours, ~19K miles
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2019, 06:10:11 pm »
Imagine how many other screws are lost in cars,  planes,  bikes running everywhere and no one knows. Scary. 

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2019, 06:45:54 pm »
you learned a great lesson there, sorry it was such a pain, but I'm sure you can laugh about it now..
I always blow the plug wells out with compressed air, before pulling the plugs; I even in some cases, where it's not "my bike", and I'm unsure what "may already be in them", I use a "pick", and probe and circle the plug, and blow this all out again...
once the plug is out, I immediatly Insert a paper towel in the plug well.. just to prevent this exact thing, or even dirt and crud from dropping in there...

but, if you asked a kid in elementary school.. they could have been amazingly helpful...  I think I was 7 when I made my first "electromagnet"... and have made many, and used them just for the purpose of "getting a steel object" form a confined space, over the 57 years since then...

the more turns of wire, the better it works....

https://youtu.be/_odHVX4mUAQ

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline m in sc

• Road Bike
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2019, 06:56:03 pm »
had to pull one out of my buddys 66 ducati scrambler. stainless bowl screw. got a shop vac, taped a pvc endcap to the end of the hose, tapped in a small barb fitting, used a piece of small urethane hose on the barb and down the plughole it went. took about 10 minutes but we got it. what a pia.

Offline Pilgrim

• Street Cruiser
  • '12 Black
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2019, 07:08:52 pm »
Crag,
Good story.  I'm glad things worked out for you.

Nosmo,
Also a good story.  I'm sure you're aware that Foreign Object Debris (FOD) is a serious issue in the aerospace manufacturing industry.  We get reminded every year with compliance training.

Offline crag antler

• Mini Bike
  • COG#: 8277
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2019, 12:25:15 am »

Nosmo,
Also a good story.  I'm sure you're aware that Foreign Object Debris (FOD) is a serious issue in the aerospace manufacturing industry.  We get reminded every year with compliance training.

FOD training was huge back in my Space Center days.
Doug aka crag antler
00 Kawasaki Concours 60,000+ miles. Bar risers, Murphs kneesavers, blockoff plates, allen head screw set,headlight upgrade. LED headlight, driving lights, JC Whitney trunk, Go Pro mount,’06 header w/Jet-Hot ceramic coating, over flow tubes and Performance Exhaust Sprocket by SISF

Offline Nosmo

• Sport Tourer
  • "We're all in this together" -- Red Green
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2019, 04:07:05 am »

Fortunately, it was a twin - OR - it could have been much worse.

I always liked those planes.

Probably because you didn't have to work on them ----  AAARRGH!  If I was a billionaire, I'd buy every one on the planet and have a giant bonfire.

FOD training is one thing...FOD caring is something else entirely.
2003 Connie    2007 Wee-Strom   

"What could possibly go wrong...click....go wrong...click...go wrong...click...go wrong..."

Offline Radar

• Bicycle
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2019, 11:31:24 am »
At least you knew where it went and rescued it.

Offline kkja13

• Mini Bike
  • Tyler, TX
  • AREA: South Central Area
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2019, 04:39:19 pm »
I was working on a friends riding mower a while back.  I pulled the head for another reason, I found a small screw embedded in the piston.  We decided it was most likely one of the choke butterfly screws that someone had "lost" and replaced with another.  The engine ran fine at the time, but likely made a few weird noises when it initially happened until the screw was embedded fully. :)

Another story:
A coworker was fogging the cylinders of his Camaro for longterm storage.  When spraying a cylinder the little straw on the spray can shot into the cylinder.  As (bad) luck would have it, that piston was at the bottom of the stroke so there was plenty of room for the straw.  He eventually retrieved it through the spark plug hole, but it took a lot of work and time..

BE CAREFUL!!!
2004 C10
2003 Suzuki SV650s
2000 Kawasaki Eliminator 125 (75mpg!)
1993 Suzuki DR350; 1984 Honda XR200R (RFVC); 1985 Yamaha PW80; 1975 Yamaha DT175;
1974 Honda ST90; 1973 Honda Z50 (first bike, still runs)

Offline JS

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: South Central Area
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2019, 12:35:30 am »
Close call...In a prior post I mentioned the possibility for objects falling into a cylinder, etc.  It's a risk working on these bikes, one false move and it may never run again.

Offline Thud300

• Taking the long way everywhere
  • Street Cruiser
  • my YouTube channel: "ToastRider"
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2019, 12:55:24 am »
When I was an apprentice tech at a Cadillac dealer, my 'mentor' was working on a DeVille with the throttle body uncovered, he was using a pick to pry on something and *snap* *ping* the tiny end of the pick broke off and went flying. Thinking little of it except he needs to get his Snap-On (snap-off?)  ;D pick replaced, he completes the work and buttons up the engine.

He hits the starter, engine runs for about two seconds and then it completely seizes up.   :-\

Post mortem: the pick end was found buried between the piston and the cylinder wall in the #4 cylinder.

Returning old Kawis to riding glory since 2014
1998 Concours "Connimus Prime"  CDA #555
1991 Voyager XII "Xaviera"
1989 454 LTD "Merlin"

Offline Harry Martin

• ☺ Cartoonist ☺
  • Industry Member
  • Crotch Rocket
  • Fear is not boring
    • Harry Martin Cartoons
  • COG#: 4090
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2019, 01:15:53 am »
I would have picked the bike up and flipped it over, shaking it wildly until it fell back out.

Harry in Wild and Windy Casper, WY - 2015 "Greendammit"
https://harrymartincartoons.com