Author Topic: Don't know how it was running!  (Read 1866 times)

Offline Big C

• Bicycle
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 11697
  • Membership Level: Active
Don't know how it was running!
« on: September 16, 2014, 01:42:14 am »
 Stripped down the old Connie this weekend to check everything over before my weekend ride at the end of the month. What I found was all the valves so tight I couldn't slide the tight side feeler in them, all the spark plugs were gapped anywhere from .021" to .050", and the#3 spark plug wire fell off in my hand! To top it all off I pulled my coolant reservoir to relocate it and found that the top side was cracked!
 Thanks to Stasch I should have a new reservoir in a few days. I adjusted the valves to spec, cleaned and gapped the plugs, cleaned the carbs again and turned the mixture screws out to 2 1/2 turns, Replaced # 3 plug wire and voila! I put in as much coolant as my busted tank would hold and took her around the block. What a BEAST! Can't wait to take this thing to the mountains!
 Oh yeah, I installed a 55 watt hi/lo HID kit tonight and boy is it bright. I'll post pics of the output when I'm off Wednesday. :)

Offline WillyP

• I Need a Life
  • Live Free Or Die
    • Suncook Carpentry
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 8799
Re: Don't know how it was running!
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2014, 11:27:55 am »
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.
pics

Offline goatmar

• Crotch Rocket
  • I do believe, help my unbelief.
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 7957
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2014, 04:57:04 pm »
You'll love the HID, you can definitely see the reflective stuff at night.  Makes the halogen look dim.
Dave Muzzey  St. Charles, IL  COG#7957  '01 Connie  100K miles and counting

Offline Big C

• Bicycle
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2014, 06:06:13 pm »
You'll love the HID, you can definitely see the reflective stuff at night.  Makes the halogen look dim.
The halogen looked dim even before I got the HID's.

Online Steve in Sunny Fla

• Industry Member
  • I Need a Life
  • COG#: 6977
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2014, 06:49:09 pm »
when someone brings me a bike for work, thinking it's just carbs, I tell them "look, I'm going to find stuff that's more than carbs. There will be more work, and cost, but this is what it's going to take to get it right" . The reality is that doing carb work when there are tight valves and ignition issues isn't going to yield all you hope for. What you've found on this is bike is what I would have expected you to find, and you're correct, it'll be a whole 'nuther bike once all the issues are ironed out.

ETA - I also did the HID conversion, and it truly is a huge step up, BUT the downside if the bulf fails you lose high and low together, renedering you blacked out. I added a set of cree running lights so that when the HID bulb fails, I have a backup, at least to get me safely off the road, where I can then retro in a stock style bulb.  steve
C-14 ECU flashing for performance and rideability enhancement
C-10 Carb work , cams, & performance enhancements
 " Modifications for sport-tourers, BY a sport-tourer"
https://sites.google.com/site/shoodabenengineering/home

Offline Big C

• Bicycle
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2014, 08:25:35 pm »
when someone brings me a bike for work, thinking it's just carbs, I tell them "look, I'm going to find stuff that's more than carbs. There will be more work, and cost, but this is what it's going to take to get it right" . The reality is that doing carb work when there are tight valves and ignition issues isn't going to yield all you hope for. What you've found on this is bike is what I would have expected you to find, and you're correct, it'll be a whole 'nuther bike once all the issues are ironed out.

ETA - I also did the HID conversion, and it truly is a huge step up, BUT the downside if the bulf fails you lose high and low together, renedering you blacked out. I added a set of cree running lights so that when the HID bulb fails, I have a backup, at least to get me safely off the road, where I can then retro in a stock style bulb.  steve

You are right Steve. When I first got the bike the PO stated that all the service had been done; carbs, valves, plugs, oil and filter. Became apparent very quickly that something wasn't right as it wouldn't idle below 4000 RPM. Tore into the carbs and found two bad diaphrams and all of the butterflies were sticking before fully closing. Cleaned everything up and put back together and was running so much better, but after a couple thousand miles I realized it still wasn't perfect. I had a bad off idle studder up until 2500 RPM and fell flat around 7000 RPM. Anyway, glad I talked myself into doing all the necessary maintenance, it seems like a new bike to me now. :)
 I am saving up for some nice driving lights and your seventh gear mod. >:D

Offline myrddin

• Tricycle
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2014, 11:15:35 pm »
Hi y'all,

My plan is to do this kind of stuff over the winter: check the valves, the spark plugs, wire and coils and so on. I might get bold, pull the carbs and have a peak at their innards. I might even give in and buy some stuff from SiSF ...

But it's the first time I see that thing about backing off the mixture screw 2.5 turns ? One of the things one does to the stock bike to make it better ? Mine runs a bit rough and is not doing the kind of gas mileage most people seem to be getting (40-42 MPG US) thus the once over the top end I'm planning on.

TIA

Luc

Offline Big C

• Bicycle
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2014, 12:32:53 am »
Hi y'all,

My plan is to do this kind of stuff over the winter: check the valves, the spark plugs, wire and coils and so on. I might get bold, pull the carbs and have a peak at their innards. I might even give in and buy some stuff from SiSF ...

But it's the first time I see that thing about backing off the mixture screw 2.5 turns ? One of the things one does to the stock bike to make it better ? Mine runs a bit rough and is not doing the kind of gas mileage most people seem to be getting (40-42 MPG US) thus the once over the top end I'm planning on.

TIA

All my carbureted bikes get the fuel mixture fiddled with as the factory sets these bikes mighty lean to pass emissions. My connie was set at one turn out from the factory. I usually start at two and go from there, will smooth out any off idle hesitation.
 Are you having trouble at idle , partial throttle, or high RPM's?

Luc

Offline zg2002-Murph2

• Road Bike
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 11696
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2014, 12:56:21 am »
myriddin,

if you haven't done a valve adjustment put it in the first step of your maintenance, then you know what you have there it is a straight forward either they are adjusted evenly or it will cause you issues with performance

if doing carbs with valves too tight you won't get the actual result of work if things are too tight, plus if you want to do more than bench setup of things in carbs then you need the valves well adjusted to get the adjustment to running carbs done correctly

huge difference when these bikes are even close to dialed in to the correct valve and carb settings, shocking amount of power for a bike this heavy even before my big but climbs on

I personally carefully bench adjusted my carbs after valves and it ran so well I wouldn't even dream of starting to adjust them trying to sync any better. I don't think I could possibly do more than screw up a great running bike, oh yea great fuel mileage as well. With mostly in town commuting at low speed and not fully filling the tank I am in the 200 range to reserve.

check the price of getting new spark plug caps and some wire to rebuild your entire set, if they are not reasonable new I think it is worth every penny to ensure you have as good a spark as you can get with the cost of fuel these days
Farkles and this forum are an addiction...Just ask my wife

Online Steve in Sunny Fla

• Industry Member
  • I Need a Life
  • COG#: 6977
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2014, 03:03:51 am »
big C, 2.5 turns is to much, back them down to 2 turns, any more and you're just wasting fuel.

as far as issues involving fuel economy, there are plenty, but when looking at the carbs fuel levels are hugely inporrtant, and very few folks actually take the time to control and equalize the fuel levels. Remember there are 4 carbs, and the base point for good carburetion comes from being able to meter the fuel equally across all 4 carbs. steve
C-14 ECU flashing for performance and rideability enhancement
C-10 Carb work , cams, & performance enhancements
 " Modifications for sport-tourers, BY a sport-tourer"
https://sites.google.com/site/shoodabenengineering/home

Offline Big C

• Bicycle
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2014, 12:55:07 am »
big C, 2.5 turns is to much, back them down to 2 turns, any more and you're just wasting fuel.

as far as issues involving fuel economy, there are plenty, but when looking at the carbs fuel levels are hugely inporrtant, and very few folks actually take the time to control and equalize the fuel levels. Remember there are 4 carbs, and the base point for good carburetion comes from being able to meter the fuel equally across all 4 carbs. steve

I started at 1 1/2 and stepped up to two and still was not happy with the way it idled and ran, moved to 2 1/2 and idle is dead steady and absolutely no stumble when given the gas.
 Fuel level in all four carbs is in spec and even, I also checked the synchronization and all was good. :great:

Offline zg2002-Murph2

• Road Bike
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 11696
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2014, 01:16:27 am »
I am with Steve on what work well for me, 2 turns out was perfect. Well maybe I was just barely under. I can tell you I spent more time that I thought I would adjusting and testing the float levels to be sure I had them spot on. Then I spent probably 30 minutes on bench sync using a piece of thick fishing line, they were right on the money. Haven't regretted taking my time on the carbs.
Farkles and this forum are an addiction...Just ask my wife

Offline myrddin

• Tricycle
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2014, 02:41:01 am »
Thanks to all for the tips.

Of course valves are the first thing then spark plugs, including "reading" them, and ignition. Then y'all did give me tips about stuff to check about the carbs.

Beside the higher than I think it should be fuel consumption, it's mostly idle that sorta' unstable maybe like some cylinder are "stronger" than others. A bit of that also under load at speed. I like Steve's image about carbs not metering equally. It's been my impression from the start that all cylinders are not "pushing" evenly which is likely to show in the efficiency of the whole thing. I was thinking carb synch but the cure might be elsewhere.

Please don't fret, I won't dig into all this stuff before the bike gets stored for the cold season sometime around halloween. Plenty of time to write and read 'til then ...

Luc