Author Topic: dreaded click, but starter won't spin  (Read 1745 times)

Offline SteveJ.

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 5603
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: dreaded click, but starter won't spin
« Reply #50 on: May 26, 2019, 10:15:06 am »
Feels like I need to have my handyman card revoked. I've never been good at electrical system troubleshooting. New solenoid part will be here on Wednesday. Hope it solves the problem.

Thanks to MOB, I found the wire connector on the clutch. With my newly acquired resistance testing skills, I determined the clutch switch is working properly.

I still don't know where the neutral safety switch is, but I hear a click if the starter button is pushed when the neutral light is on, but nothing when the light is off (in gear) unless I pull the clutch lever.

So, all the safety switches appear to be operational. The kickstand switch pin was sticking, but it's cleaned up and working fine now. The rubber boot was ripped which let moisture in, so I tried to seal it back up with black RTV.

Sounds like everything is working, except the solenoid.
Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SiSF)
Tick Tock, baby (Ironbuttal)
Steve J  Tavares, FL, one of the Floriduh Steves
'15 Versys650LT, '98 KLR650, (back home), '99 C-10, 234k miles sold

Offline batboy

• Road Bike
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 12983
« Reply #51 on: May 26, 2019, 03:20:13 pm »
Sheesh, I'm an idiot. Remember I was cleaning the starter button and voltage improved, then suddenly I got low voltage again. For a while I had unplugged the Y/R wire connector from the solenoid. It was unplugged when I got improvement cleaning the switch.

I apparently plugged it back in for some unknown reason and that's when I saw the low voltage again. So, there were actually two things wrong, the starter button needed cleaned and the solenoid was toast. Sometimes it's hard to comprehend multiple issues.

I just now retested the starter button. I get 12v output with the Y/R wire connector unplugged from the solenoid and 10.5v with it plugged into the solenoid. I'm now convinced it'll start once I install a new solenoid.
1988 Kawasaki Concours ZG1000 - Ninja Edition
Bike has the usual accessories and modifications

Offline m in sc

• Road Bike
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #52 on: May 26, 2019, 05:03:36 pm »
Sheesh, I'm an idiot. Remember I was cleaning the starter button and voltage improved, then suddenly I got low voltage again. For a while I had unplugged the Y/R wire connector from the solenoid. It was unplugged when I got improvement cleaning the switch.

I apparently plugged it back in for some unknown reason and that's when I saw the low voltage again. So, there were actually two things wrong, the starter button needed cleaned and the solenoid was toast. Sometimes it's hard to comprehend multiple issues.

I just now retested the starter button. I get 12v output with the Y/R wire connector unplugged from the solenoid and 10.5v with it plugged into the solenoid. I'm now convinced it'll start once I install a new solenoid.

there ya go, glad you got it narrowed down.  :great:

Offline SteveJ.

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5603
« Reply #53 on: May 26, 2019, 06:38:34 pm »

Thanks to MOB, I found the wire connector on the clutch. With my newly acquired resistance testing skills, I determined the clutch switch is working properly.

A little something for future reference, an ohm meter may show no resistance but when you put full power to the device you can still have a resistance issue, i.e. a voltage drop. An example would be one strand of good wire left in a stranded  wire that is breaking apart. You would have very little, virtually 0, resistance showing on the meter due to the really small current going through but putting  an amp or two through the wire will create resistance(voltage drop) and heat. Fuses can have this issue on occasion.
Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SiSF)
Tick Tock, baby (Ironbuttal)
Steve J  Tavares, FL, one of the Floriduh Steves
'15 Versys650LT, '98 KLR650, (back home), '99 C-10, 234k miles sold

Offline connie_rider

• "OtP" {retired/assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 4154
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #54 on: May 26, 2019, 08:35:36 pm »
I just did that as per SteveJ's suggestion. It appears the solenoid is not working. It clicks, but that's it.

EDIT: I see  that SteveJ said the same thing earlier too, but I overlooked it. Too soon to say if that solves the entire problem, but it sure seems like having a working solenoid during troubleshooting is a good thing.

P.S. Where to get a solenoid. I can order one from Amazon (it'll take a couple of days), or does O'Reilly or Autozone have this part where I can get it locally today)?

Apparently you missed my {#31 and #35}, and JPD, and M in SC earlier posts too??
     <evil grin>

Ted
« Last Edit: May 27, 2019, 02:11:50 pm by connie_rider »
14 Connie (Traveler II) / 03 Connie (Buddy)
Gone but not forgotten; 87 and 00 Connies..

If your not already a COGger, "consider becoming one".
Help us make "OtP" possible again!!

Offline batboy

• Road Bike
« Reply #55 on: May 31, 2019, 05:56:58 pm »
I'm happy to report the starter cranks the engine over when I press the starter button now. Indeed it was two problems which threw me into a panic. The starter button needed cleaned and the solenoid had gone belly up. It's working better than ever. The starter spins the engine way faster than before.

Thanks for the help. I had this thread printed out and was referring back to it. I would have eventually got back to post #35 and others. I'm just thankful "we" got it figured out. Like Red Green says, we're all in this together.

But, now the bad news. It cranked over and over and over. Not even one little cough. I had  even thumbed the choke almost full on and realized maybe it wasn't getting fuel (since I hadn't flooded it like I usually do). Gas gauge shows bingo fuel (below  empty). I pop the lid open and saw that the tank was dry. So, apparently my fuel leaked out while it was parked. Where should I look first? Petcock? Stuck carb float? I had the spark plugs out and there was no fuel hydrolock. Oil level is normal (within the marks, maybe a littler lower than center). I have to run into town to get more gasoline. I guess that I'll add a little gas to the tank and see what happens.

UPDATE: I put a couple gallons of gas into the tank and it started up. It ran a little rough at first when I had it choked, but the exhaust smoke cleared up and by the time it was up to operating temp, it was running smooth. I blipped the throttle a few times. But, the throttle stuck at 2,200 rpm. I had that starter switch apart so many times and the clam shell also has the throttle cable, so something is hanging up or needs lubed. Minor details, I can handle that, no problem. I don't see any gasoline drips... yet.

UPDATE part 2: I got the throttle cable freed up and lubed. The bike starts right up now and runs great. Tomorrow morning I'll shuffle a couple cars around so I can get the bike out for a test ride..
« Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 11:53:04 pm by batboy »

Offline Bud

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 12907
« Reply #56 on: June 01, 2019, 08:38:43 am »
Good for you!! :motonoises: :motonoises:
2005 Kawasaki Concours
2001 Kawasaki Concours
1982 Suzuki GS1100GK
1983 Honda GL650I SilverWing

Offline m in sc

• Road Bike
« Reply #57 on: June 01, 2019, 11:58:42 am »
 :beerchug: :great: VICTORY

Offline WillyP

• I Need a Life
  • Live Free Or Die
    • Suncook Carpentry
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 8799
« Reply #58 on: June 01, 2019, 03:16:59 pm »
I would definitely be concerned about the missing fuel... If it didn't drip on the floor or ground, it's in the motor! How much gas did you have and how long was it parked?

Hydrolock requires two failures, the petcock and at least one float valve leaking fuel into the carbs. Check for both. You could very likely not see any dripping, as it's an internal leakage, unless you have overflow tube installed.
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.
pics

Offline batboy

• Road Bike
« Reply #59 on: June 01, 2019, 03:50:17 pm »
I know the engine was not hydrolocked, because before it was turned over I pulled the spark plugs out. There was no fuel in the cylinders. Crankcase had the normal amount of oil and it looks okay. I did not check the floor of the shed every day. In fact, I was out of state for over a month this spring. I'm watching it close now.

The problem I currently have is the throttle cable keeps binding up between 2k and 3k rpm and when it does, it won't go back to idle. I'm getting ready to pull the right handlebar clam shell off again. Maybe the cable has slipped out of the guide? I probably better do a forum search to see how this is supposed to all go back together.

Except for the throttle cable issue, it's doing great. I had it out on the highway for a few miles this morning. Once I get this throttle fixed, I'll take out for a long cruise.

UPDATE: It took disassembling the throttle cable and return cable mechanism a few times, but I finally got it fixed. I went on a fun 30 mile ride this afternoon. I took this photo of my bike at a small Kansas roadside park. I think the bike looks pretty good for being 31 years old.

« Last Edit: June 02, 2019, 02:39:59 am by batboy »

Offline m in sc

• Road Bike
« Reply #60 on: June 02, 2019, 03:05:03 am »
nice.

where in KS are you? your bike looks like my old friend Larry Britons old bike, he was in Mahnattan, (i lived there a few years myself).

Offline batboy

• Road Bike
« Reply #61 on: June 02, 2019, 04:12:35 am »
I'm in the middle of nowhere, about an hour south of Manhattan.

It's probably not the bike you're thinking of, this one's from Colorado.

Offline m in sc

• Road Bike
« Reply #62 on: June 02, 2019, 09:55:51 pm »
probably not. gotcha, i used to ride a lot out there, and back and forth to coffeyville quite a bit as well. yeah, probably not the same bike.  :motonoises: :great: