Author Topic: dropped keys  (Read 587 times)

Offline Warwgn

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
dropped keys
« on: August 22, 2017, 11:56:08 pm »
Just had a fun event, parked the bike and took the keys out and dropped them and the disappeared  down into the fairing. I could not se them or feel them, of course the tools are locked in the top case and the key for that is in the fairing.....

Called the Girlfriend and she brought me a screw driver and just removed the left pocket fairing and was able to reach down and grab them. Am I the only one who has ever done this?

Offline ron203

• Officer
  • Iron Butt
  • COG#: 9847
  • Membership Level: Area Director
Re: dropped keys
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2017, 12:16:32 am »
Nope!

I was filling up at QT on a cold day, on the way home. Took off my gloves, filled the tank, tried to re-insert the key in the ignition with cold hands...OOPs!!! right down in front of the tank! Called my wife (who was 3-4 miles away, THIS time) and she brought me the spare keys that forever more until it was sold, stayed in my OTHER pocket. BTDT. 

Took the fairing off and there it was.
2014 C-14

Offline Outback Jon

• Sport Tourer
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 9506
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2017, 12:24:21 am »
Yep, I've done it.  Now I have a key hidden on the bike, so I can get to my tools.

Got lucky two times.  (Yeah, I've dropped them into the fairing more times than I can remember.)  Once, they managed to fall out the bottom when I went to put the bike on the centerstand to start taking stuff apart.  The other time, they fell and a key or the keychain was hanging out one of the vents. 
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157 
2011 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited - "Outback's Outback"
1998 Subaru Forester L 2.5 - "Subarugdu"

Offline dboogie2288

• Road Bike
    • BeginnerBikers.org
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 11628
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2017, 01:49:31 am »
Been there, done that too. haha. I found a small lanyard (its like 6 inches long) and it works great to feel around where keys might have fallen.
Current Bikes:
2006 Kawasaki Concours///COG#:11628
2006 Honda Goldwing 1800///GWRRA#:398646

Offline Stasch

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 6830
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2017, 02:06:13 am »
Happened to one of the guys on our trip to see the eclipse - key drop down into the left mid fairing.

use a tether for the key - its rare but some keys have worked their way out of the ignition while going down the road.  Rwulf had this happen and has tethered his key ever since.

I do this on the dual sports and started doing it during this trip on my C10 after the key drop incident and since Rwulf is always saying I should.  Now I am finally a believer. 

Could save you from a delay on a long trip.

Stan Visser - COG#: 6830 - - C10 Stuff For Sale - Parts List

He IS a racer, hence the forward lean!!  by: Mettler1

Offline Harry Martin

• ☺ Cartoonist ☺
  • Street Cruiser
  • Fear is not boring
    • Harry Martin Cartoons
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 4090
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2017, 02:39:30 am »
The C10 is famous for eating nuts, bolts, tools and anything not attached to some sort of lanyard.  :(
Harry in Wild and Windy Casper, WY - 1986 Vintage "Silverdammit" - 2015 "Greendammit"

Offline Mettler1

• Iron Butt
  • You want answers? We got answers!!
  • COG#: 1431
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2017, 02:40:57 am »
  I have a spare key on a snap ring somewhere on the frame  that I can get to it easily!! ;)
'94 Concours 115,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,SiSF'sTorque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators, SiSF carb Spa, Delkevic exhaust, Murphs' knee savers +grips, etc

Offline Mcfly

• --2006 Concours--
  • Iron Butt
  • Cruise Control
  • COG#: 9921
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2017, 10:17:32 am »
  I have a spare key on a snap ring somewhere on the frame  that I can get to it easily!! ;)

I keep a spare key in my riding jacket  That extra piece of mind is comforting.
Performance -- Rear: C14 Shock - Front: Sonic 1.1 w/emulators - SISF Jet Mod & Ex Cam Sprocket - Tokico front brakes
Comfort -- Russell Day Long - Madstad - Cruise Control

Offline ron203

• Officer
  • Iron Butt
  • COG#: 9847
  • Membership Level: Area Director
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2017, 10:43:39 am »
After doing this on the C-10, I was paranoid about losing the key to C-14 so I had some extras made and attached a retractable key chain lanyard inside my jacket pocket on both jackets. Pull it out, do what I need to do, let it retract. Original key stays safely in the fob(s). Paranoia is healthy if it gives peace of mind.  ;D
« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 10:14:51 pm by ron203 »
2014 C-14

Offline worncog

• Crotch Rocket
  • aka 'handyman'
  • COG#: 9584
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2017, 10:56:39 am »
I have done it too. Fished them out fairly easily, as I keep all my motorcycle keys on lanyards. Makes them a lot easier to find if they go astray in a tent or dropped.

I do keep a spare set in my jacket like Marty. Great minds think alike! Or is that demented minds think alike??
Somewhere far away. Soon
Overland Expo, BVF, ...another BDR?

'14 S10, '06 C10, '02 TTR250, '74 R75/6 Hack, '72 XS650

Offline Bud

• Road Bike
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2017, 11:21:36 am »
I'm embarrassed to tell this but here goes.  Very shortly after I bought my GS1100GK in 91, I stopped at a convenience store to gas up.  Somehow I just lost my key to the bike.  To this day, I have no idea where my keys went.  I never found them and took a screwdriver to the ignition to get it started to make it home.  To make matters worse I had a couple of video tapes that I had rented, locked up in the saddlebag.  I contacted the guy I bought the bike from and he found another key he had for the bike and mailed it to me.  If I knew what I know today, I would have pulled the connector to the ignition switch and jumped across to connectors to power up the bike and get home. :-[ :-[ :-[  Waiting for someone to post a story to top that one.  Sometimes I'm just the king of dumbass! >:(

Offline VTconnie

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 11081
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2017, 08:24:41 pm »
Happened to one of the guys on our trip to see the eclipse - key drop down into the left mid fairing.

use a tether for the key - its rare but some keys have worked their way out of the ignition while going down the road.  Rwulf had this happen and has tethered his key ever since.

I do this on the dual sports and started doing it during this trip on my C10 after the key drop incident and since Rwulf is always saying I should.  Now I am finally a believer. 

Could save you from a delay on a long trip.

Yup, my first C10 had a worn out ignition, and after several hours on the I-5 heading north in Cali, a pitstop revealed no keys. The bike was running, and the ignition in the 'On' position. Fortunately, I had made 3 copies the day before, and inserted another key. Even though my 03's ignition is not so worn out, I still have a landyard around the handlebars, learned my lesson.
<--2003 Concours C-10 "Conifer", -AKA- The Cruise Missile
1980 CB900C DOHC "Old Iron" -AKA- The Hill Climber                

Offline goatmar

• Crotch Rocket
  • I do believe, help my unbelief.
  • COG#: 7957
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2017, 08:59:29 pm »
Yeap had it happen to me also.   My keys have one of those long red ribbons that say "remove before flight" luckily I was able to see that and pulled them out.  :-[
Dave Muzzey  St. Charles, IL  COG#7957  '01 Connie  100K miles and counting

Offline RWulf

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 7122
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2017, 06:49:30 pm »
Go to a National, save the lanyard, put your key on it.
Now ride with the feeling you have done something for
your self. It also make it easier to get them out of your
pocket.
Rwulf has spoken.