Author Topic: Early flat seats.  (Read 3294 times)

Offline Jim in Ohio

• Tricycle
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Early flat seats.
« on: September 17, 2012, 12:34:51 pm »
 Hello All, I enquired here awhile ago about the differeence between the old style flat seats and the new one like my '03 came with. Momma hated the newer style seat as she was always sliding forward and I felt a jammed into the tank. :o. I was able to strike a deal with a member here for a nearly new old-type seat and yesterday Momma and I took Her out for about 1-1/2 hours. Momma is much Happier now as am I. the foam is much firmer and no sliding into Me. Happy in Ohio.

Offline perryg114

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
Re: Early flat seats.
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2012, 12:45:52 pm »
I have never figured out the mentality behind the seats where the passenger rides higher than the driver. This puts the passeger's head in the turbulance and also raises the center of gravity of the bike. I think they are also uncomfortable.

Perry

Offline augie

• Tricycle
  • live long and prosper
  • COG#: 10439
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2012, 12:53:46 pm »
hey jim in ohio this is jeff in ohio. my wife is very unhappy riding on the back of my 06. I spent 2 hundred bucks on a stock kawi backrest and the bracket it bolts to. if she uses the backrest there is too much space between us and she slides forward. my old bike had a 18" backrest and two piece mustang seat and we were packed in there tight. I was looking at the corbin canyon seat with passenger backrest but was hoping someone here has used that seat and how well did it work or other seat suggestions. I like the step seat for myself and think a flat seat might still be a little long to make the wife happy. thanks.
I finally have the bagger of my dreams
2006 concours. 8-30-12.

Offline Bob_C_CT

• Sport Tourer
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 9544
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2012, 01:55:00 pm »
Augie,
I have the same setup and problem with passenger not able to reach the backrest and sliding into me.
I have about 1/2" space behind me to the step also that doesn't help.
I've been thinking of adding a bracket to bring the backrest forward and maybe reworking step by adding foam to the move the step more forward, not sure if the cover will just squish the foam or if there is enough material to move the cover forward a 1/2 inch. Flat seat might fix this problem.
I'll let you know what I end up with for a bracket on the backrest.
97 C10,ZRX Front, Meanstreak rim

Offline augie

• Tricycle
  • live long and prosper
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2012, 02:02:46 pm »
thanks. moving it forward would help but she also complained that backrest pad wasn't high enough. I thought about a trunk with a built in pad but I think that would still be too far back. let me know if you design something that works.
2006 concours. 8-30-12.

Offline F-106

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2012, 04:15:43 pm »
Find a good seat builder in your area and have him raise the front part of the rear seat till it is flat. This will keep her from sliding into you. the stock 06 seat is fine but does have it issues for the passenger. My seat is the stock seat reworked and covered. No more issues.
hey jim in ohio this is jeff in ohio. my wife is very unhappy riding on the back of my 06. I spent 2 hundred bucks on a stock kawi backrest and the bracket it bolts to. if she uses the backrest there is too much space between us and she slides forward. my old bike had a 18" backrest and two piece mustang seat and we were packed in there tight. I was looking at the corbin canyon seat with passenger backrest but was hoping someone here has used that seat and how well did it work or other seat suggestions. I like the step seat for myself and think a flat seat might still be a little long to make the wife happy. thanks.

Offline BJ_CT

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 9058
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2012, 04:25:28 pm »
It's called the catapult seat for a reason.  My SO doesn't ride anymore because the bike's too difficult for her to mount and it's not all that comfortable.  She even tried pillion on a Goldwing without success.  The reason, believe, for the way the current day seats are positioned has to do frame design and things like that.  I don't believe it's just because young boys like to have young girls laying all over them while they're riding.  That said, I'd really take advantage of it if I was young(er).  That and the bikes are really designed for much smaller people than we older Americans have turned out to be.
 :))

There are flat seated bikes available, just not of the sport touring or touring variety.

Offline augie

• Tricycle
  • live long and prosper
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2012, 08:37:18 pm »
as always f-106 your seat makes me drool. if I can find the money I might just send it to the guy that did yours. and buy a topcase like yours and paint my bags like yours. I will leave my kawi badges on my tank so they won't look exactly alike. still would like to hear if anybody has the corbin canyon and if it is worth the money.
2006 concours. 8-30-12.

Offline Tbone

• Tbone
  • Tricycle
  • Tbone
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 11034
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2012, 10:54:04 pm »
+1 on your seat f-106. I need to have my seat firmed up some;otherwise I like it.I really like the looks of yours plus I imagine its more firm than stock. Tony :beerchug:
Tbonetone

Offline RichDesmond

• Tricycle
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 7915
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2012, 01:20:09 am »
It's expensive, but a Russell solves all the problems.

Offline CRocker

• Sport Tourer
  • '02 C10 CDA # 416
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2012, 02:09:44 am »
as always f-106 your seat makes me drool. if I can find the money I might just send it to the guy that did yours. and buy a topcase like yours and paint my bags like yours. I will leave my kawi badges on my tank so they won't look exactly alike. still would like to hear if anybody has the corbin canyon and if it is worth the money.

Not sure what Corbin this is...has "KCR" on the bottom of the seat pan...I have this and the stock flat seat for my first gen '88...I like the flat seat more...mainly because of the additional legroom...wifey likes the Corbin more..."it's more cushy"...I am probably going to bite the bullet, and sell both of these to fund a custom seat like F106 has...or, something similar...

Not sure if this helps any... :-\

Offline F-106

• Road Bike
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2012, 03:25:43 am »
THANKS TONY FOR YOUR KIND WORDS. Rocky does all my work and will do all my work till I die. I think I have him talked into doing my casket. here is a link. call him he is a great guy. ........BILL
http://www.rockybags.com/index.html
+1 on your seat f-106. I need to have my seat firmed up some;otherwise I like it.I really like the looks of yours plus I imagine its more firm than stock. Tony :beerchug:

Offline JPavlis_CA

• San Jose CA
  • Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 2293
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2012, 03:36:32 am »
Not sure what Corbin this is...has "KCR" on the bottom of the seat pan...

That's a custom Corbin based on the OEM shape. Whoever had it made didn't have many changes made to the stocker. KCR is the initials of the guy who crafted the saddle.
All God's male children tend to be low-life, sleaze-ball, early apexers - Terry Earwood, Chief Instructor, Skip Barber Racing School.

Offline augie

• Tricycle
  • live long and prosper
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2012, 04:00:10 am »
http://www.corbin.com/kawasaki/8694concours.shtml
this is the canyon, you can get custom touches-colored welts. so on
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 04:02:09 am by augie »
2006 concours. 8-30-12.

Offline CRocker

• Sport Tourer
  • '02 C10 CDA # 416
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2012, 04:29:44 am »
Not sure what Corbin this is...has "KCR" on the bottom of the seat pan...

That's a custom Corbin based on the OEM shape. Whoever had it made didn't have many changes made to the stocker. KCR is the initials of the guy who crafted the saddle.

Don't think that's it...iirc, the person who made the seat signed a little sticker on the bottom of the seat pan...or, maybe had their own personalized stickers..."KC" is how they identify the Canyon Dual Sport seat for the C10...haven't figured out yet what the "R" is...but, these are the only designators on the seat pan as to what model the seat is...I'm thinking it is more for inventory and identification purposes...
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 04:34:18 am by CRocker »

Offline JPavlis_CA

• San Jose CA
  • Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 2293
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2012, 04:49:24 am »
Now that I see your pic, Brad, I do believe you're right, Brad. I should probably look at mine. It probably is a pan identifier based on what is to be built on it because the hardware mounting points are different - Gunfighter and Lady, Convertible, G&F with backrest.....

Looking again, that looks like a a reshape of the G&F to make it longer, and a bit wider. But whoever rode it, sat lopsided. Must have been a Harley rider.   :rotflmao:
All God's male children tend to be low-life, sleaze-ball, early apexers - Terry Earwood, Chief Instructor, Skip Barber Racing School.

Offline augie

• Tricycle
  • live long and prosper
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2012, 11:19:57 am »
crocker- does your corbin help you sit back a little instead of the forward lean of the stock seat. that is what the canyon dual sport in my earlier link is supposed to do. and the option for the passenger backrest looks like a lot better support for the wife than a stock kawi backrest. do the FARKLES ever end.
2006 concours. 8-30-12.

Offline Mettler1

• Iron Butt
  • You want answers? We got answers!!
  • COG#: 1431
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2012, 01:40:53 pm »
. do the FARKLES ever end.

NO!!!!!!!!! :) :)
'94 Concours 115,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,SiSF'sTorque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators, SiSF carb Spa, Delkevic exhaust, Murphs' knee savers +grips, etc

Offline CRocker

• Sport Tourer
  • '02 C10 CDA # 416
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2012, 12:10:03 am »
crocker- does your corbin help you sit back a little instead of the forward lean of the stock seat. that is what the canyon dual sport in my earlier link is supposed to do. and the option for the passenger backrest looks like a lot better support for the wife than a stock kawi backrest. do the FARKLES ever end.

I would say yes it does help me sit back a little...although, I went for a 330 mile ride in the mountains today...and, since I was one-up...I used the flat seat...and didn't notice any forward lean...I do, however, have bar risers on my bike...

HTH...

Offline wile_e_coyote

• Scooter
  • COG#: 10316
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2012, 05:24:14 pm »
Here is my Corbin seat that I bought through the emporium from a fellow COG-er.
This seat has a textured pattern where you sit and helps with the sliding.
I had another corbin on that was smooth and almost flat and my wife and I were always sliding forward.
Now we only slide during really hard braking but a lot of that may still be the front diving. I am planning on modifying the fork springs to help with that.
Also this seat sits a little lower so i am pretty well flat footed.
My wife didn't like the backrest, said it was to low so I made a piece of flat steel and raised the pad about 12" and now she loves it.

Another Angle.

Offline connie_rider

• "OtP" {retired/assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • COG#: 4154
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2012, 06:03:41 pm »
THANKS TONY FOR YOUR KIND WORDS. Rocky does all my work and will do all my work till I die. I think I have him talked into doing my casket. here is a link. call him he is a great guy. ........BILL

I have 2 Corbins. An old one that I love. Leather covered, with a larger passenger/smaller Rider area's.
Unfortunately (after life on 3 Connies), It has developed a small tear at the front edge.
I talked to Corbin about recovering the old one, but they want almost as much for a recover as new...

So I bought a almost new one from a fellow COGger.
It is too hard for me, and has a different seating position than my old.
Great in the twisties, but for a long time in the saddle,,, rough on the hiney.   

I may send a stock seat or the Old Corbin to them and see what they say. F-106's seat looks great!!
Problem is,, shipping costs etc may make it better to buy new. arghhhhh....

Anybody know of a seat guy near Houston?

Ride safe, Ted

« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 01:10:51 pm by connie_rider »
14 Connie (Traveler II) / 03 Connie (Buddy)
Gone but not forgotten; 87 and 00 Connies..

If your not already a COGger, "consider becoming one".
Help us make "OtP" possible again!!

Offline F-106

• Road Bike
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2012, 06:50:59 pm »
Ted, call Rocky the man that did my seat.Send your seat or seats to him. You will not be dissapointed cheaper than Corbin by far. On my 04 saber I had it came with a Corbin and I did not like the cover. Rock was jammed with work that year and could not get to it for 4 months. I took it to corbin and they wanted 450-500 fo a recover. Ended up sitting it out and Rock got to it and it was only 275. Rocky is a former C-10 owner. Here is a link to his site.

I have 2 Corbins. An old one that I love. Leather covered, with a larger passenger/smaller Rider area's.
Unfortunately, It has developed a small tear at the front edge.
I talked to Corbin about recovering the old one, but they want almost as much for a recover as new...

So I bought a almost new one from a fellow COGger.
It is too hard for me, and has a different seating position than my old.
Great in the twisties, but for a long time in the saddle,,, rough on the hiney.   

I may send a stock seat or the Old Corbin to them and see what they say. F-106's seat looks great!!
Problem is,, shipping costs etc may make it better to buy new. arghhhhh....

Anybody know of a seat guy near Houston?

Ride safe, Ted

Offline augie

• Tricycle
  • live long and prosper
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2012, 10:48:31 pm »
wile_e _coyote. very nice mod on the backrest. I like the texture on the seat too. good idea. that looks like what I want some day.
2006 concours. 8-30-12.

Offline connie_rider

• "OtP" {retired/assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • COG#: 4154
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2012, 01:29:49 pm »
Note sent to Rocky. Thanks!

Ted

PS: If/when I repair my Old Corbin, I'll sell the newer Corbin to anyone that is interested.
14 Connie (Traveler II) / 03 Connie (Buddy)
Gone but not forgotten; 87 and 00 Connies..

If your not already a COGger, "consider becoming one".
Help us make "OtP" possible again!!

Offline cra-z1000

• Crotch Rocket
  • Keeping it upright..
  • COG#: 9790
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2012, 03:36:49 pm »
Most ladies I've met like the higher position so they are able to enjoy the views .......and if they happen to be well endowed , it helps with helmet buffeting ....:-)
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 09:17:21 pm by cra-z1000 »
1987 C 10
80 Kawasaki KZ 1000 MK 2
74 Honda 750 four ss
73 Suzuki 550 triple
72 Honda 550 four