Author Topic: Rear Tire Wear and Suspension Settings  (Read 156 times)

Offline brendanclarke

• Tricycle
  • 2004 ZG1000 || 1998 GPZ500S
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Rear Tire Wear and Suspension Settings
« on: May 13, 2020, 01:22:58 pm »
Tires are due to get changed shortly and taking a good hard look at the rear I noticed little raised 'wings' on the back edge of the sipes (pictured). I've read that this can occur because of something with the rebound damping on the shock, but I'm not clear on what or how or where there might be a good reference on this.

Most of the riding has been on 25psi damper 3, but I recently have been playing with it more and have it on 35psi damper 1, and that *seems* to feel better. I'm not a heavy dude 165-170 and probably towing an extra 25 of assorted junk. I assume the rear is also pretty clapped out and I have some bel-rey RSF on the way to service it while I contemplate a ZZR rear and cartridge emulators.

Suspension also feels noticeably better and "springier" in the cold if it hasn't been ridden in a while (like a week). Possibly cruddy oil settling? Thoughts? '04 39kmi

Been totally happy with the tires though. Avon Storm 3dxm front and rear (spec sizes), they just clicked over 12kmi. Replacing with same.

Thanks for any pointers!

Offline Boomer

• Crotch Rocket
  • Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: Rear Tire Wear and Suspension Settings
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2020, 01:32:21 pm »
If yer getting 12k miles out of a rear you are doing better than most of us so keep on doing it.
My 3D-XM rears rarely get over 8k miles until they are well into the wear bars.

For the shock it sounds like the oil has had it.
When cold it will be thicker so will damp better.
New oil will help but it's not a great shock to start with.
I fitted a ZZR1200 shock to mine years ago and never regretted it.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK
CDA-007