Author Topic: Engine mount bolt  (Read 399 times)

Offline esmoojee

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Engine mount bolt
« on: August 09, 2018, 05:23:12 pm »
I have a question. I was looking at the rear engine mount bolt (the upper one) and I noticed that it doesn’t have a nut like the parts fiche. Am I missing something?  I tried to loosen it from the right but the bolt just turns and turns. Doesn’t seem to tighten or loosen. Heres a pic of the left side that looks like it’s missing the nut.  Is this correct?

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5977
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: Engine mount bolt
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2018, 07:03:24 pm »
OOOOOPSSSS.
wait, I jumped too fast,
so I xxx'd out my response... the orientation of the photo threw me off, it's rotated like 60* clockwise from horizontal..
that 'hole' in your photo is the hole for the bolt that holds the side plastic cover on...
my bad....

but do check the rear engine mount bolts...anyways...
it sits inboard and further forward than the photo can see, back in the 'dark hole', just below the other small bolt head in the picture (that bolt holds the airbox).

sorry.

NOPE..
long bolt snapped off, thus the missing nut...

hmmmmmm.....
might make a difference on your ride stability issues....
I figured you would have checked them prior to replacing the steering head bearings, as checking was a 2 minute job.

Thanks guys, I’ll check them when I go to replace the head bearings. I figure it can’t hurt. The bike has 50,000 miles so what the hell, why not. I’ll report back on my findings.

put a little pressure on the engine from below(scissor jack) to prevent any movement, and insure holes all allign, before using a steel pin to tap that broken bolt out...remove the triangular plastic cap from the right side first...
replace it and new nut, and torque the nut to 40 ft/lbs.

I hope this cures the original issue you experienced,
might check the bottom bolt also...

top bolt
92002-1722   BOLT,FLANGED,10X265
bottom bolt
92153-0445   BOLT,FLANGED,10X215

flange nuts
92210-1080   NUT,LOCK,FLANGED,10MM
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 08:06:07 pm by MAN OF BLUES »

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline esmoojee

• Training Wheels
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2018, 07:21:25 pm »
I tightened up the front and bottom bolt. I missed this one completely when I was going through everything. I’m hoping this is it, ordered a new one just gotta wait for it to arrive. This poor bike, I feel like the little dutch boy, plug one hole and another opens up.  >:(

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2018, 08:21:46 pm »
I tightened up the front and bottom bolt. I missed this one completely when I was going through everything. I’m hoping this is it, ordered a new one just gotta wait for it to arrive. This poor bike, I feel like the little dutch boy, plug one hole and another opens up.  >:(

did you look where I noted, to see if the bolt is broken, or nut is missing, before ordering stuff???

the only picture I have to show the bolt, is one from the farside, On another persons bike.
The top bolt is behind the triangular plastic cover, that sits just below the airbox bolt in the photo, remove that cover, the engine mount bolt is the 'forward' bolt hidden under that cover... follow it thru, to the farside, back up inside the recess I noted, and look for the nut... don't order stuff without looking first.
The bottom bolt can be seen in the same photo, below the point where the top one lives, just behind the brake pedal 'arm', it's visible...

check them.

Offline esmoojee

• Training Wheels
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2018, 04:57:23 am »
The bottom bolt and nut was intact. The one above it, behind the plastic cap is there. I tried to loosen it but it just spins. It doesn’t come out of the frame on the left side. There is no nut. 

Offline esmoojee

• Training Wheels
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2018, 06:55:02 pm »
So, yea found the nut back behind the hoses and wires. Tightened it up. Didn’t really make a difference.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2018, 08:42:28 pm »
So, yea found the nut back behind the hoses and wires. Tightened it up. Didn’t really make a difference.

:))

you made me go out and actually look at my old bike, and as I never removed that bolt I found how 'invisible' it is, hard one to see right off.
At least you tightened it up, and saved $15 for a replacement one. Good job.  :great: :great:

Offline esmoojee

• Training Wheels
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2018, 04:54:32 pm »
That thing is really hidden well. Yea, it worked out. Partzilla had it on backorder so I canceled it and got my money back.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2018, 08:08:50 pm »
 :great: