Author Topic: Engine temp gauge wrong  (Read 330 times)

Offline Derick

• Road Bike
    • BeginnerBikers.org
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Engine temp gauge wrong
« on: September 17, 2018, 03:17:09 pm »
Hi all. Been away awhile, crazy summer. Some good some bad, but here we are.

Ok, so my connie is running great lately, but I noticed something entirely wrong with my temp gauge. It's reading way cold. Now, again, the bike is operating perfectly. The fan comes on when I expect it to and there seems to be nothing wrong with the mechanics - just the gauge. Like someone pushed the needle to the left, when it was supposed to be in the center.

Attached is a pic and the fan had JUST turned on, and this was a 89 degree ambient day. Thoughts?

It's a 2k6, with 43k miles, I just replaced all my coolant hoses early this year, new coolant is engine ice, and the thermostat is new.
Current Bikes:
2006 Kawasaki Concours///COG#:11628
2006 Honda Goldwing 1800///GWRRA#:398646

Offline Pbfoot

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 10807
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: Engine temp gauge wrong
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2018, 03:24:12 pm »
Check your coolant level. It may be low and not contacting the pickup for the gauge.
If you don't have time to do it right, when do you have time to do it over.                                                                17" wheels, Nissin 4 piston calipers.1kg Sonic Springs.Cartridge Fork Emulators. KB Brace. Galfer brake lines  Free power mod.

Offline SteveJ.

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 5603
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2018, 08:36:44 pm »
Check for air in the thermostat housing using the bleed screw near it.

Another cause would be a poor connection where the temp sendor wire tab is riveted to the sendor. About every 50k miles I had this issue. I simply put a longish chisel against the attachment point and tapped lightly, emphasize lightly, with a smallish hammer. Easy does it. I had to do this several times in the 234k miles that I had the bike.

HTH.
Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SiSF)
Tick Tock, baby (Ironbuttal)
Steve J  Tavares, FL, one of the Floriduh Steves
'15 Versys650LT, '98 KLR650, (back home), '99 C-10, 234k miles sold

Offline Pbfoot

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2018, 09:00:18 pm »
Proper bleeding technique is critical. With bike on centerstand and cool open radiator cap. Open bleeder valve at water pump, allow any air to escape. Close. Open bleeder valve at thermostat housing, allow air to escape. Close. Squeeze upper radiator hose to burp the rest of the air out. Top off radiator and install cap.
If you don't have time to do it right, when do you have time to do it over.                                                                17" wheels, Nissin 4 piston calipers.1kg Sonic Springs.Cartridge Fork Emulators. KB Brace. Galfer brake lines  Free power mod.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline Bud

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2018, 09:50:12 pm »
Hi all. Been away awhile, crazy summer. Some good some bad, but here we are.

Ok, so my connie is running great lately, but I noticed something entirely wrong with my temp gauge. It's reading way cold. Now, again, the bike is operating perfectly. The fan comes on when I expect it to and there seems to be nothing wrong with the mechanics - just the gauge. Like someone pushed the needle to the left, when it was supposed to be in the center.

Attached is a pic and the fan had JUST turned on, and this was a 89 degree ambient day. Thoughts?

It's a 2k6, with 43k miles, I just replaced all my coolant hoses early this year, new coolant is engine ice, and the thermostat is new.
That's where mine sits most of the time.  I'm not complaining.

Offline Derick

• Road Bike
    • BeginnerBikers.org
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2018, 11:42:13 pm »
2 days ago:

http://forum.cog-online.org/concours-c10-zg1000-general-chat-and-tech/idling-coolant-temp-gauge-needle-position/msg648955/#msg648955

Welp that title explains why "temp gauge wrong" didnt yield me much in search results.  :))

I'll have to check that out. Seems odd that it had been fine for months.....but if thats the problem, then I'm glad its an easy one.
Current Bikes:

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2018, 12:15:22 am »
2 days ago:

http://forum.cog-online.org/concours-c10-zg1000-general-chat-and-tech/idling-coolant-temp-gauge-needle-position/msg648955/#msg648955

Welp that title explains why "temp gauge wrong" didnt yield me much in search results.  :))

I'll have to check that out. Seems odd that it had been fine for months.....but if thats the problem, then I'm glad its an easy one.

no promises, but from your post, it made sense to me...
..... The fan comes on when I expect it to and there seems to be nothing wrong with the mechanics - .......

the fan switch is in the radiator, and comes on when temp is sensing "turn me on" for the fans...
the temp 'gauge' switch, is above the thermostat.. trapped air from a 'new' non-venting (small hole in thermo plate) thermostat, can cause that, or simply a loose wire, or the tab which is riveted on being loose, effects the function (it's a resistance thing, low resistance, better reading, high resistance or intermittant open/close circuit/connection due to vibration, low or no reading.)

anyway, it's a free thing to check...

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline Nosmo

• Crotch Rocket
  • "We're all in this together" -- Red Green
  • AREA: Northwest Area
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2018, 02:27:42 am »
Mine started acting weird a couple of years ago, and I found corroded wire connections at the back of the gauge. Cleaning and reattaching the wires fixed it.  Something else to check if all of the above doesn't cure it.
2003 Connie    2007 Wee-Strom   

"What could possibly go wrong...click....go wrong...click...go wrong...click...go wrong..."

Offline Jorge

• Officer
  • Sport Tourer
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 9297
  • Membership Level: Event Host
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2018, 09:56:25 pm »
Hi Derrick,
I had a similar issue.
I replaced the sender, checked all the wiring, the gauge, and everything looked fine, except reading was way low.
Finally, when it was at SIFSs getting some "upgrades", I asked him to look into it.
He found that the thermostat housing did not have a good ground.
Lots of possible causes, but the one he found is one I was unable to find - I suppose that says something about Stev'e diagnostics capabilities compared to mine ;)

Offline Derick

• Road Bike
    • BeginnerBikers.org
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2018, 10:24:04 pm »
Well in my case it was the sender unit signaling. I pulled off the wire, scrubbed it with a wire brush and then loosened and tightened it since some said grounding was a problem.

I also bled the system and topped off the coolant, but I had done that first with no change. The wire connection was definitely the sending connection.

Thanks for the info folks.
Current Bikes:

Offline Pbfoot

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2018, 02:18:01 am »
Thanks for the update. Glad you got it resolved.