Author Topic: Engine temperature issues  (Read 1051 times)

Offline Dave

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: Engine temperature issues
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2017, 06:36:51 pm »
 Once again, thanks for all the input about the temp gauge issue. Jim, the photo of your gauge at "Cold" is where mine lives about 99% of the time. It's snowing here today or I would get her out and warmed up for a pyrometer / temp check. Sounds like most likely an under performing sending unit. Will try SISF's suggestion about grounding, then try a resistor to get this unit working properly. Since the bike doesn't seem to really be running hot, I could also try some nice thick tape over the temp gauge. Was seriously considering getting a new FJR, but now I think I'll just see if I can wear her out instead. Thanks everyone !

Offline Jim

• Street Cruiser
  • Jim
  • AREA: South Central Area
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2017, 06:56:54 pm »
The sending unit is probably working just fine.  The gauge has the non-linearity problem.  When you momentarily short the wire on the sending unit to ground, the needle should go all the to the edge of the gauge.  Also, if you have a meter, measure the resistance from the nut on the sending unit to battery or frame ground (not the thermostat housing).  Should be < 1 ohm.

Offline alan

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 11951
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2017, 08:39:24 pm »
+1 on the tape idea.   :)
....ride like the one-eyed Jack of Diamonds with the Devil close behind...
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility, it's right. If it disturbs you, it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed."
-Robert M. Pirsig

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5977
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2017, 10:17:36 pm »
The sending unit is probably working just fine.  The gauge has the non-linearity problem.  When you momentarily short the wire on the sending unit to ground, the needle should go all the to the edge of the gauge.  Also, if you have a meter, measure the resistance from the nut on the sending unit to battery or frame ground (not the thermostat housing).  Should be < 1 ohm.

Do you think, possibly, that using a teflon tape, or other sealant, might effect grounding?
Well, as the thermo housing is sitting on a tube, with an o ring seal, and the only metal to metal contact from that point, is the bolt that holds them together.. might want to revisit all that grounding path... :great: :beerchug:

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW

Offline Jim

• Street Cruiser
  • Jim
  • AREA: South Central Area
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2017, 04:21:51 pm »
If you do remove the sending unit, absolutely goes easy on the tape.  2 wraps, tops.  Be sure to support the thermostat housing when tightening the sending unit back up.  Then check the sending unit nut to frame ground to make sure that sole bolt MOB mentioned is providing a good path.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 04:26:33 pm by Jim »