Author Topic: Fairing Washer Replacements in Stock Size  (Read 291 times)

Offline Voskomm

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Fairing Washer Replacements in Stock Size
« on: November 16, 2018, 08:09:01 pm »
Hi All!
Does anyone have a good source for fairing washer replacements? These look to be black nylon M6x16mmx1.5mm. I can find standard M6 with a 12mm outside diameter easily but not 16mm.
Thanks for any help!

Offline Mettler1

• Iron Butt
  • You want answers? We got answers!!
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 1431
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: Fairing Washer Replacements in Stock Size
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2018, 10:17:25 pm »
  If you can't find them you can get an entire kit here .   Murphs' ships fast. :great:

https://www.murphskits.com/index.php?cPath=1_95&osCsid=IxCtaaNF1T63RZ2TyRy3
'94 Concours 115,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,SiSF'sTorque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators, SiSF carb Spa, Delkevic exhaust, Murphs' knee savers +grips, etc

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2018, 10:35:12 pm »
Hi All!
Does anyone have a good source for fairing washer replacements? These look to be black nylon M6x16mmx1.5mm. I can find standard M6 with a 12mm outside diameter easily but not 16mm.
Thanks for any help!

Home Depot or Lowe's...

white or black nylon washers are cheap, so are rubber ones if you want those.. not a big deal.
buy ones for 1/4" screws, O.D. can be anywhere from 1/2" to 5/8", which work fine...
thickness is moot, it's just to protect the plastic.

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline Voskomm

• Big Wheels
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2018, 11:08:04 pm »
I should say I *have* a stack of standard M6x12x1.5 currently but they leave an unsightly and water retaining gap between the edge of the stock screw and fairing. Call me a perfectionist but I'd like to match the ones that haven't run off on this bike. I've checked HD and Lowes but they only seem to have standard metric washers.

Offline Voskomm

• Big Wheels
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2018, 12:03:34 am »
Ah-ha! M6x18x1.5 seems to be the common wider M6 washer size. Found em, thanks!

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2018, 12:16:18 am »
Lowe's and Home Depot, and True Value/Ace hardwares stores have way more SAE (non metric) hardware than metric... here in the USA....

and a 6mm screw is just slightly smaller than a 1/4" (by .014")... I don't see why it would be hard to choose...

or, buy the Kaw parts....
WASHER,6X16X1
92022-1818
$1.30  EACH....

you won't find the nylon ones with the o/d you are asking for, anywhere's else... it's not the common size associated with a generic fastener, sorry...

Just buy these, they will grip the screw, and not get lost, and will seal, as you seem to be very.....fixated... on that, which is not what they were ever intended for in the firstplace..

anyways, they ship like overnight...$11.17 per pack of 100... but they are superior, as they are Rubber.... and stick with the screws...

https://www.mcmaster.com/90133a032

good luck.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2018, 12:22:07 am by MAN OF BLUES »

Offline Voskomm

• Big Wheels
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2018, 12:44:42 am »
I ordered a stack of the 18mm. I will try to carry on with my life, knowing there is 1mm more nylon around my screws than Kawasaki has deemed necessary.  >:(

That mcmaster carr site is great though, I'm going to have to remember that; I'm sure something else will come up.

Offline LeeM

• Training Wheels
  • Maintain it for 120 drive it like I'm 70
    • Working on ways to save our asses.
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 12454
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2018, 03:35:18 am »
I make my own fairing washers from hardware store sheet neoprene. The hardware store has 1/8" and 1/16" sheet neoprene.

I have a small punch set (from China) with a 1/4" hole size for 6 mm screws. I used to cut the washers freehand with sidecutters or tin snips. I have another punch set with a 3/4" hole size. In a few cases, i use slightly longer 6mmx17mm stainless steel pan head screws with a 6mm sstl fender washer. Mark the neoprene with ball point pen before punching.  With a hammer and a hardwood block, I can make 4 washers at a time. Good idea -- put on hearing protectors when using the punches.

Offline bajasam

• Bicycle
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2018, 02:50:09 pm »
What ! There's supposed to be washers on my fairing fastners ??

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2018, 09:12:11 pm »
I make my own fairing washers from hardware store sheet neoprene. The hardware store has 1/8" and 1/16" sheet neoprene.

I have a small punch set (from China) with a 1/4" hole size for 6 mm screws. I used to cut the washers freehand with sidecutters or tin snips. I have another punch set with a 3/4" hole size. In a few cases, i use slightly longer 6mmx17mm stainless steel pan head screws with a 6mm sstl fender washer. Mark the neoprene with ball point pen before punching.  With a hammer and a hardwood block, I can make 4 washers at a time. Good idea -- put on hearing protectors when using the punches.

I mentioned this a couple months ago, I do the same thing, make them from Laundry detergent, windshield washer, antifreeze, bottles... even old Oil bottles... you can find a suitable color, and make your own with a $7 punch set from H/F...
I just chuck the punchs (small hole first, then big to pop out the washer) in my Drill press chuck, lay a piece of wood on the platten, insert strip-o-plastic, and use the press as a manual press... ez-pz... no pounding or hearing protection needed.. I don't even use safety glasses...
 :)) :)) :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :great: :great: