Author Topic: Faring Crack  (Read 2358 times)

Offline 02Conni

• Tricycle
  • Go4aRide...and Ride Safe
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Faring Crack
« on: December 23, 2010, 12:09:43 pm »
I have a cosmetic question.

My fairing has a small crakc, probably about 6" in length on the right side. What do you suggest to fix/cover this? It is more of a cosemtic thing than anything else. I thought about a small 6" Kawasaki sticker.

Anyone have any other suggestions or do you think this might work?

Thanks

TK
My Conni changed my life

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Industry Member
  • I Need a Life
  • COG#: 6977
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: Faring Crack
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2010, 01:46:57 pm »
 Tod - I'm going to WAY out on a limb here and do something I never do, but in this case I really feel compelled. I have followed your posts for awhile; you ask us stuff like "what's this valve on the right side" and of course you're meaning the petcock on the left side; you ask how to change plugs, but you don't know how to pull your tank. I mentioned a valve adjustment (important !) , and you ignored it entirely. You ask about painting, and don't know what powdercoating is. Now asking about crack repair, which is another developed skillset. 
     You also say "my conni changed my life", s I assume you'ld really like to meet other folks who are "into" thier connies, especially if they're close by to you.
      So my questions - how old are you, and how many bikes have you owned prior to this one?
      It's obvious to me that you don't have any mechanical maintenance background. That's fine, but I would expect that you'ld have a cursory understanding of your motorcycle, like what a petcock is and how it functions. I'd expect you could get the tank off without a writeup from us. Further, I'm right up 75 from you, and I have several connies in various states of repair right now. Many opportunities for you to come up and learn about your bike. There are also many COG members in the area; we get together often and help each other out constantly. Why are you choosing to forego REAL help that's just a short ride away, and continue to ask for help in areas that are clearly out of your area of expertise? You don't have to be a COG member to meet and ride with us, but I'd expect that once you did attend a COG function, even a RTE, you'ld become a COG member, 'cus it's a cool thing to do  :)  Waddya think? Steve
C-14 ECU flashing for performance and rideability enhancement
C-10 Carb work , cams, & performance enhancements
 " Modifications for sport-tourers, BY a sport-tourer"
https://sites.google.com/site/shoodabenengineering/home

Offline 02Conni

• Tricycle
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2010, 02:20:38 pm »
Well, Steve...you are correct. I have very limited mechanical knowledge and I thought this forum was for asking questions and getting necessary answers. I would love to come out sometime and enjoy the company of others who ride and enjoy the Concours like myself. My wife and I like to do things together on the weekends but I am afraid she doesn't share the same interest and enthusiasm as I do about riding. I value the feedback I get here and have put some if it to use. However, if you feel my questions are annoying and pointless, I will no longer post on this site.
My Conni changed my life

Offline oldsawfiler

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 8062
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2010, 02:42:47 pm »
Tod,  Steve was not trying to run you off.  He was making a good suggestion, however if your circumstances don't allow you to get together with others that's fine.  We will continue to try to answere as best we can. 
On the fairing crack,  I would think that  vibration would split any sticker that you could cover it with.  The fairing can be glued back together with ABS pipe cement found at any hardware store.
If you can separate the crack and work a little glue into it or get behind it and glue from the inside would be best.  After that go ahead and apply a sticker to cover the blemish.  If you can get to the back side, I would place a splint of ABS over the crack to stiffen it.
Well...even if you fall on your face you're still moving forward.

COG # 8062  AMA # 1084053  ROMA

• Industry Member
  • I Need a Life
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2010, 02:47:27 pm »
Well, Steve...you are correct. I have very limited mechanical knowledge and I thought this forum was for asking questions and getting necessary answers. I would love to come out sometime and enjoy the company of others who ride and enjoy the Concours like myself. My wife and I like to do things together on the weekends but I am afraid she doesn't share the same interest and enthusiasm as I do about riding. I value the feedback I get here and have put some if it to use. However, if you feel my questions are annoying and pointless, I will no longer post on this site.

This forum IS for asking questions and getting help - and no legitimate questions are annoying and pointless... But one thing i've learned is life is that sometimes it's best to watch, ask questions and learn. If the subject is out of your realm, it's best to find someone who is skilled in that area to take over. Case in point, my computer - I'm an idiot about computers, about all I can do is turn it on. Last week I had an issue that prevented me from connecting to the internet. I had no clue what to do, but Cesar Ocampo (fellow Cogger) sorted it out in no time. Sometimes it's best to find the guy for the job, and let it be his problem so you can do what you do best, that's all I meant  :)  Steve

Offline doug

• Road Bike
  • 'On The Road Again.. just can't wait..'
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 9344
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2010, 04:32:07 pm »

Todd,
I have also come into a new relationship with my Concours. I also have a wife who actively tried to turn me away from getting a bike in fear for my life. (along with my mom) I am blessed in that I have been in repair work for 30+ years so I have technical abilities. However, I have nearly NO experience working and upkeeping a motorcycle and I too would quite likely be put off by Steve's apparent attitude. The typed word is totally up to interpretation and as harsh as I saw it, I tend to tone down by 50% what my thought is when reading posts. I have asked a few questions and posted when I learn something new. I have had a mixture of responses (most very supportive) and some could have been taken as "well DUH..." and caused me irritation. Many here have the Concours and it's care and feeding as almost an idol. It is probably up on a pretty high pedestal in my life as well. As Sawfilers post indicated there are many who will treat our learning curve with care and respect. I am in full agreement with joining the forum with the small investment it will likely be one of the best you will make on your motorcycle.
Steve has developed a whole industry in perfecting the Concours so obviously he is heavily invested in the care and feeding of it. I will certainly support his business as time moves along. (ConRad is only 8k miles old now)

I, like Steve, have tried to find my boundaries. I know I am not artistic and will gladly pay for any art work I would like to have. I have limits on my Computer knowledge and support those who have invested in that knowledge. HOWEVER I will push my boundaries and in the process I accept the costs of doing so. If I make more of a mess stepping into deeper water than I can tread I will "gladly" eat the cost to have the repir work re-done knowing I gained knowledge in the effort. Sometimes I learn I have abilities I was fearful to explore and sometimes I learn I don't. I say don't just shut down when you hit a bump but rely on the willingness of the gracious few who walked the road before and will share the burden of your learning.

Sawfiler is right about the makeup of the fairng and the repair tact to take.. how do I know this? I posted the way I did a repair (gell superglue and soldering iron) to my fairing when i went down and got great informed knowledge from forum responders as to that fact. My next repair will be with the proper glue for abs and we all grow and develop relationships along the way.

Welcome to the forum and I again urge your joining it as there is great information under the "member" pages.
Good luck with your project and have a blessed Christmas and a great new year.
doug
ConRad the Concours... 2006 C-10 new to me 10/21/2010. 3,1xx miles old at purchase! "Blessed beyond reason"   COG #9344  CDA#0334

Offline John

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 4157
  • Membership Level: Web Master
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2010, 05:36:34 am »
ABS cement from a building supply or hardware store???  If you find some, do let me know as I'd like some that is 'fresh'.  Now why do I say that, well I went to get some 'fresh' ABS cement a few months ago and quickly learned they do not carry it anymore (Home Depot, Lowe's and a local hardware), that they may not even make the stuff anymore.  Seems they wanted to sell me an "All Purpose" plastic cement.  Sorry, I don't buy that when it comes to working with the connie's tupperware.  Someone else can be the guinea pig.

So with that said, and if you find the same info, I'd suggest that you locate a glue/cement that is specifically for ABS fairings.  The other choice is plastic welding and that involves heat, which will most likely affect the paint.  Now I've used both of the prior stated methods, some have held, some have not.  If it is a spot that gets a lot of vibration, like a mounting point, I've not found anything that works a long time (years).  If in a spot that does not get a lot of stress or vibration, the cement route works for the most part.

My scorecard, I've had two ABS glued points to give way, both were on points that get stress from the wind.  On the plastic welded items, I've had one plastic weld that was re-enforced with wire mesh to break again.  This was on a mounting point that gets stress and vibration.  The only real cure for those is try to find a replacement part that is complete, not cracked, and in the right color.    :-)

hth, tcars
John
tcars
John
COG 4157, AMA 390409, ROK Charter Member
SE Newsletter Editor

• Industry Member
  • I Need a Life
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2010, 01:00:59 pm »
John - Murph sells a product called "plasti-fix" this stuff absolutely works! It's pretty easily done, and can be supported with fiberglass. It's won't harm the paint if done on the backside of the panel. clean degrease and rough the surface, use the plasti-fix and some fiberglass sheeting. It will be as strong as the original panel. I have done broken off tabs with it and it works perfectly. Steve

Offline doug

• Road Bike
  • 'On The Road Again.. just can't wait..'
  • COG#: 9344
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2010, 01:38:49 pm »
TOD.... Did you get all the answers?
A cursory Thank You goes a long way here!  ;D That's about all the payback I've given...
That, and trying to help others here when I can. That is what forum life is about.  :)
I know you are blessed to be very close by some great help.. If I was closer than 2 states away Steve would have to run me off with a carb rack!!!!
doug
ConRad the Concours... 2006 C-10 new to me 10/21/2010. 3,1xx miles old at purchase! "Blessed beyond reason"   COG #9344  CDA#0334

Offline rneal55555_NH

• Bicycle
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 7889
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2010, 10:13:33 pm »
I've had good results with Devcon Plastic Welder and fiberglass mat on the back side as a reinforcement. It's been holding 4 years now on the bottom of the trunk on my Venture which had cracked around the mounting holes.  The trunk has at times carried way more weight then it probably should have.

I don't have any personal experience with it but some on the Venturers.org forum have used this http://www.urethanesupply.com/plastifixhowto.php

Russ Neal  Milton, NH  Originally from Willsboro, NY  04 Connie  99 Yamaha Venture  IBA # 32003  Venturers.org # 1774

Offline mellow yellow

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 9301
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2010, 12:59:15 am »
Hi Tod, I've had a couple of stress cracks and also a crack due to a no speed drop. I've tried the all purpose cements and they don't work for long. the only stuff that worked was the abs specific cement. I haven't purchase any recently at h.depot, but if they don't carry it, you might try your local hardware store. I've also had luck with fiberglass. I also saw somewhere how someone repaired the fairing using abs scraps and a soldering gun. It basically depends on your skill level, how much time you want to invest in the repair. as another poster said just placing a sticker over the crack isn't going to remedy the underlying problem. good luck and if you're not that mechanically inclined make sure you practice on a piece of scrap before doing it on your bike. happy holidays!! :)
05 connie

Offline Rev Ryder

• Officer
  • I Need a Life
  • We came. We saw. We Concours-ed.
    • Presbychuck
  • COG#: 7235
  • Membership Level: Executive Director
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2010, 03:07:31 pm »
I've fixed a ton of Connie plastics and have used about everything to do it that can be used.  There are a LOT of things that work temporary and others that work well long term.  ABS cement and ABS plastic backing works well, but takes some time.  The fastest, cheapest, easiest, and in my book the only epoxy that will work long term is the Devcon mentioned below.  It is also available at True Value Hardware stores (ask Paul Harvey) and while it may not say Devcon on the package, it WILL say PLASTIC WELDER.  It really is good stuff for most plastic, ABS being one it bonds to incredibly well.  Working time is limited so plan your work and gitterdun.
Fortis non Ferox
 Shafties Can't Wheelie

Offline Rev Ryder

• Officer
  • I Need a Life
    • Presbychuck
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2010, 03:09:18 pm »
I've fixed a ton of Connie plastics and have used about everything to do it that can be used.  There are a LOT of things that work temporary and others that work well long term.  ABS cement and ABS plastic backing works well, but takes some time.  The fastest, cheapest, easiest, and in my book the only epoxy that will work long term is the Devcon mentioned below.  It is also available at True Value Hardware stores (ask Paul Harvey) and while it may not say Devcon on the package, it WILL say PLASTIC WELDER.  It really is good stuff for most plastic, ABS being one it bonds to incredibly well.  Working time is limited so plan your work and gitterdun.

EDIT TO ADD:
No matter whether you go the ABS plastic route or the Plastic Welder, you MUST remove the paint wherever you expect to make a bond.  If you do not remove the paint, the bond will likely fail regardless of how well you do everything else.
Fortis non Ferox
 Shafties Can't Wheelie

Offline 02Conni

• Tricycle
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2010, 01:31:09 pm »
Thank you everyone for your support. I guess I am so into the Conni that I would like to learn as much as possible about it and maybe jump in some time and try the repairs myself. My apologies for asking so many questions with obvious answers but I am new to the Conni and am very appreciative for everyone's understanding.

Have a safe holiday season...and please...RIDE SAFE!!!

TK
My Conni changed my life

Offline oldsawfiler

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2010, 03:25:19 pm »
Tod,  Most questions with obvious answers are only obvious to those who already know the answer.  The main purpose of this forum is 2 fold:  to get to know people with like interests, and to find answers to questions we don't know the answers too with out having to learn them the hard way.
Keep asking and we will all learn from one another.

Offline Colin

• Crotch Rocket
  • I'd rather be riding!
    • Facebook
  • COG#: Forum
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2010, 10:28:58 pm »
Tod,  Most questions with obvious answers are only obvious to those who already know the answer.  The main purpose of this forum is 2 fold:  to get to know people with like interests, and to find answers to questions we don't know the answers too with out having to learn them the hard way.

It's also a hook to get you to become a fully psid member of COG where you will find other "goodies" in the members only section of COG library..  :D
Selling my ZGRX - C10 with a ZRX1200 Engine - Details Here
Colin Prior

Offline Rev Ryder

• Officer
  • I Need a Life
    • Presbychuck
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2011, 02:46:14 pm »
+1
It's always the case that there are folks lurking (not a bad thing) and learning simply by the questions others ask.  If no one asks, they quit learning and probably go away.  However, many lurkers become forum users and then members as their comfort level with the folks present here goes up.  Every question is on someone's mind at some time.  The wisest of Connie-dom's sages were once neophytes and newbies.  New folks asking questions are usually the spark for new knowledge and growth in every area of the club.  Very cool!
Fortis non Ferox
 Shafties Can't Wheelie

Offline oldsawfiler

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2011, 03:32:40 pm »
I think that I just read this the other day and it is a fact.  "THE ONLY STUPID QUESTION IS THE ONE THAT IS NOT ASSKED."