Author Topic: Firm brakes?  (Read 1501 times)

Offline Dirty Elbow

• Big Wheels
Firm brakes?
« on: November 09, 2008, 12:16:00 am »
Got another thing that's bugging me... The front brakes    New pads, stainless brake line, and master cylinder rebuild kit have all been installed. Yet the lever has a lot of travel in it before things begin to slow down.   Yeah they've been bled. That leaves caliper rebuild. Will that give the firmer feel that I seek?     I have read the stories regarding bleeding the system and think that it's been done correctly. Of course I'll do it again when I get the new black donuts.    Thanks  
Bruce Fraser  COG# 8228    "Don't crush that dwarf! Hand me the pliers!"

Offline Charlie_Gary_AAD

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 8048
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
Firm brakes?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2008, 02:19:00 pm »
A buddy just put new lines on his front brakes, and he told me he fought it for a long time until he pulled his caliper from the mount and held it upside down and as high as the line would allow.  This allowed the air bubbles to rise up into the caliper instead of fighting gravity.  Ten minutes of this got him excellent lever feel, and he did two front calipers.      Later,           Charlie
Later, 
Charlie - NWAAD
COG# 8048
AMA# 603377
Re-defining the phrase "Rides like a grandpa"

Offline Slybones

• Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 6953
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
Firm brakes?
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2008, 03:21:00 pm »
I would not do the caliper rebuild, I would do the caliper replacement. I would get some 4 pot calipers from ebay, new caliper brackets from COG member zrxmopar, and some new HH pads to do with it.    Strangely enough the calipers did not firm mine up all that great, until I broke the front brake lever at last years 2007 NWCOG regional rally. Upon installing the new lever, from the first second I squeezed it to check it worked it was a big big difference. During the course of that weekend, I had to change the dial setting to loosen it up a bit.     I also had the lines and stuff when I did mine calipers. After the new lever I have had more than one comment about lever travel and firm brakes. More than one Connie owner has done zrxmopars upgrade after riding my scoot. This can be done with the stock 300mm rotors or aftermarket 320mm rotors. You need to know in advance so you know which brackets to order. Hands down my favorite mod to the Connie.   2003 Concours  COG #6953  http://mysite.verizon.net/slybones/Concours/connieMain.htm
2003 Concours, 121K
2005 GL1800ABS, 52K
COG #6953, IBA 28004

Offline mtc1966

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 7998
  • Membership Level: Active
Firm brakes?
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2008, 04:23:00 pm »
would not do the caliper rebuild, I would do the caliper replacement. I would get some 4 pot calipers from ebay, new caliper brackets from COG member zrxmopar, and some new HH pads to do with it.    thats good advise except he his no longer producing or selling his adapters.    

Offline Stasch

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 6830
  • Membership Level: Active
Firm brakes?
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2008, 11:57:00 pm »
Try zip tying the front brake lever 'closed' overnight.  
Stan Visser - COG#: 6830  - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - > C10 STUFF FOR SALE - Parts List

He IS a racer, hence the forward lean!!  by: Mettler1

Offline Slybones

• Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 6953
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
Firm brakes?
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2008, 02:03:00 am »
thats good advise except he his no longer producing or selling his adapters    Bummer. Serious bummer.  :(  2003 Concours  COG #6953  http://mysite.verizon.net/slybones/Concours/connieMain.htm
2003 Concours, 121K
2005 GL1800ABS, 52K
COG #6953, IBA 28004

Offline smithr1

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 6197
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
Firm brakes?
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2008, 02:00:00 pm »
Try dropping the bike, worked for me.  I had a gentle lay down once.  I think I was holding the front brake the entire time and someone helped me back up so I never let/got off.  My brake was more firm then any bleeding I have ever done after that.  But really, it is just hard to get a good bleed on some systems.  I think the tip over just dislodged a stuck bubble in the system somewhere.  ----------------------------------  I will answer any question.  It is up to you to figure out if I should have.    <p align="left">My Photos<br
---
Bob Smith (smithr)
Austin, Texas baby!
2010 Kawasaki Concours, Midnight Blue
COG 6197, CDA 107

Offline diablo6v

• Scooter
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Firm brakes?
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2008, 02:45:00 pm »
This might sound to easy but I put new pads on. (EBC-FA-organics)New castol dot 4 all synthetic brake fluid. A work buddy told me to clean the hell out of the calipers and springs with brake clean. I beld them using motion pros brake bleeder tool($15)NO BUBBLES. Lever action is great. Complete two finger stops with OEM brake lines! I was way cool on them for the first 150miles or so(no glazing. My dust seals do need replacing & I want some new steel lines to complete the ugrade but this was really just maintenance..IMHO