Author Topic: Fork seal: easy or P.I.A?  (Read 1063 times)

Offline Tjnoma99

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 12686
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: Fork seal: easy or P.I.A?
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2017, 03:42:22 am »
I'm @ 43k.
The secret to life: 👆👆👇👇👈👉b a b a start!

2013 Kawasaki Concours 14, 2005 Yamaha Roadstar Warrior xv1700, 2003 Kawasaki Concours

Offline connieklr

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 1608
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2017, 11:11:32 am »
A hint:

Once the tubes have been installed back on the bike and secured with the bottom pinch bolts only, the fun part can be getting the cap back on.  Like all things, there's a procedure that helps.

NOTE: For the immediate below, the springs have not yet been installed.

In turn, take each cap and place on the top of the tube it will going in during final assembly. Slowly rotate the cap and determine the point where the threads just begin to grab.  Using a magic marker, pencil - something - make a mark on the cap so you can reference it with a fixed spot on the top clamp (the slit in the clamp works).  Repeat this for the other cap.

The whole reason for this procedure is to help get the cap started when the springs are in place. Trying to push down on the cap (against spring pressure) and turn it to get the threads started (without cross-threading) can be a real PITA.

Another hint is to use a speed wrench.  These make it easy to apply a downward force and turn at the same time.

Finally, install the springs.  Position the cap in place so your alignment mark is just to the left of the fixed reference you've established.  With a straight downward force, push the threaded portion of the cap into the bore of the tube.  Insuring that it is straight, rotate the cap clockwise at least a 1/2 to 3/4 of a turn.  The threads should have engaged easily to the point that you didn't even notice.  Slowly relax downward pressure to make sure the threads are engaged, and if so, continue tightening the cap.  Gorilla tight isn't necessary.  Once you tighten the top clamp bolts, the tube will constrict and keep the cap in place.

Repeat for the other cap.

« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 11:30:49 am by connieklr »
COG #1608
COG Life Member
Semi-Civilian
GB Young Services, LLC

Offline Tjnoma99

• Mini Bike
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2017, 11:55:36 pm »
UPDATE- So I chickened out on doing the seals. I know, blasphemy but I need the bike this weekend and with my schedule it wasn't happening. Anyway, I'm glad I didn't do them. Turns out that the P.O. had the seals replaced, but not with fork seals. He had a REGULAR O-RING in there! I went riding on these. I kinda want to go to the previous owners house and have a few words but I know that's a bad idea. Plus, after all the time and money I've put into her, I have one hell of a ride! Thanks for the help and all of the great info here. I am saving this post so when the time comes, I will do the next seals on my own!

2013 Kawasaki Concours 14, 2005 Yamaha Roadstar Warrior xv1700, 2003 Kawasaki Concours

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2017, 05:11:48 am »
UPDATE- So I chickened out on doing the seals. I know, blasphemy but I need the bike this weekend and with my schedule it wasn't happening. Anyway, I'm glad I didn't do them. Turns out that the P.O. had the seals replaced, but not with fork seals. He had a REGULAR O-RING in there! I went riding on these. I kinda want to go to the previous owners house and have a few words but I know that's a bad idea. Plus, after all the time and money I've put into her, I have one hell of a ride! Thanks for the help and all of the great info here. I am saving this post so when the time comes, I will do the next seals on my own!

I have no idea what you are trying to say here... there is an o ring that seals the tbreaded cap on, but no other ones, nor could there be a "sealed" fork having an o ring in place of the correct lip seal below the dust boot, held in by the clip... so explain.....please.

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW

Offline Tjnoma99

• Mini Bike
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2017, 11:54:39 am »
In place of the fork oil seal was a rubbery oring. The oil seal is some what rigid. What was in its place was not what should've been there. I'm a plumber and what was in the place of the deal was similar to the rubber gasket that gets placed on sink drain fittings to seal them. It's nothing more than a think rubbery oring type gaskets that expands when compressed.

Offline connie_rider

• OtP {assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 4154
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2017, 01:12:13 pm »
Must have leaked like crazy.   :-[
No way it could work correctly.   :-[ :-[ :-[

You didn't happen to keep it did you?
Would be worth posting a photo to show others...

Ride safe, Ted
14 Connie (Traveler II)
03 Connie (Buddy)

To contribute to "OtP", (Chg. Card or paypal)  Click Here
(For Paypal) send to treasurer@cog-online.org

Offline Tjnoma99

• Mini Bike
« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2017, 02:04:53 pm »
I wish I did take a pic of it. It just amazes me that someone thought it would work. Or maybe the P.O. had it put in there just to get rid of the bike. Who knows, just glad it's fixed!

Offline connieklr

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2017, 06:30:17 pm »

Ride safe, Ted

If I interpreted his post, they're still in there since he didn't have time to replace them; pix may become available later.

I sure the PO just followed some advice MOB had given him way back in the the middle ages.   :s_laugh:

Ducking and running................................................
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 07:10:48 pm by connieklr »
COG #1608
COG Life Member
Semi-Civilian
GB Young Services, LLC

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2017, 08:22:22 pm »

Ride safe, Ted

If I interpreted his post, they're still in there since he didn't have time to replace them; pix may become available later.

I sure the PO just followed some advice MOB had given him way back in the the middle ages.   :s_laugh:

Ducking and running................................................

:rotflmao: :nananana: :nananana: :nananana:

I learned everything I know about bikes from you....wayyy back when the earth was still cooling....
Wasn't me, I would have said to use RTV or JB Weld, that's what you always told me to use... ain't it?
Or was it those small wide rubber bands that come on the celery stalks...?

:truce: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Seriously, I have no idea what he did....or used... but none of it sounds good....

Offline connieklr

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2017, 08:57:42 pm »
Or duct tape........

Seriously, Hope Tjnoma99 can get it fixed properly once he can allow the bike to sit for a bit. I had to do mine a few mos. back so I could get it inspected; both seals were leaking pretty badly....... probably from sitting too long.

FWIW - The KLR fork leg in a previous pix belonged to a customer's bike.
COG #1608
COG Life Member
Semi-Civilian
GB Young Services, LLC

Offline Tjnoma99

• Mini Bike
« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2017, 09:21:11 pm »
Oh she's fixed. Had to take it to a friend's shop! He's the one who showed me the o ring used. Even he couldn't believe it. I almost waited to get them done too! I have a road trip planned for this weekend, figured I should get them done before I go!. Glad I did!!!

Offline connieklr

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2017, 10:01:20 pm »
Oh she's fixed. Had to take it to a friend's shop! He's the one who showed me the o ring used. Even he couldn't believe it. I almost waited to get them done too! I have a road trip planned for this weekend, figured I should get them done before I go!. Glad I did!!!

Good. Sorry I misunderstood where things were.
COG #1608
COG Life Member
Semi-Civilian
GB Young Services, LLC

Offline WillyP

• I Need a Life
  • Live Free Or Die
    • Suncook Carpentry
  • COG#: 8799
« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2017, 02:41:44 pm »
There is such a thing as an o-ring with a square cross section. Probably sealed pretty well at first, if it was sized right, but wouldn't have lasted long. It's a wonder it didn't get pushed past the clip, though.
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.
pics

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2017, 10:04:46 pm »
 :-X :-[ :truce: ::) :-X
The time required to find what you say, even if available, to suit o.d. / I.d. / thickness, would be rediculous compared to ordering a new OEM seal.. just saying...

:-[ :-X :truce:

Offline drumstyx

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 12290
« Reply #39 on: November 19, 2017, 04:35:13 am »
I....almost don't even want to believe you. That's some astounding backyard bubba work.

Hope you checked the teflon sliders and your front brake pads, because with all the oil that must have leaked out, your forks would have been damn near dry and oil all soaked into the pads.

There is such a thing as an o-ring with a square cross section. Probably sealed pretty well at first, if it was sized right, but wouldn't have lasted long. It's a wonder it didn't get pushed past the clip, though.

I was thinking the same thing, but big o-rings can get pretty pricey if you have to custom order them. Even cheap aftermarket oil seals @$10 for the pair would have been better!

Offline Tjnoma99

• Mini Bike
« Reply #40 on: November 19, 2017, 05:03:22 am »
I didn't believe it either. I now call my bike little orphan Annie! The things the previous owner did is unbelievable! I guarantee it took more time to come up with this garbage than actually doing it the right way!

Offline WillyP

• I Need a Life
  • Live Free Or Die
    • Suncook Carpentry
  • COG#: 8799
« Reply #41 on: November 26, 2017, 04:19:57 pm »
:-X :-[ :truce: ::) :-X
The time required to find what you say, even if available, to suit o.d. / I.d. / thickness, would be rediculous compared to ordering a new OEM seal.. just saying...

:-[ :-X :truce:

Not if you happened to have an assortment, say, you worked at a hydraulics shop. I use to work in a small repair shop, the owner's nickname was "The O-ring King" and a quarter of the shop was dedicated to rows and rows of bins with every imaginable seal, he threw nothing away. I am sure I could have found something there that could be used for a fork seal.

Note, I wasn't and am not suggesting doing such a thing, but I have seen far worse hacks and some people will go to great lengths to avoid spending one dime on correct parts.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2017, 04:26:46 pm by WillyP »
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.
pics