Author Topic: Found the connies limit  (Read 1849 times)

Offline Warwgn

• Scooter
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: Found the connies limit
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2018, 06:29:43 pm »
Usta block the oil cooler in winter here in the PNW.

Now that is an easy one, wrap a little tinfoil around it and done. Easy on and easy off! I will try that if the temps drop back down again.

Offline SteveJ.

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5603
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2018, 07:13:31 pm »
The oil temp will be fine at least into the 80's with the cooler covered up. Otherwise the oil will tend to over cool resulting in moisture, acids and other bad stuff not being burned off and possible poor lubrication cuz the oil is too thick.

Some of the above is conjecture but it seem to make sense to me.

I used the 195 stat on my '99 C-10 but did not do any of the other, commuting year 'round in central Florida unless it was below 34*. I sold the bike with 234xxx miles on it and it now has over 247 on it so everything seems to have worked out in that regard.

Have fun and  :beerchug:
Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SiSF)
Tick Tock, baby (Ironbuttal)
Steve J  Tavares, FL, one of the Floriduh Steves
'15 Versys650LT, '98 KLR650, (back home), '99 C-10, 234k miles sold

Offline Jorge

• Officer
  • Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 9297
  • Membership Level: Event Host
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2018, 02:13:00 am »
You may be overloading the generator.
For the total draw, you need to add the "normal" loads on the bike:
- Headlight ~4-5 Amps
- Running lights ~4 Amps total
- Ignition ~4 Amps
With all these, and on top the heated gear, you are right up at the max, which is probably rated at around 2,500 engine RPM, or 6,000 Gen RPM (I( don't know the generator drive ratio). At high speeds, you may be barely producing enough for the loads. When you slow down, you start drawing current from the battery. When you stop, you add about 4 more Amps for the brake lights, plus now you're producing less current, and you can draw down the battery.
You may want to consider the "Fairing Extender Kit". Murphs sells them, and you sometimes see someone selling a set. They make the fairing wider, and shield your legs much better from the wind. They may help you need less heated gear because of the extra wind protection.
As others had already said, raise your idle speed to 1100, and this will help. Even a few more RPMs can make a difference, and in your situation, every amp counts.
You can try an experiment: Put a voltmeter on the battery, and check voltage (should be over 12.5 volts). Start the bike, after a bit it should go to around 13.8 or higher. Start turning on heated gear, and see where the voltage ends up. Then turn on all the gear and see what RPM is needed to bring the voltage above 13V - this is your break-even RPM. There are other factors, but this will give you an idea.

BTW- Good for you that you are are brave and dedicated enough (or crazy, or both) to ride in these temperatures. We already know Derick is crazy.

You'll work it out  :motonoises:

Offline danodemotoman

• Sport Tourer
  • Yo Ho, Yo HO, it's a bikers life for me!
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 2877
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2018, 05:23:12 am »
 I used a flat piece of plastic that slipped in behind the protective screen. No fastener.
[/quote]

Now that is an easy one, wrap a little tinfoil around it and done. Easy on and easy off! I will try that if the temps drop back down again.
[/quote]

Offline Stasch

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 6830
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2018, 12:23:40 pm »
Here's some info that may help:

System Ratings 28.6 Amps 14 volts 400.4 watts

Stock:

Headlamp ( 55/60 low beam) 55 watts