Author Topic: Found the connies limit  (Read 1665 times)

Offline Warwgn

• Scooter
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Found the connies limit
« on: January 18, 2018, 12:46:24 pm »
It was 13 when I left the house this morning wind chill running 80MPH on the interstate made it quite a bit lower :motonoises: the tips of my fingers were getting cold after about 30 min but that was my exit so warmed back up as the heated gloves and grips caught up once I was back in the 50MPH range.

Anyway with full heated gear had to keep it reved up at the lights since it was wanting to drop down in rpms, but by the time I got to work and turned into the lot I did not keep it reved and it died, tried to start it and nothing would not do anything at all. put it in neutral and still no joy so hopped off and walked it to my parking spot and turned everything off and unplugged, by the time I got my helmet off and gloves and put my hat on I turned the key and it fired up showed 14.4 volts but had to keep it reved up or it would die, it did not want to idle. So I think it just does not like the temps below 15*, I rode the first week of the year at 15* and it was ok still had to keep it reved up to charge but it would idle without gear plugged in. Will see how it does when it's time to go home.

Offline Larry_Buck_FL

• Industry Member
  • Road Bike
    • Buck Sport Touring
  • COG#: 3451
  • Membership Level: Event Host
Re: Found the connies limit
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2018, 01:00:57 pm »
What items of heated gear are you using?
Larry Buck - COG 3451, Retired SE-AD, now SE-AAD, Ex - Concourier C-10 Tech Editor, COG National Safety Officer, IBA 5581, MSF-Rider Coach, Forum moderator.

Buck Sport Touring-"Ride Far" www.bucksporttouring.com

Offline Warwgn

• Scooter
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2018, 01:26:16 pm »
Oxford heated grips, Tourmaster synergy 2.0 jacket liner and chap liner( with full leather overpants), warm n safe socks that plug into the chap liners, and first gear heated gloves. I was warm n toasty, had the pants, gloves and socks turned on to 5 out of 5, the jacket was 4 out of 5, and grips on 75%. As long as it is over 1200 RPM it shows 14.4 volts but once it gets below that it drops to about 12.2.

There is a single controller for all the gear with 2 knobs, one for the jacket and one for the rest they all plug into each other. The grips have there own controller.

Offline DC Concours

• Crotch Rocket
  • 2001 Concours, ~19K miles
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2018, 01:31:49 pm »
Test Ride without the gear plugged in and see. Get a battery test done and see the condition of the battery under a load. A couple of weeks ago I rode in low 20s temperatures with no problem at all. Albeit I had no heated gear and my ride was short. The bike is cold-blooded so it has an issue starting up in cold but once started and properly warmed up it should run fine even in the low teens. The last time I had to keep the throttle twisted to keep the bike running was when I had dirty carbs.

Offline Warwgn

• Scooter
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2018, 01:49:08 pm »
Brand new battery, I ride everyday and it was fine Monday with just jacket and gloves, Tuesday it snowed and iced so took the truck and yesterday did not go in since my street still had a lot of ice until about 1pm, but today was the coldest I have ridden it in. I rode full gear a few weeks back for a day with the same setting and it was fine but outside temps were a bit warmer.

Last week it would not start in 34* temp when leaving work and showed low voltage so jumped it from a friends car and rode home and it worked fine that night and the next morning when it was 28*, but went and got a new Yusa YTX20HL-BS anyway and put it in Saturday. Was working fine Monday when I rode and the battery has about 180 miles of charging on it before today.

Not sure what effects the cold had on it but it did not like it that cold, and the bike was fully warmed up for sure, just rode 20 miles at 80 MPH and about 15 through town after that. I am sure the heated gear is the biggest part of the issue but this is only the 2nd time I have worn all the gear, I only use the jacket, gloves, and grips when it is over 20*, then just gloves and grips when it is over 40*, and only grips over about 50*.

What confused me was why nothing happened when I hit the start button, no spin of the starter at all, but was showing 12 volts? It was in 1st or 2nd gear but usually it spins as long as the clutch is in, so that freaked me out a bit but as I said it did start again after parking it so will see how it goes at 3 when I am ready to leave, it's supposed to be about 43* by then.

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Industry Member
  • I Need a Life
  • COG#: 6977
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2018, 01:54:15 pm »
block the radiator with cardboard and only leave a small area for air to get it. keeping the engine temps up will go a long way to keeping it running in such a cold environment.  Steve
C-14 ECU flashing for performance and rideability enhancement
C-10 Carb work , cams, & performance enhancements
 " Modifications for sport-tourers, BY a sport-tourer"
https://sites.google.com/site/shoodabenengineering/home

Offline Warwgn

• Scooter
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2018, 02:20:59 pm »
Thanks Steve, I am guessing that would do the trick! I just went out for a break and put the choke on and it fired right up, didn't let it warm up just wanted to make sure it would start, but I think that is the problem it was just really cold and the added wind chill made it act like it was just started and the engine was plenty cold.

Offline RWulf

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 7122
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2018, 02:31:47 pm »
Steve that's something we use to do up here in the white North.
Over time we found that the part of the radiator that wasun covered
would plug up. The coolant in the cold (uncovered) part was thicker
and held all the crud and it would collect there. We still cover diesels
but this does not seem to happen, don't know why.
Warwgn google what happens to lead acid battery capacity and temperature.
You can see how much de-rated it is at those temperatures.

Offline DC Concours

• Crotch Rocket
  • 2001 Concours, ~19K miles
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2018, 03:29:35 pm »
If you are getting intermittent no starts, and voltage fluctuations there might be a electrical issues. Alternator, jbox. Your heated gear is the variable. Remove it, freeze yourself for a bit and see. You don't need heated gear in the 40s. I don't and I am a delicate flower.

I have never ridden in the very cold like you do but I have used the block-the-radiator method on my previous bikes in 25-30 deg temps. Never made a difference; perhaps it wasn't cold enough. But I am always wary of blocking radiators in the first place. C10s get pretty hot and blocked ventilation is already an issue so I never bothered blocking anything further.

Anyway, previously I used to use a few layers of kitchen alum foil paper. Much easier to wrap around the portion of the radiator you want blocked and you can easily cut slits or holes as needed to allow air.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 03:35:14 pm by DC Concours »

Offline Ranger Jim

• Iron Butt
  • COG#: 6720
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2018, 03:36:33 pm »
I think you might have been putting more electrical load than the alternator could provide.  Have you done any kind of calculation as to how many amps all that gear was drawing?  IIRC, the alternator doesn't really start producing it's rated amperage until the engine is turning over 2400 rpm. I could be wrong on that, it's been a while since I looked any of that stuff up.
JIM CULP
OtP Jr. Slave Laborer (Safety)

No one is a TOTAL failure; they can always be used as a bad example.

Offline SteveJ.

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5603
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2018, 03:41:46 pm »
What were the idle rpms in the cold?
Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SiSF)
Tick Tock, baby (Ironbuttal)
Steve J  Tavares, FL, one of the Floriduh Steves
'15 Versys650LT, '98 KLR650, (back home), '99 C-10, 234k miles sold

Offline Brooke_Benfield_OR

• Moped
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 2185
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2018, 04:51:14 pm »
Seems like I remember the alternator spec in the factory service manual being 28.6A @ 6,000 RPM, but I could be hallucinating from Riding Withdrawal Syndrome since it's raining and in the mid-40 degree range today... :'(.
Brooke Benfield  2013 FJR1300  COG #2185

Offline Warwgn

• Scooter
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2018, 05:02:55 pm »
Usually once it is warmed up good it will idle at 950 to 1000, today it would not idle would drop down and die. With Just the jacket, grips and gloves it will idle at about 800-900.

I am not sure how many watts all my gear pulls but I am sure it is a bit too much, my GL1500 was fine because I put a 95 Amp alternator on it, the Connie I think is ok for as little as I actually use the full amount of gear.

Just looked it up:
Jacket   51.6 watts  4.3 Amps
Pants    45.6           3.8
Gloves  30              2.5
Socks   18              1.5
Grips    30              2.5

So fully powered up  175.2 Watts and 14.6 amps

Offline SteveJ.

• I Need a Life
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2018, 09:01:15 pm »
I would try setting the idle up to maybe 1100 for the really cold weather. It's easy and free.

:beerchug:
Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SiSF)

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Industry Member
  • I Need a Life
  • COG#: 6977
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2018, 09:08:58 pm »
I would try setting the idle up to maybe 1100 for the really cold weather. It's easy and free.

:beerchug:

+1, that's what it should be all year long. the stock cam timing is to long to idle at 800 properly. steve
C-14 ECU flashing for performance and rideability enhancement
C-10 Carb work , cams, & performance enhancements
 " Modifications for sport-tourers, BY a sport-tourer"
https://sites.google.com/site/shoodabenengineering/home

Offline Warwgn

• Scooter
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2018, 09:46:13 pm »
41 on the way home, jjst rand heated grips and had my phone charging and it was fine, idled at 1000 when at stop lights n such. I think Steve was right engine was just too cold due to outside temps and wind chill factor througj the radiator and stuff. Oh and extra load of full heated gear.

Offline Warwgn

• Scooter
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2018, 12:33:12 pm »
it did better today, was 24 when I left my house but 21 where I work. Took the Hwy vs the Interstate so running 60 to 65. Noticed the needle stayed between the small block and where the line starts on the temp gauge so it never really warmed up good it seems. waas able to keep it reved at lights so didnt die, but when I parked let it idle down and was holding 12.7 volts becore it finally died.

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Sport Tourer
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2018, 01:05:20 pm »
No carb heaters on these bikes , I wonder if the carbs got frosted over. I used to see that on my old VW where the carb heat tubes were blocked
Normally aspirated engines have perpetual turbo lag
2000 Red C10 1052 kit
2008  C14 Silver Dammit Full AreaP- Flies are put back in SISF_Flash
2011  KLR650   688 piston ported and polished
2011  KTM 530    This thing is FUN!!

Offline Warwgn

• Scooter
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2018, 01:26:22 pm »
It is for sure a cold natured beast, always have to use the choke to start it even in the heat of the summer it wants the choke.

Offline Derick

• Road Bike
    • BeginnerBikers.org
  • AREA: North Central Area
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2018, 02:03:25 pm »
Why would you need heated grips AND gloves?!

I rode this past monday for work in balls cold weather, with 5" of snow on the ground....and I just had my heated gloves and was comfortable. The both of them are seemingly redundant.
Current Bikes:
2006 Kawasaki Concours///COG#:11628
2006 Honda Goldwing 1800///GWRRA#:398646

Offline SteveJ.

• I Need a Life
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2018, 02:50:30 pm »
That engine is running quite cold.

I would install a 195* Stant SuperStat thermostat when you get a chance. This high temp stat also works fine in the Florida summer so no issue there. The SuperStat regulates temps better than a regular stat.

Do experiment with alum foil/cardboard on the radiator and cover the oil cooler 100%.

Offline Warwgn

• Scooter
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2018, 03:32:12 pm »
Why would you need heated grips AND gloves?!

I rode this past monday for work in balls cold weather, with 5" of snow on the ground....and I just had my heated gloves and was comfortable. The both of them are seemingly redundant.

I thought the same until I had both. Really only use the gloves when it is really cold, and the grips I put on for when it is just cool, but since I have both I use them and it works awesome. I will admit yesterday the tips of my fingers on my right hand did get cold but not on my left? My gloves are about 2 years old and have seen many a rain storm though, so might be time for a new pair.

Offline Warwgn

• Scooter
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2018, 03:36:49 pm »
That engine is running quite cold.

I would install a 195* Stant SuperStat thermostat when you get a chance. This high temp stat also works fine in the Florida summer so no issue there. The SuperStat regulates temps better than a regular stat.

I may have to give that a try when I do my next big maintenance day 

Do experiment with alum foil/cardboard on the radiator and cover the oil cooler 100%.

May be a while (I hope) temps are back in the mid 60's by this afternoon and will stay warm for a bit if I am lucky.

Offline connie_rider

• "OtP" {retired/assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 4154
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2018, 04:17:13 pm »
No carb heaters on these bikes , I wonder if the carbs got frosted over. I used to see that on my old VW where the carb heat tubes were blocked

I'm thinking the same as Mike...
If it ran ok {with all the gear, early in the ride} and got progressively worse, It's possible that the carbs might have iced up.

NOTE: I have seen photo's of carb heaters on the early C-10.
          Possibly in Europe.

Ride safe, Ted
14 Connie (Traveler II) / 03 Connie (Buddy)
Gone but not forgotten; 87 and 00 Connies..

If your not already a COGger, "consider becoming one".
Help us make "OtP" possible again, DO IT NOW!!

Offline danodemotoman

• Sport Tourer
  • Yo Ho, Yo HO, it's a bikers life for me!
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 2877
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2018, 06:18:43 pm »
 Usta block the oil cooler in winter here in the PNW.