Author Topic: FREE POWER (you're gonna like this one!)  (Read 28861 times)

Offline FastRocket

• Bicycle
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: FREE POWER (you're gonna like this one!)
« Reply #150 on: July 17, 2014, 03:50:22 am »
Very nice FastRocket, but now you have no proof you did it!  :nananana:

I'm not much better though, I've got about 2 miles of black wire cover running
throughout my bike...  I like tidy too.

:rotflmao:  :great:  :beerchug:

2003 Concours
1990 EX 500 Track Bike/1986 GPZ 550
1986 GPZ 550/1978 KE 175
 1975 H1-F 500
1974 H1-F 500

Offline FastRocket

• Bicycle
« Reply #151 on: July 28, 2014, 12:24:04 pm »
So I was able to go out for a bit :motonoises:  on Saturday with the con and wow . The motor is quieter   :great:. It runs smoother  :great:. It accelerates smoothly  :great:. The bike also seems to have less vibration through the pegs and grips  :great:.
 Well isn't that just weird or what . Very simple mod and look what it does for this bike .

Thank you again Steve

;)
2003 Concours
1990 EX 500 Track Bike/1986 GPZ 550
1986 GPZ 550/1978 KE 175
 1975 H1-F 500
1974 H1-F 500

Offline gl5wng

• Big Wheels
« Reply #152 on: July 28, 2014, 09:09:10 pm »
O.K. call me a little more than sceptical on this one, but keeping an open mind I tried it on my '05. Did not get to ride it right away due to weather. I knew the starting was quicker and idle seemed smoother when I first started the old girl. Today I got the first chance to ride and I am a beleiver. With almost 25,000 miles on the clock, she has never run better. Way smoother at idle, pulls harder and just seems to have much improved throttle response. Will let you know after a few tanks if the mpg's change. Thank you Steve, right on target again.

Offline LeeW

• Tricycle
  • COG#: 10398
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #153 on: July 28, 2014, 11:11:51 pm »
I was changing brake and clutch fluid this weekend and did the free power mod while I had my tools out. I ended up tapping (solder and tape) into the ground wire and running a short 12 gauge stranded wire straight to the battery, using a crimped eye terminal on the battery.
I also saw a noticeable difference in cold starting my '87 with 45K on the clock.  Less enricher... and can idle with no enricher a few seconds after starting.
Another believer! Thanks Steve!  :beerchug:
Lee
All the art of living lies in a fine mingling of letting go and holding on. - Havelock Ellis

87 C10

Offline Pbfoot

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 10807
« Reply #154 on: July 30, 2014, 04:01:07 am »
Did the mod today. Definitely more throttle response.
If you don't have time to do it right, when do you have time to do it over.                                                                17" wheels, Nissin 4 piston calipers.1kg Sonic Springs.Cartridge Fork Emulators. KB Brace. Galfer brake lines  Free power mod.

Offline Pbfoot

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #155 on: July 30, 2014, 08:35:17 am »
Update. On the ride home this morning I had the opportunity to get on it a little. All I can say is,Wow! Throttle response is like right now. The mid range to top end pull is much stronger. Daddy likes!
If you don't have time to do it right, when do you have time to do it over.                                                                17" wheels, Nissin 4 piston calipers.1kg Sonic Springs.Cartridge Fork Emulators. KB Brace. Galfer brake lines  Free power mod.

Offline Jack

• Tricycle
  • "so many rules....so little time"
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
« Reply #156 on: August 08, 2014, 12:06:55 am »
Update. On the ride home this morning I had the opportunity to get on it a little. All I can say is,Wow! Throttle response is like right now. The mid range to top end pull is much stronger. Daddy likes!

Ya.......what he said. Performed it yesterday and morning ride to coffee was great with much better response.
"I can only ride on days that end in "y".

Offline Conniesaki

• Tricycle
« Reply #157 on: August 21, 2014, 04:11:19 am »
Thanks Steve. My '86 loved this mod. She starts right up. Lights are brighter. And I have to say there is less vibration. Not sure why that is but I like it. It's like she's 20 years younger! 
'86 Silver Dammit
Santa Rosa><Monterey,Ca

Offline friscoguy

• Big Wheels
« Reply #158 on: March 14, 2018, 01:46:58 pm »
I just got my 3rd Connie about a month ago. I've owned them off and on over the years. This one is a 1998, dark green metallic. It has only 17k miles and is in pristine  condition. It has been stored inside for years. Rebuilt the carbs, installed new air box boots, new petcock. The bike started up fairly easy after I put it back together. Then I read this thread and followed  SISF's suggestion on the FREE POWER and i\now the bike starts up almost instantly even when it's in the 50's. I know that this mod really helped.
Thanks Steve

Offline Bob_L

• Tricycle
« Reply #159 on: June 18, 2019, 02:23:45 am »
Years later, the gift that keeps on giving.
An absolute improvement in performance.
Thanks Steve!
05' 36,000 hard  :motonoises:

Offline Wantabeach

• Tricycle
« Reply #160 on: June 20, 2019, 01:42:49 am »

How do you like the sonic 1.0 springs?  I’m 225 and ordered the 1.1. According to the website i could have gone up to the 1.2; specially since i want to tour with extra weight.

Thanks
Paul.
2006 Kawasaki Concours
2006 Harley Heritage (sold)

Offline Pbfoot

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #161 on: June 21, 2019, 11:40:46 am »

How do you like the sonic 1.0 springs?  I’m 225 and ordered the 1.1. According to the website i could have gone up to the 1.2; specially since i want to tour with extra weight.

Thanks
Paul.
I was advised to get the .9kg based on my 200lbs. I decided to give the 1kg a try as like a firmer ride. Was a little stiff at first but the cartridge fork emulators helped alot. Perfect matchfir the C14 shock. 1.1kg will be fine. 1.2 to stiff

Offline Lee

• Moped
  • COG#: 12558
« Reply #162 on: June 22, 2019, 08:10:49 am »
Would suspect this works so well as you are bypassing a spade terminal connector that is just off the negative battery terminal wires. Cleaning this terminal and/or preferably soldering it would produce similar result would proffer. Just a thought. Hats off to Steve for sharing!

Offline MikeH_OH

• Tricycle
  • AREA: North Central Area
« Reply #163 on: July 03, 2019, 01:08:23 am »
Amazing. This old carbureted bike starts faster than my injected bike! Not sure about more power but simply amazing what 10 minutes and a couple of electrical connectors can do!
I also jumped the ground side of the accessory terminals by the rear brake reservoir and grounded it at the reservoir.

If you don't do this you need to sell your bike!

Offline cra-z1000

• Sport Tourer
  • Keeping it upright..
  • COG#: 9790
« Reply #164 on: July 04, 2019, 11:31:12 pm »
 I did this using a frame ground a couple years ago and really didn't notice much . This morning I moved the wire to the negative post . She seems more responsive for sure now . Those that tried this with a frame ground may want to move it to the negative post .
1987 C 10
80 Kawasaki KZ 1000 MK 2
74 Honda 750 four ss
73 Suzuki 550 triple
72 Honda 550 four