Author Topic: FREE POWER (you're gonna like this one!)  (Read 28932 times)

Offline stevedap

• Scooter
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 10998
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
Re: FREE POWER (you're gonna like this one!)
« Reply #50 on: December 14, 2013, 08:42:24 pm »
How do you measure the voltage drop (or resistance?) at the Igniter connector?  Do you need to cut the b/y ground wire and measure if there is a voltage across the cut wire?  Does the engine have to be running when you do this? Ignition on?   
“Never underestimate the difficulty of changing false beliefs by facts.” --- Henry Rosovsky

"The task is... not so much to see what no one has yet seen, but to think what nobody has yet thought, about that which everybody sees." --- Erwin Schrödinger

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Industry Member
  • I Need a Life
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 6977
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #51 on: December 14, 2013, 08:43:21 pm »
I just did Daytona Mike's test. start dead cold bike, knock enrichener off right away, apply throttle. My bike did as his did, instant start, idled at 500 w/o enrichener, took throttle. I'm floored. Steve
C-14 ECU flashing for performance and rideability enhancement
C-10 Carb work , cams, & performance enhancements
 " Modifications for sport-tourers, BY a sport-tourer"
https://sites.google.com/site/shoodabenengineering/home

• Industry Member
  • I Need a Life
« Reply #52 on: December 14, 2013, 08:48:14 pm »
How do you measure the voltage drop (or resistance?) at the Igniter connector?  Do you need to cut the b/y ground wire and measure if there is a voltage across the cut wire?  Does the engine have to be running when you do this? Ignition on?   

- just slide the plastic connector protector (kind of orangey) back a bit til you can access the wires. Locate the black wire with yellow tracer, stick red probe from the multimeter in from the back, so the connector is still plugged into the ignitor. connect the black multimeter wire to the battery ground. I set mine to the 2v setting. Start bike, observe engine power being lost in the wiring  :-[  Steve

Offline Oldspeed

• Tricycle
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #53 on: December 14, 2013, 08:59:00 pm »
FWIW  - I metered the ground wire  with engine off , I guess the readings would have been much higher while running.  Dedicated / isolation path may be the key.

Steve's 7th Gear,Sprocket and Power jet. MurphKits Powerlet, AudioVox,Grips,Burgman SpinOn, KB Risers & Fork Brace, Datel volt meter, Hella FF50, 80/100 watt, Sonic 1.1 w/R/T Emulators, ZZR1200shock, ClearView,Zumo 660,Eclipse,Shad42

Offline DVanecekOld

• Mini Bike
  • 2000 Concours 1970 CL350 project bike
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 11188
« Reply #54 on: December 14, 2013, 09:30:39 pm »
Thank you Smooooth!

By the way (edited June 6th) I have indeed done this, does bike run better, well, it runs very well indeed, I don't think I had enough time on it before doing this to know (plus I also adjusted valves, new plugs, syn carbs) hey, the bike runs great, starts great, I have no complaints.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 08:06:06 pm by VisionDon Nebr »

Offline Herbie

• Moped
  • COG#: 10384
« Reply #55 on: December 14, 2013, 09:41:52 pm »
Not wanting to miss out on the free power I went out to the garage to give it a go,but after removing the tool tray I noticed I have a black wire with yellow tracer already going to the negative connection on the battery and it looks to be from the factory. If this is already the case will it make any difference adding another wire? Thanks, Herbie

• Industry Member
  • I Need a Life
« Reply #56 on: December 14, 2013, 10:36:02 pm »
Not wanting to miss out on the free power I went out to the garage to give it a go,but after removing the tool tray I noticed I have a black wire with yellow tracer already going to the negative connection on the battery and it looks to be from the factory. If this is already the case will it make any difference adding another wire? Thanks, Herbie

Yes Herbie, the issue is to much resistance in the single connection. Steve

Offline stevedap

• Scooter
  • COG#: 10998
« Reply #57 on: December 14, 2013, 10:54:19 pm »

- just slide the plastic connector protector (kind of orangey) back a bit til you can access the wires. Locate the black wire with yellow tracer, stick red probe from the multimeter in from the back, so the connector is still plugged into the ignitor. connect the black multimeter wire to the battery ground. I set mine to the 2v setting. Start bike, observe engine power being lost in the wiring  :-[  Steve

Thank you Steve
:beerchug:

“Never underestimate the difficulty of changing false beliefs by facts.” --- Henry Rosovsky

"The task is... not so much to see what no one has yet seen, but to think what nobody has yet thought, about that which everybody sees." --- Erwin Schrödinger

Offline Herbie

• Moped
« Reply #58 on: December 14, 2013, 10:55:35 pm »
Thanks Steve, I wasn't sure if this was for certain years of C10 or not, with mine being a 2003 I thought maybe the factory addressed and fixed a problem but I guess not. I will not have a chance again until next week to do this but I will report any findings on it after I make the repair. Thanks for sharing this with us, Herbie

Offline Jwh360

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 10578
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #59 on: December 14, 2013, 11:28:53 pm »
Did mine this morning, then went for a quick 150 mile ride.  Totally works!!  Much better throttle response and pulls way better through the rev range.  Great find Steve!!   :great:
SW-AAD SoCal - 2012 Concours 14 "Big Red", 1979 RD400F Daytona Special, 2013 Suzuki GSX-R 750 "Money Pit"

Offline Smooooth

• Street Cruiser
  • Syracuse, NY
    • The Kaw Barn
  • COG#: 10396
« Reply #60 on: December 15, 2013, 12:04:16 am »
Don't forget to clean this bullet connector!!!

This is where the Black/Yellow connects to the Negative Post of the battery.

Stephen
98 C10
73 Honda CT70
'The Kaw Barn' on Facebook

73"s de WA2FDU

Offline SantaCruzRider

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 8702
« Reply #61 on: December 15, 2013, 06:31:53 pm »
Going to try this quick mod today, but I'm confused about one minor point. Which of the following is the case:

1. The new ground wire taps INTO the existing black-with-yellow-stripe wire (essentially leaving the original wire intact or by cutting the original wire and joining the three ends);

or

2. The black-with-yellow-stripe wire is cut and I join the new ground wire to the ignitor end of the original wire, then just cap the end of the original wire leading forward into the harness?

I was reading Steve's original post as #2 and the Smoooth's post as #1.

Thanks
Dan
Dan Breeden
Concourier editor emeritus (2015-'16), OtP tag-along rider 2017
'94 Concours; '02 FZ1

Offline Smooooth

• Street Cruiser
  • Syracuse, NY
    • The Kaw Barn
  • COG#: 10396
« Reply #62 on: December 15, 2013, 06:39:57 pm »
Check out SiSF's new thread - There in lies the answer......................

http://forum.cog-online.org/index.php/topic,48139.0.html

Stephen
98 C10
73 Honda CT70
'The Kaw Barn' on Facebook

73"s de WA2FDU

Offline Herbie

• Moped
« Reply #63 on: December 15, 2013, 08:28:12 pm »
I just finished doing the Free Power mod. Without riding the bike the only real thing I can relay is in the initial start up as here in Illinois we have snow and temps around 30. I have not rode the bike in about a month but I start the bike up every week and let it run until it warms up. Normally I put the enrichener fully on and try to start it but it dies until the fourth time then it will stay running. After this mod it started on the first try and stayed running, after reading Steves post I thought I would immediately turn the enrichener off and see what happens and it stayed idling about 500 rpm until it warmed then went to its normal 1100 rpm. I would say it definitely made a difference. My bike has stick coils that I installed about a year ago although I have had no issues with it on the hot starting or anything else I think this is a great find. Thanks again Steve!!  If any one is interested in what I did;  remove the plug from the igniter peel back the tape, take the black with yellow tracer wire and with automatic wire strippers place it on the wire and peel back the coating without cutting the wire then take your new wire and twist it around the B/y wire then put a little solder on it. I used a dab of dielectric grease on the connection then taped it all up, don't forget the igniter plug and put a little dielectric grease on that while your at it. On the battery end I used a ring connector and crimped it on the wire then attached to the battery. As they say easy peasy, took about ten to fifteen minutes. Herbie

Offline capmfries

• Bicycle
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #64 on: December 15, 2013, 09:05:46 pm »
So the moral of the story is just "T" off of the Black/w yellow stripe and either ground straight to neg. battery post...or find a good grounded bolt to the frame?

Online Mcfly

• Stayin' for the people....
  • Iron Butt
  • What've I done!?
  • COG#: 9921
« Reply #65 on: December 16, 2013, 01:02:36 am »
So the moral of the story is just "T" off of the Black/w yellow stripe and either ground straight to neg. battery post...or find a good grounded bolt to the frame?

Yep.... that's it in a nutshell.  I went to my aux fuse panel ground block with 12 ga.  That in turn has an 8 ga. wire to the (-) on the battery.
2016 BMW S1000XR Premium in Alpine White aka 'Spooky'

SOLD: 2006 Concours aka "Connie"

FL/SE Assistant Area Director

Offline brenton

• Big Wheels
  • COG#: 10679
« Reply #66 on: December 16, 2013, 01:53:32 am »
I did the FREE POWER mod yesterday but did not get to ride the bike till today.  I notice starting is quicker, I can back off the enricher quicker, and today it felt very good on my 75 mile ride.  I chose the cut and splice method.  Thanks Steve.

• Industry Member
  • I Need a Life
« Reply #67 on: December 16, 2013, 01:55:42 am »
video posted on the "Mo free power" thread - steve

Offline TimR

• Global Moderator
  • Iron Butt
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 9032
« Reply #68 on: December 17, 2013, 07:55:13 pm »
Herbie, I'm no so sure starting a bike in cooler temps warming it up without riding it is the best solution. I will not start a bike during the winter unless I can ride it for at least 15 miles. Other wise the bike is not really brought up to operating temp and condensation will occur. As me how I know.  ;)
Blue 1975 Z1B 900, Red 09 C14     I might not be perfect but at least I don't ride a Suzuki

Offline Herbie

• Moped
« Reply #69 on: December 17, 2013, 09:13:06 pm »
TimR,  Thanks for the heads up, normally what I do is start the bike let it warm and run it through the gears (centerstand down of course) ;D It will run until the engine cooling fan comes on then I shut it off. I do this once a week every week until it is time to ride then I dump the oil and add fresh for the new riding season. Been doin this for a long time with no ill effects. I do understand your concern though, thanks, Herbie

Offline Douglas

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 8649
  • Membership Level: Event Host
« Reply #70 on: December 19, 2013, 12:01:45 am »
I'm feeling the need for a new year tech session. Any around the corner? :motonoises:
ASE Certified mechanic.
Former CCS/WERA licensed racer #51.
"Whatever you do in life surround yourself with smart people who'll argue with you" John Wooden
"Political correctness dumbs down our society because idiots come away propagating their beliefs as though they are correct" Douglas Re

Offline 2fast

• Crotch Rocket
  • Red hair & black leather, my favorite color scheme
    • ZG Heat Shields
  • COG#: Forum
« Reply #71 on: December 19, 2013, 12:04:17 am »
Yeah, we are planning one on Jan 11 up here Doug.......come on up!  :rotflmao:
Brian in Minnesota

Offline JDM

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 8877
« Reply #72 on: December 19, 2013, 12:44:18 pm »
Steve, hat's off to you on this one bud. The old Connie is running like a teenager again.  When the temp. gets down in to single digits I will let you know how Ms. Connie likes it. Thanks again JD 

Offline JDM

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 8877
« Reply #73 on: December 20, 2013, 12:01:37 pm »
Steve, I am amazed at how easy the bike starts and idles after this simple addition. I just keep shaking my head at this. I have two 55 watt ruining lights installed on this bike and when they are on I am usually pulling the volts down to where I worry about running the battery down if I am not at road speed. This afternoon I turned the running lights on and I  was still getting 13.7 volts at the battery at idle, and, when I flipped the lights off, the voltage would come back to 14.4. According to the shop manual the alternator should put out 14.0 volts @ 6000 rpm's. After this simple modification, I am getting better than that at 1200 rpm. Steve, I have been around old motorcycles a long time and I have never seen so much improvement with so little effort! All we have done is doubled up on the ground. Who would have thought it? I wish I was smart enough to figure this one out, but I'm not even close!     

Offline SteveJ.

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5603
« Reply #74 on: December 20, 2013, 07:43:25 pm »
Yeah, we are planning one on Jan 11 up here Doug.......come on up!  :rotflmao:

[off topic]

I'll change the oil and ride on up, not.

Those Tech sessions at Linda's rawked. I heard  and seen y'all have new digs for it now.

Doug, I think sometime in March, not sure, though.

[/off topic]

I gotta get this mod done.I did a measurement on the ground wires and it comes up zero, but apparently there is something to this.
Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SiSF)
Tick Tock, baby (Ironbuttal)
Steve J  Tavares, FL, one of the Floriduh Steves
'15 Versys650LT, '98 KLR650, (back home), '99 C-10, 234k miles sold