Author Topic: Front axle clamp bolt hole is stripped  (Read 2175 times)

Offline The Dude

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 11820
  • Membership Level: Active
Front axle clamp bolt hole is stripped
« on: September 07, 2017, 10:41:01 pm »
Just got a fresh front tire mounted today and was just about done getting it all put back together when I stripped out the bolt hole for the axle clamp.  Clymer says 24 foot pounds, and I just about there when POP.  The bolt looks fine, so the fork tube took the damage.

Has anyone else done this?  What's the best repair?  It's a large bolt with fine threads, which makes me leery of heli coils - assuming they're even made in this size.

I just hope I'm not going to have to replace a fork tube.
Past: '84 KZ700, '91 VFR750
Current: '02 CONCOURS (Smooooth Project #3)
Torque cams, 7th gear, SiSF carb treatment, 2MM, free power upgrade, 17" wheels, Sonic 1.1kg with GVEs, Spiegler brake lines.

Offline Jim Snyder

• Crotch Rocket
  • The Connie Rocks !!!
  • COG#: 7055
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
Re: Front axle clamp bolt hole is stripped
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2017, 11:08:42 pm »
One possibility would be to get a longer allen head bolt the same thread and screw it thru and put a cap nut on the back side. 
"Some days you're the windshield, and some days you're the bug" Get used to it cause thats life !!!

Online Rico

• Moped
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 12496
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2017, 11:48:49 pm »
Same thing happened to mine, I'll be checking for a helicoil for it soon.
"Beware of the lollipop of mediocrity. One lick and you'll suck forever!"Brian Willson

Offline works4me

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 10594
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2017, 01:26:11 am »
Under similar circumstances ( stripped threads in aluminum )
a longer bolt and a nut has worked very well.
A cap nut looks best.

Offline Jim Snyder

• Crotch Rocket
  • The Connie Rocks !!!
  • COG#: 7055
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2017, 03:46:05 am »
A cap nut looks best.

Great minds think alike.
"One possibility would be to get a longer allen head bolt the same thread and screw it thru and put a cap nut on the back side."
"Some days you're the windshield, and some days you're the bug" Get used to it cause thats life !!!

Offline Jorge

• Officer
  • Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 9297
  • Membership Level: Event Host
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2017, 10:54:35 am »
Dude,
If you can find a Helicoil, and you do it right, it will be stronger than original. This is because the "grip area" of the Helicoil is larger than the original bolt, and now the bolt grips on steel. Just make sure you use anti-seize since now there would be more risk of corrosion from the Helicoil.
I remember many moons ago, we were having trouble on a piece of equipment that was stripping out threads, all the locations of the size (required to be small due to space constraints) had Hellicoils installed, and troubles went away.
Having said that, a longer bolt and nut would also work.

Offline Herbie

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 10384
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2017, 02:00:05 pm »
One possibility would be to get a longer allen head bolt the same thread and screw it thru and put a cap nut on the back side.

This is what I did

I had the exact thing happen on my 03 C10 when installing the front tire. I went to my local Fastenal store and took the bolt with me and told them I needed  two of the same bolt just a little longer and a couple of nuts, they didn't have the bolt I needed in stock but ordered it in and I had it the next day. I replaced both sides so it would look the same. I installed both bolts, put a little blue loctite on the threads, installed the nuts and all was good. total cost was about $5 but I already had the blue loctite, that would be extra if you have to buy that too.

Offline KellyfromVA

• Moped
  • COG#: 10670
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2017, 10:05:31 pm »
Helicoils are okay, but given this is aluminum, you may want to consider using a timesert: https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=time+sert&tag=mh0b-20&index=aps&hvadid=3482249406&hvqmt=p&hvbmt=bp&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_jyl8ka3y1_p

Good luck!

Online MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2017, 11:22:47 pm »
A cap nut looks best.

Great minds think alike.
"One possibility would be to get a longer allen head bolt the same thread and screw it thru and put a cap nut on the back side."

Not trying to pee in anyones Wheeties.. but putting a longer bolt, into a threaded and somewhat stripped hole, then adding nuts to the threaded end of that same bolt, doesn't accomplish squat... you are now tightening a nut, against already compromised aluminum threads, pulling the bolt out of the compromised threads from the backside...
Use a helicoil.
Done deal...

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW

Offline GeorgeRYoung

• Road Bike
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2017, 01:30:47 am »
If it was mine, I'd drill through to kill the questionable threads and make it a clearance hole for the bolt.

Offline connie_rider

• OtP {assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • COG#: 4154
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2017, 01:46:23 am »
Took me a minute to understand what MOB meant.
   He's right; mostly;
ie; If you tighten the nut, your pulling against the semi stripped threads and accomplish nothing..
But; it will work; if you snug and hold the nut, and then tighten the bolt..

If you opt for a thread insert, {like KellyfromVA}, I stopped using helicoils and now use Timeserts.
              {Mucho improvement over a Helicoil}
              Once installed, the bolt can be installed easily.

But, they ain't cheap!

Ride safe, Ted
14 Connie (Traveler II)
03 Connie (Buddy)

To contribute to "OtP", (Chg. Card or paypal)  Click Here
(For Paypal) send to treasurer@cog-online.org

Offline VTconnie

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 11081
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2017, 12:38:38 am »
Took me a minute to understand what MOB meant.
   He's right; mostly;
ie; If you tighten the nut, your pulling against the semi stripped threads and accomplish nothing..
But; it will work; if you snug and hold the nut, and then tighten the bolt..

If you opt for a thread insert, {like KellyfromVA}, I stopped using helicoils and now use Timeserts.
              {Mucho improvement over a Helicoil}
              Once installed, the bolt can be installed easily.

But, they ain't cheap!

Ride safe, Ted

Not cheap, but the fork area is not an area to skimp. I don't see the issue with the longer bolt and nut setup, maybe hone the threads out of the hole with a drill, and install the longer bolt?
<--2003 Concours C-10 "Conifer", -AKA- The Cruise Missile
1980 CB900C DOHC "Old Iron" -AKA- The Hill Climber                

Online MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2017, 01:23:58 am »
Don't do stupid things like drilling the hole out... that's rediculous....
 :-[ ::) :-[ ::)

Just go to autozone, or any other parts place, and buy a thread insert kit... they list the drill bit needed on the package.. then hit Lowes for the bit...
Man, this gets more and more like pulling teeth for people to comprehend a simple fix....

Here
https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/fix-a-thred-assorted-metric-thread-repair-inserts-25000/9020054-p?c3ch=PLA&c3nid=9020054-P&c3apidt=25063712488&gclid=CjwKCAjwos7NBRAWEiwAypNCe2-MZlP_zepW5zRc4LWYnVb-rssySPbIAQD9QV9cIeuPzI1kM8GCVBoCmOUQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Or,.drill the hole out, and put a nut on a thru bolt.. and when you sell the bike off, we get to deal with the new owner asking "wth ????"

:-[ ::)

Some folks should never work on bikes.. I learn this more and more every day.

Offline Bob H

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 788
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2017, 01:35:38 am »
This is taking on some of the characteristics of a typical oil thread!
MY opinion is the only one, all others have no merit.
Remember, much of what you see on-line is wrong or misguided, your task is to filter that out!
 '88 one owner:
Bone stock...and proud of it!!

Offline The Dude

• Training Wheels
  • COG#: 11820
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2017, 06:03:56 am »
I'll try the thread insert.  Thanks to all for the input.  All except MOB, that is ("Some folks should never work on bikes.. I learn this more and more every day.")

MOB - if you don't like answering people's questions and helping the lesser experienced of us here, feel free to keep your opinions to yourself.  There are friendlier, less insulting members that will help us out.
Past: '84 KZ700, '91 VFR750
Current: '02 CONCOURS (Smooooth Project #3)
Torque cams, 7th gear, SiSF carb treatment, 2MM, free power upgrade, 17" wheels, Sonic 1.1kg with GVEs, Spiegler brake lines.

Offline Grant

• HOTROD TRUCKS & BIKES
  • Bicycle
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 12666
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2017, 06:38:46 am »
Dude,
If you can find a Helicoil, and you do it right, it will be stronger than original. This is because the "grip area" of the Helicoil is larger than the original bolt, and now the bolt grips on steel. Just make sure you use anti-seize since now there would be more risk of corrosion from the Helicoil.
I remember many moons ago, we were having trouble on a piece of equipment that was stripping out threads, all the locations of the size (required to be small due to space constraints) had Hellicoils installed, and troubles went away.
Having said that, a longer bolt and nut would also work.
^^^ This^^^  Even in cast iron a Helicoil will be stronger than the original threads we're, it's much like using a bigger bolt. We would often drill out perfectly good treads to install Helicoils when preparing a race block.
2005 C10, 2016 C14 and a work in progress custom V-TWIN pro Street.

Offline Ranger Jim

• Iron Butt
  • COG#: 6720
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2017, 12:03:03 pm »

MOB - if you don't like answering people's questions and helping the lesser experienced of us here, feel free to keep your opinions to yourself.  There are friendlier, less insulting members that will help us out.
[/quote]

It's not that he doesn't like answering people's questions, it's when less experienced people start arguing with his answers and questioning his process.  Beside, Dude, nowhere in his comments did he mention YOU.   :-[
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 12:21:52 pm by Ranger Jim »
JIM CULP
OtP Jr. Slave Laborer (Safety)

No one is a TOTAL failure; they can always be used as a bad example.

Offline Grant

• HOTROD TRUCKS & BIKES
  • Bicycle
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 12666
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2017, 02:17:14 pm »
Helicoils are okay, but given this is aluminum, you may want to consider using a timesert: https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=time+sert&tag=mh0b-20&index=aps&hvadid=3482249406&hvqmt=p&hvbmt=bp&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_jyl8ka3y1_p

Good luck!
I have used these as well as Helicoils and they are great however they require a slightly larger hole than the Helicoil. The reason I bring up needing a slightly larger hole is the small area in the end of the fork tube and the holes proximity to other critical drilling's. The Timesert may or may not be a better choice based on this consideration.
2005 C10, 2016 C14 and a work in progress custom V-TWIN pro Street.

Online MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2017, 07:09:27 pm »
I'll try the thread insert.  Thanks to all for the input.  All except MOB, that is ("Some folks should never work on bikes.. I learn this more and more every day.")

My comment that irritated you was directed towards people saying use a nut on a longer bolt, or drilling out the existing threads, and using a bolt and nut.
It was NOT aimed at you.
You came here, and said what happened...
Then, you asked what is the BEST repair advice....
I gave, in my opinion, the best advice... if you don't like it, don't do it....  do what you please.

Anyone that would argue about something less than a properly installed thread insert, in my opinion again, is giving bandaid advice, not repair advice.

Realistically, who would you be more likely to pay for this repair...
A person that drills an oversize hole, slaps in a long bolt and nut....
Or someone that drills and taps, and installs a threaded insert, so you can safely use the correct bolt....?

I'm sure given enough time, someone will mention using JB Weld as a repair...   :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Best of luck, and ride safe.

Offline VTconnie

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 11081
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2017, 11:29:18 pm »
Whatever, it's not me trying to cob my fork back together. No $hit you can just install a time-sert, but that is it's own process and maybe this person wants to get their bike down the road. And installing a time-sert involves drilling the hole out wider anyway, including both pieces of the clamp. Strong threads, but weakens the material on the other part of the axle clamp.

<--2003 Concours C-10 "Conifer", -AKA- The Cruise Missile
1980 CB900C DOHC "Old Iron" -AKA- The Hill Climber                

Online MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2017, 03:13:57 am »
No need to drill both halves of the clamping section.
With the fork removed, or even just the wheel, the lower tube can be rotated and the correct hole can be drilled from front, into the section the insert goes into.
You can install the helicoil facing forward from the rear into the freshly tapped hole (helicoil taps are bottoming taps, so it will fully tap witout needing to modify the front half to clear) and then break off the tab from the rear, using a pin punch.. done deal.
The inserts I noted in my thread, with a link, are very low cost, I've used timeserts, and also keenserts, when the company is footing the bill, because both those systems are very expensive comparing to a simple helicoil.

Offline GeorgeRYoung

• Road Bike
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2017, 12:31:07 pm »
(In the interests of sport ;D)

If you look at the top triple clamp, you will see that the pinch bolts on either side are through bolts with a nut on the far end. If this practice is unacceptable to some, I guess you could thread the back half of the current clearance hole and stuff in a helicoil.

The lower triple clamp situation is more complex. The post '93 version is threaded for a bolt, but the pre-'94 ones use a through bolt and nut to pinch the tubes. So  it would appear even Ma Kawasaki vacillates.

Offline connie_rider

• OtP {assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • COG#: 4154
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2017, 12:53:03 pm »
No need to drill both halves of the clamping section.
With the fork removed, or even just the wheel, the lower tube can be rotated and the correct hole can be drilled from front, into the section the insert goes into.
You can install the helicoil facing forward from the rear into the freshly tapped hole (helicoil taps are bottoming taps, so it will fully tap without needing to modify the front half to clear) and then break off the tab from the rear, using a pin punch.. done deal.
The inserts I noted in my thread, with a link, are very low cost, I've used timeserts, and also keenserts, when the company is footing the bill, because both those systems are very expensive comparing to a simple helicoil.

Again: MOB is correct.
         Work only on the threaded side.
          Don't modify the unthreaded side in any way..

PS: Please don't tell anyone, I agreed with him again...    :-[

Ride safe, Ted
14 Connie (Traveler II)
03 Connie (Buddy)

To contribute to "OtP", (Chg. Card or paypal)  Click Here
(For Paypal) send to treasurer@cog-online.org

Offline Bob H

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 788
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2017, 05:02:19 pm »
It's not necessarily strength or stiffness that drives the decision to use threads directly in the material or a thru hole with a nut.  Both are legitimate designs, driven by other factors such as cost, available space, parts count reduction,  etc.  Changing from one to the other does not (always) compromise the integrity of the joint, and you will find both within the same machine.  In this case, it really would look bad particularly compared to the other side. 

I always dislike it when I find a PO has done a repair by non-standard methods, even though I've done it myself occasionally when I'm feeling cheap, quick, and dirty! :)
Remember, much of what you see on-line is wrong or misguided, your task is to filter that out!
 '88 one owner:
Bone stock...and proud of it!!

Offline JimBob

• Sport Tourer
  • Woman...WHOAAAA MAN!
  • AREA: Southwest Area
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2017, 07:17:19 pm »
Please, O Great and Wondroud MoB, why is is so bad to drill through to put a nut on the back side?