Author Topic: Front Wheel Assmebly Trouble  (Read 171 times)

Offline Eric

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Front Wheel Assmebly Trouble
« on: March 17, 2019, 06:53:33 am »
Hey everyone I’ve run into a problem as you can see.. (2:48am) i just changed my fork oil and repaired my crossover assembly tube on my 92 Connie and measured the forks at 20mm so my handle bar spacers will fit and i can screw my air pressure cap back on. And now I’m at the front wheel which came off fine, and i have the speedo drive in between it’s little notches and the collar on the right side. And i torqued down to 65ft/bs like the manual said and wheel tightens way up like it’s binding on something, I’ve looked at the all the diagrams and have the parts lined up right am i suppose to tighten on the axle nut side or the axle bolt? Pinch bolts tightened before or after? And how to make sure the speedo drive is hooked up correctly? Appreciate it guys.

Offline Stasch

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 6830
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: Front Wheel Assmebly Trouble
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2019, 10:27:57 am »
No brake calipers in the picture yet right?

There are two tabs on the speedo drive gear assembly that fit into 2 slots in the wheel.  These tabs are a softer metal and can get distorted if installed and torqued incorrectly.

There's usually grease in and around the slots, requiring a flashlight to determine their orientation during assembly.

These tabs have to be properly lined up to the engage the wheel slots, allowing the speedo drive to 'bottom out' into the wheel, so the assembled wheel is the proper width to fit between the fork tubes and accept the axle. 

Keeping the speedo drive bottomed out into the wheel with its inner tabs aligned AND its tab with the two left fork tube tabs AND aligning with fork tube axle holes to receive the axle is a bit of a trick.  Its a snug fit.  Brute forcing this assembly process can result in mangling those speedo drive tabs. 
Stan Visser - COG#: 6830 - - C10 Stuff For Sale - Parts List

He IS a racer, hence the forward lean!!  by: Mettler1

Offline Bob_C_CT

• Sport Tourer
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 9544
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2019, 12:38:28 pm »
Starch is probably on point with his suggestion. If I remember right speedo housing is on the left side (from riders perspective). You mentioned speedo on right side?

On the one fork That houses the axle nut I keep the axle pinch bolts tightened to help hold the nut in place while loosening axle bolt.
Tighten axle bolt to spec then tighten the axle pinch bolts.
97 C10,ZRX Front, Meanstreak rim

Offline Eric

• Training Wheels
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2019, 02:26:58 pm »
Okay appreciate it will check that out I’m pretty sure I’m bottoming out the speedo drive, should i spin freely? Or be kind of in a locked position when it’s bottomed out? And i saw a few methods like where i tighten town the axle and everything and loosen the pinch bolts and compress the forks to align the forks? Would i need to do this on mine as well? And when everything is installed there is like a little maybe 1mm gap between the speedodrive and axle nut, which i think just nut pushing on the drive?

Offline Stasch

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 02:33:56 pm »
Okay appreciate it will check that out I’m pretty sure I’m bottoming out the speedo drive, should i spin freely?

Yes.

Or be kind of in a locked position when it’s bottomed out?

No.

And i saw a few methods like where i tighten town the axle and everything and loosen the pinch bolts and compress the forks to align the forks? Would i need to do this on mine as well?

Yes, but not until you get a freely spinning front wheel.

And when everything is installed there is like a little maybe 1mm gap between the speedodrive and axle nut, which i think just nut pushing on the drive?

I can't visualize this, a pic would be very helpful.  Which year C10 do you have?

Offline WillyP

• I Need a Life
  • Live Free Or Die
    • Suncook Carpentry
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 8799
« Reply #5 on: Yesterday at 06:14:00 pm »
I agree it's most likley the speedo drive, but there is also a spacer between the two wheel bearing, if that isn't there I would imagine that could cause the wheel to not spin freely also.

Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.
pics

Offline Eric

• Training Wheels
« Reply #6 on: Yesterday at 06:21:29 pm »
Yeah that description is best with a picture but I'm pretty sure i got it, what happened with the first time I just threw everything back up there and bent up the little brass piece that hooks to the wheel and speedo drive ill attach a pic, filed it back smooth was a little bent out, so took some channel locks and got it pretty good again. The wheel went on fine and spun freely so was a success, but I will probaly replace that brass piece, it was just a real nice day so I wanted to ride. Whats the part number on that thing? And if you know where I can get a used/new one? Really a big help guys thanks!

Pic https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0r26J4OqxeheC00eUZyVFZXa1BjZ3g3R05PTkw1RjBLX1Vr

Offline Stasch

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #7 on: Yesterday at 06:38:45 pm »
Bikebandit, Partszilla or your dealer can order one.  They are $8 or $9 plus shipping.

From your pic it looks like you got it reshaped pretty well.   If it were me, I wouldn't bother replacing it since the wheel is spinning freely.

Offline RWulf

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 7122
« Reply #8 on: Yesterday at 11:30:26 pm »
I agree with that "Stasch" guy. To me it looks good as new. It's not a high load part
so I would use it.