Author Topic: fuel (petcock) question  (Read 474 times)

Offline TNConnieRider

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 12722
  • Membership Level: Active
fuel (petcock) question
« on: February 22, 2018, 09:43:16 pm »
Riding with my son a few days ago and we switched biked for a few miles and while he was riding (straight highway at 65 mph) if sputtered as if running out of fuel. Gauge says 1/2 full and he flipped to reserve out of instinct yet still had to pull to side of road. I hopped on and it fired right back up and had no more issues and ran as always.
Here are the questions. #1-what caused the "what felt like lack of fuel" and #2, I was prompted to inspect the petcock and noticed something I had not seen before. My PRIME position actually says OFF. Manual images and everything else in know shows this as PRIME. My guess is that the previous owner changed out petcock so now, I have to test flow to see if OFF is actually still PRIME or not.

:??:
Honda MiniTrail 50, Yamaha GT 80, Suzuki TC 100, Yamaha DT 125, Kawasaki KZ 400 Ltd   Kawasaki KX 125, Suzuki RM250, Kawasaki ZX600,Kawasaki Concours C10 (#1) Suzuki Boulevard C50,Kawasaki Concours C10 (#2)

Offline Nosmo

• Crotch Rocket
  • "We're all in this together" -- Red Green
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: fuel (petcock) question
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2018, 12:11:20 am »
Riding with my son a few days ago and we switched biked for a few miles and while he was riding (straight highway at 65 mph) if sputtered as if running out of fuel. Gauge says 1/2 full and he flipped to reserve out of instinct yet still had to pull to side of road. I hopped on and it fired right back up and had no more issues and ran as always.
Here are the questions. #1-what caused the "what felt like lack of fuel" and #2, I was prompted to inspect the petcock and noticed something I had not seen before. My PRIME position actually says OFF. Manual images and everything else in know shows this as PRIME. My guess is that the previous owner changed out petcock so now, I have to test flow to see if OFF is actually still PRIME or not.

Sounds like you have a petcock with a "manual conversion kit" installed.  Dan Bergmen designed one several years ago and Murph sold them.  I had one for several years before I got tired of the whole Kawasaki thing and replaced it with a Pingel.  Murph sells a kit now, but I don't know who makes it.  It has a different control lever than the one Bergmen designed, which used the original lever, just rotated 180* to give you ON, RESERVE and OFF.  It got rid of the vacuum actuation feature.  Here's Murph's website, www.murphslits.com, you can find a picture there.  Yours may be something else.

https://www.murphskits.com/product_info.php?cPath=1_94&products_id=483

2003 Connie    2007 Wee-Strom   

"What could possibly go wrong...click....go wrong...click...go wrong...click...go wrong..."

Offline klr4evr

• Tricycle
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2018, 12:59:36 am »
@Nosmo - Is the Pingel valve “plug & play”? Have any part numbers?
"It's a friggen motorcycle, it's not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s*** your pants every now and then. "

Offline DC Concours

• Sport Tourer
  • 2001 Concours, ~19K miles
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2018, 01:48:17 am »
pingel # 4211-CG ?

I think you need an adapter. someone will chime in.

stick with OEM. they work well. get overflow tubes and you are well covered.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 03:27:57 am by DC Concours »

Offline Locomotiveman

• Road Bike
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 12297
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2018, 01:54:22 am »
Yes. Adapter needed. AND a reaming out of a larger Diameter hole in the tank itself. Easy but necessary.
If the TRUTH is crystal clear..I must need glasses.

Offline JPD

• Bicycle
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 12064
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2018, 03:23:26 am »
My vulcan 750 doesn't have a prime position. It has off. You could have one of them. Looks the same and uses all the same seals and o-ring as every other Kawasaki.

Offline Nosmo

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2018, 03:58:07 am »
Yes. Adapter needed. AND a reaming out of a larger Diameter hole in the tank itself. Easy but necessary.

Yes, that's correct. It doesn't take long and you end up with a CHROME PLATED fuel valve, that has a very good, very fine stainless steel mesh screen.

You can find the valve and the adapter plate on their website, call them if you have questions, they are very helpful.  SPENDY, but then.....IT'S CHROME PLATED.  I beieve they also have vacuum operated valves that work, on our bikes, but I won't swear to it.

http://www.pingelonline.com/prodcat/fuel-valves.asp

"What could possibly go wrong...click....go wrong...click...go wrong...click...go wrong..."

Offline TNConnieRider

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 12722
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2018, 12:09:29 pm »

Nosmo,
That's it!  Thanks. Bike was owned at one point by a COG member and finding lots of little mods here and there.

Sounds like you have a petcock with a "manual conversion kit" installed.  Dan Bergmen designed one several years ago and Murph sold them.  I had one for several years before I got tired of the whole Kawasaki thing and replaced it with a Pingel.  Murph sells a kit now, but I don't know who makes it.  It has a different control lever than the one Bergmen designed, which used the original lever, just rotated 180* to give you ON, RESERVE and OFF.  It got rid of the vacuum actuation feature.  Here's Murph's website, www.murphslits.com, you can find a picture there.  Yours may be something else.

https://www.murphskits.com/product_info.php?cPath=1_94&products_id=483
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 12:13:17 pm by TNConnieRider »
Honda MiniTrail 50, Yamaha GT 80, Suzuki TC 100, Yamaha DT 125, Kawasaki KZ 400 Ltd   Kawasaki KX 125, Suzuki RM250, Kawasaki ZX600,Kawasaki Concours C10 (#1) Suzuki Boulevard C50,Kawasaki Concours C10 (#2)

Offline kkja13

• Mini Bike
  • Tyler, TX
  • AREA: South Central Area
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2018, 03:03:10 pm »
If you are running a fuel valve without vacuum then it is entirely up to you to prevent hydro lock if your carb float valves go bad.  Just a thought...
2004 C10
2003 Suzuki SV650s
2000 Kawasaki Eliminator 125 (75mpg!)
1993 Suzuki DR350; 1984 Honda XR200R (RFVC); 1985 Yamaha PW80; 1975 Yamaha DT175;
1974 Honda ST90; 1973 Honda Z50 (first bike, still runs)

Offline Nosmo

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2018, 03:34:43 pm »
If you are running a fuel valve without vacuum then it is entirely up to you to prevent hydro lock if your carb float valves go bad.  Just a thought...

True, that's why you absolutely MUST have the float bowl drain tubes.