Author Topic: Fuel tank cleaning  (Read 2823 times)

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5977
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: Fuel tank cleaning
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2017, 09:30:21 pm »
Just wondering if anyone has used white vinegar to clean a tank. My tank is not that bad, but thought this might be a cheap way to get it nice and shiny again.
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=vinegar+remove+rust

Don't even think it iwll work, use the vinager on salad... a rusty tank needs much more than that... and I've done a lot of tanks..
And yes, I've seen every video on youtube using every juice and magic treatment, and short of the electrolysis method, or the POR 15 zinc prep, nothing comes close to being viable.

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline drumstyx

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 12290
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2017, 09:56:18 pm »
None of those pictures indicate a particularly bad rust problem as far as I can see... am I missing something? A wee bit of rust just use a filter. If it's more than that -- in the USA get something with phosphoric acid, then line the tank. Here in Canada unfortunately it's a much more expensive problem.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2017, 10:05:45 pm »
I'm just gonna say this once...
Don't pour acids of any kind in your tank... you have no clue as to where or what its doing when its doing its thing... and as for neutralizing it, FULLY, afterwards, the same thing...
Rust in crevices will retain the acid, and flushing won't get it all out... maybe a power washer might, but then you have a tank, with water, and rust, sitting once again...
The bottom corners collect everything... and in time, will rust out again, unless treated with a zinc phosphate prep, and coating.   

Offline Bob H

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 788
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2017, 11:10:06 pm »
Acids are indeed a serious risk to gas tanks, with one notable exception; phosphoric acid.  It's the best treatment I've found for any degree of rust in a motorcycle gas tank.  It's reasonably fast, compared to the chelation treatments such as Evaporust, or Metal Rescue.  These are even safer, but too slow for my taste on anything but surface rust. 

Phosphoric acid won't harm your good steel unless you leave it in for days and days.  It won't even hurt your paint if you are even remotely careful with it.  When you are done, you have no toxic materials to dispose of, just phosphorus and iron, both fertilizers.

DO NOT expose your fuel valve to it, or anything made of aluminum or zinc! (I dissolved a petcock into mush once!  :()

It removes any degree of rust, and leaves a residue of iron phosphate which helps slow down new rusting.  it is easy to find, most farm supply stores have it labeled as milk residue remover.  You can dilute the typical gallon of it by 50% which comes to about $8.00 per gallon.  I typically clean many tanks with one batch, using the same over and over.

As with all water based cleaners, you must be diligent in rinsing out the tank afterword, and getting it absolutely dry before putting the tank back in service.   
Remember, much of what you see on-line is wrong or misguided, your task is to filter that out!
 '88 one owner:
Bone stock...and proud of it!!

Offline drumstyx

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 12290
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2017, 12:25:57 am »
I ended up using Metal Rescue on my CB750 tank in Canada. Phosphoric acid is very difficult to find here, and where you can find it (in rust remover gels) it's even more expensive than the $31/gallon Metal Rescue. Metal Rescue did a better job than the muriatic acid I tried ever did, and the same company had dry coat rust preventative to stop future rusting while the tank sits dry/gets dents removed/gets painted.

Offline racer1735

• Tricycle
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2017, 12:29:38 am »
I recently did the same project. I started by finding a few times with OxyClean, then followed with EvapoRust. As for rinsing, I used water and it takes quite a bit of tilting and jostling the tank to get all the fluid out. Patience.

Offline Bob H

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 788
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2017, 12:54:31 am »
Hydrochloric (muriatic) acid is one of the most dangerous for tanks as it attacks the good steel, trying to eat holes in an otherwise sound tank!  It is also nearly impossible to remove completely, and will continue trying to eat holes in your good tank forever! 

It leaves the surface very active, looking for any excuse to continue rusting.  On top of that, it will attack your paint, your clothing, and anything else it gets on!  It is fast but nasty stuff.  People still use it, but I don't recommend it, especially if you plan to keep your bike any length of time!
Remember, much of what you see on-line is wrong or misguided, your task is to filter that out!
 '88 one owner:
Bone stock...and proud of it!!

Offline tbharker

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Southwest Area
« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2019, 02:22:13 am »
Acids are indeed a serious risk to gas tanks, with one notable exception; phosphoric acid.  It's the best treatment I've found for any degree of rust in a motorcycle gas tank.  It's reasonably fast, compared to the chelation treatments such as Evaporust, or Metal Rescue.  These are even safer, but too slow for my taste on anything but surface rust. 

Phosphoric acid won't harm your good steel unless you leave it in for days and days.  It won't even hurt your paint if you are even remotely careful with it.  When you are done, you have no toxic materials to dispose of, just phosphorus and iron, both fertilizers.

DO NOT expose your fuel valve to it, or anything made of aluminum or zinc! (I dissolved a petcock into mush once!  :()

It removes any degree of rust, and leaves a residue of iron phosphate which helps slow down new rusting.  it is easy to find, most farm supply stores have it labeled as milk residue remover.  You can dilute the typical gallon of it by 50% which comes to about $8.00 per gallon.  I typically clean many tanks with one batch, using the same over and over.

As with all water based cleaners, you must be diligent in rinsing out the tank afterword, and getting it absolutely dry before putting the tank back in service.

Thanks for the tip!
1986 Concours C10 / ZG1000 since 2011

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2019, 03:09:47 am »
this stuff is the shizznit....

the whole system works, but for rust abatement, and prep... nothing better... and, once used, pour it back in the container, and use it over and over again, for years...

https://www.por15.com/POR-15-Metal-Prep

:great: :great: :great: :great: :great: :great:

Offline Kelly E

• Geriatric Hooligan
  • Mini Bike
  • AREA: Northwest Area
« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2019, 03:22:24 am »
I use EvapoRust, then dump it back in the jug when done. Then I rinse with diesel a few times, when just diesel comes back out it is done. The diesel leaves a nice oily film on the tank so no rust and fill it with gas with no worries. Last week I derusted a 73' Honda CB500 Four tank with original Candy Gold paint without any harm to the paint. The tank is spotless inside now to go with the rebuilt carbs, new petcock and fuel lines. Can't take any chances on screwing up this vintage stuff.
1994 Kawasaki ZG1000A-The Long Rider
1984 Honda VF700S Sabre-The Bike
1986 Honda CB700SC Nighthawk S The Hooligan Bike
1974 Honda CB550 K0