Author Topic: Gas smell - NOT a hydrolock thread  (Read 862 times)

Offline beaucephus

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 12214
  • Membership Level: Active
Gas smell - NOT a hydrolock thread
« on: January 22, 2018, 08:42:54 pm »
Hey folks, I'm getting some fumes smell that seems worse than it should be, and more than I remember.  No puddles or leaks.  Overflow tubes installed.  I checked the cap, and it doesn't seem to be sealing well enough (rubber is wet outside the mating surface).  I can't find the rubber gasket available separate from the entire cap assembly, or I would have replaced it already.  I'm here to ask, should my garage smell like gas the whole day after a ride?  Any tips for sealing that cap?  I'm aware it vents.

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Sport Tourer
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: Gas smell - NOT a hydrolock thread
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2018, 09:26:30 pm »
One procedure I have seen  done to stop the fuel from dripping out the over tubes or just ventong air from just riding around is to bring all four tubes into one tube and then put a loop in the end and put a little oil in the loop. It won't effect the how the tube function but it might help with fumes.
Normally aspirated engines have perpetual turbo lag
2000 Red C10 1052 kit
2008  C14 Silver Dammit Full AreaP- Flies are put back in SISF_Flash
2011  KLR650   688 piston ported and polished
2011  KTM 530    This thing is FUN!!

Offline Mcfly

• --2006 Concours--
  • Iron Butt
  • What've I done!?
  • COG#: 9921
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2018, 12:30:38 am »
Overflow tubes allow more air into the bowls, combined with the OEM vents, it will likely
evaporate fuel faster, hence stinky gas fumes.  Add the gas tank sitting above a hot engine
and venting, there's fumes, that's for sure.

I run a fan (18") over the bike for 15 minutes or so when I get home from a ride.  Seems to help.
I could just be kidding myself.

Performance -- Rear: C14 Shock - Front: Sonic 1.1 w/emulators - SISF Jet Mod & Ex Cam Sprocket - Tokico front brakes
Comfort -- Russell Day Long - Madstad - Cruise Control

FL/SE Assistant Area Director

Offline beaucephus

• Road Bike
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2018, 10:38:32 pm »
I picked up another clue.  I've got a stuck float or something.  I'm getting fuel out of the overflow tubes in a noticeable fasion. 

Offline strum

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 12307
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2018, 03:10:37 am »
I picked up another clue.  I've got a stuck float or something.  I'm getting fuel out of the overflow tubes in a noticeable fasion.

this may be a case then of you're tubes doing what they are intended to do which is save you from a hydrolock.  I know I said the H word sorry :truce:
2008 C-14
Measurement is the first step that leads to control and eventually to improvement.
If you can't measure something, you can't understand it.
If you can't understand it, you can't control it.
If you can't control it, you can't improve it."

Offline TimR

• Global Moderator
  • Iron Butt
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 9032
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2018, 10:28:00 am »

It would appear you have a two part problem. One your petcock is leaking when it's supposed to be off. Two a float needle is leaking. First I would repair/replace the petcock. That should slow the gas smell down and give you a little time for further trouble shooting.

My 900 did the same thing and made the garage smell of gas.  I found I had a broken float leg after replacing needle and seat. Granted VM 28's are not the same as a Connie carb but that was my issue. I ended up replacing the carb rack. I then replaced the petcock because it leaked too. No more gas smell even with the 900 and C14 in the garage.   :) Yeah... Tim 

Blue 1975 Z1B 900, Red 09 C14     I might not be perfect but at least I don't ride a Suzuki

Offline Mcfly

• --2006 Concours--
  • Iron Butt
  • What've I done!?
  • COG#: 9921
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2018, 10:27:59 pm »

Overflow tubes to the rescue!  It could've been a hydro lock thread!  ;)

Like TimR said... petcock needs attention.  Stuck valve may loosen up with
a few reasonable taps with a hammer wood handle.
Performance -- Rear: C14 Shock - Front: Sonic 1.1 w/emulators - SISF Jet Mod & Ex Cam Sprocket - Tokico front brakes
Comfort -- Russell Day Long - Madstad - Cruise Control

FL/SE Assistant Area Director

Offline beaucephus

• Road Bike
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2018, 11:59:14 pm »
I think the original issue was normal evaporation from the overflow tubes being more than I was used to.  The new issue was acute.  The petcock was shutting off fine, but I had a massive flake of paint or something holding #4 needle open.   Almost another hydrolock thread, but I think my question has been answered that the extra fumes are normal. 

Offline SteveJ.

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5603
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2018, 04:22:59 am »
Do put a low loop in the drain tube and put some oil in it to block the flow. Aside from the gas stink, all of that fuel evaporating all the time can leave a bit of film behind and may eventually block some small holes.
Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SiSF)
Steve J  Tavares, FL, one of the Floriduh Steves
'15 Versys650LT, '98 KLR650, (back home), '99 C-10, 234k miles sold
IBA 19221

Offline beaucephus

• Road Bike
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2018, 02:11:15 pm »
Do put a low loop in the drain tube and put some oil in it to block the flow. Aside from the gas stink, all of that fuel evaporating all the time can leave a bit of film behind and may eventually block some small holes.

Good advice there.  I wouldn't have thought of a U trap.  Thanks everybody. 

Online connie_rider

• "OtP" {retired/assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 4154
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2018, 03:58:56 pm »
 beaucephus, does you garage have a gas water heater in it?
   If yes,, be very carful!

Ride safe, Ted
14 Connie (Traveler II) / 03 Connie (Buddy)
Gone but not forgotten; 87 and 00 Connies..

If your not already a COGger, "consider becoming one".
Help us make "OtP" possible again, DO IT NOW!!

Offline strum

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 12307
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2018, 01:58:39 am »
beaucephus, does you garage have a gas water heater in it?
   If yes,, be very carful!

Ride safe, Ted

This is why gas water heaters should be 18" or more off the floor. Those fumes usually stay down low.
  I know thread hijack but i couldn't help my self.
2008 C-14
Measurement is the first step that leads to control and eventually to improvement.
If you can't measure something, you can't understand it.
If you can't understand it, you can't control it.
If you can't control it, you can't improve it."

Offline TimR

• Global Moderator
  • Iron Butt
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2018, 06:00:29 am »
I think the original issue was normal evaporation from the overflow tubes being more than I was used to.  The new issue was acute.  The petcock was shutting off fine, but I had a massive flake of paint or something holding #4 needle open.   Almost another hydrolock thread, but I think my question has been answered that the extra fumes are normal.

The extra fumes are not normal! Especially this time of the year. You might think your petcock is holding but the overflow tubes only flow when the gas level gets too high. And it won't get to high by it's self. Adding the overflow tubes hardly increases the carb vent area enough to suddenly smell gas in the carbs.

Drain the carbs and see what happens. All I know is when I got gas to stop leaking out of the 900's B carb over flow tube, I was Happy.  ;) No more gas smell.  My garage doors have been closed for over 24 hours. I have a pretty tight garage with an insulated garage door. That way if I want to do some work in the garage on a cold day I can throw some heat in there and make it T shirt weather.  Tim   
Blue 1975 Z1B 900, Red 09 C14     I might not be perfect but at least I don't ride a Suzuki

Offline beaucephus

• Road Bike
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2018, 12:13:18 am »
Carbs were drained to when I R&R'ed the carbs to clear the float needle. Had some water in one of the bowls.  Petcock held fine when the tank was removed while doing the work.  There are zero fumes if bike hasn't been ridden that day.  I haven't  ridden much since to see if the post-ride fumes have improved.

Offline TimR

• Global Moderator
  • Iron Butt
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2018, 08:28:54 pm »
You might have solved the problem with the sticky float and paint chip. My 900 got to smelling like gas so much that I had to (gasp) wash the darn thing to get rid of smell. In some cases a wash still didn't always work. I was told the bike would pee gas when turning left.

Good catch on the water in the bowl.