Author Topic: Gas tank leak! HELP  (Read 2237 times)

Offline Steve_Cramer_GA

• Bicycle
    • savvypaddler.com
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 8200
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
Gas tank leak! HELP
« on: May 19, 2008, 01:29:00 pm »
I had just gotten home from a ride. Filled the tank about 40 miles out, so it had 6+gallons on board. The last couple of miles I was smelling a little gas. When I got home, I saw gas squirting out from under the tank just behind the petcock. And onto the engine and pipes. Pulled the tank off in a hurry, and drained it into a can. Do you know how long it takes 6+ gallons to drain through a 1/4" hose?    So now I've got two holes along the inner tank seam, each about 3mm x 1mm. See pic at http://www.savvypaddler.com/Images/T_tankholes.jpg. Can these be patched? Lined? Good ideas welcomed.    Thanks,  Steve  
2000 C10, 2000 ZRX1100, CDA0297

Offline smithr1

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 6197
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
Gas tank leak! HELP
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2008, 01:46:00 pm »
Yes :)    It can be patched and lined.  I would do both.  I know Por15 is popular and would do the job if the holes are really small but most times they are bigger then you think once you start cleaning it up.  I hope others will have more better help.  I have never had to do the job.    <p align="left">My Photos

</p>    
---
Bob Smith (smithr)
Austin, Texas baby!
2010 Kawasaki Concours, Midnight Blue
COG 6197, CDA 107

Online crag antler

• Mini Bike
  • COG#: 8277
  • Membership Level: Active
Gas tank leak! HELP
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2008, 08:45:00 pm »
I had some holes identical to that show up on mine last fall and like stated they got larger when I started cleaning out the rust.  My option was to buy a "new" tank. Could have gotten a brand new tank for around $320 but foune one on ebay and POR15 it. Sealed perfectly and works great.  Good luck.  
Doug aka crag antler
00 Kawasaki Concours 60,000+ miles. Bar risers, Murphs kneesavers, blockoff plates, allen head screw set,headlight upgrade. LED headlight, driving lights, JC Whitney trunk, Go Pro mount,’06 header w/Jet-Hot ceramic coating, over flow tubes and Performance Exhaust Sprocket by SISF

Offline Colin

• Crotch Rocket
  • I'd rather be riding!
    • Facebook
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Gas tank leak! HELP
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2008, 09:15:00 pm »
+1 on POR15, Murph also sells a good competitive product. In either case clean out the rust in you tank by treading a bunch of washers and nuts on a string keep hold of one end and shake it about inside the tank and they will knock all the loose rust off.
Colin Prior

Offline Steve_Cramer_GA

• Bicycle
    • savvypaddler.com
  • COG#: 8200
Gas tank leak! HELP
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2008, 12:35:00 pm »
Thanks for the info. The bike had been sitting for about 6 months when I bought it, so probably had condensation, which ended up as water (+ steel = rust) at the lower edges. I'll try to fix it. Hope it stays fixed.    Steve  
2000 C10, 2000 ZRX1100, CDA0297

Offline nsmisner

• Tricycle
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 7426
Gas tank leak! HELP
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2008, 06:44:00 pm »
I had a very slow leak at the fron left side of the tank.  It seamed to be coming right through the welded seam.  There were no obvious holes like you have.  I used Murph's KBS kit.  The kit has a fabric you can use to seal a largish hole.  The hardest part is draining the tank after each step.  It has only been 2 weeks, but the leak is gone for now.  
2010 Cruise, StarCom, Zumo660, risers & wedges, CeeBailey XtraTall, Projekt D sliders
2002 Concours(sold) - my first bike