Author Topic: Gas tank leaks from gas cap when tipped on side? California model  (Read 379 times)

Offline The ice man

• Bicycle
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 12605
  • Membership Level: Active
My gas cap leaks when tank is tipped on side? I Looked at the locking gas cap. I don't see anything obviously wrong with it? I would think it is not supposed to leak if the bike is dropped ? But it would leak if you tip it over? This bike is a California model I don't know if that has anything to do with it or not? Do they all leak if tipped over or is something wrong with my bike? Could this start a fire? I don't see anything in the service manual about this?

Offline cra-z1000

• Crotch Rocket
  • Keeping it upright..
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 9790
Re: Gas tank leaks from gas cap when tipped on side? California model
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2017, 08:59:48 pm »
Using the side or centerstand will prevent this... :)) . Pretty sure they all will leak a bit if tipped .
1987 C 10
80 Kawasaki KZ 1000 MK 2
74 Honda 750 four ss
73 Suzuki 550 triple
72 Honda 550 four

Offline jettawreck

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2017, 09:52:48 pm »
Perhaps someone did as I had done to my 2005, removed the vent check valve in the cap. Never had an issue with it leaking even though I always filled it to the top of the neck (and then drove it home or somewhere) but then I never had it on its side either. It did solve the irritating "whistle" from the cap as temperature changed/increased.
Snowmobiles, I have a bunch.
Motorcycles-I haven't had anything except dirtbikes 30 years ago, so this will be all new to me.
2005 C10 with Rifle w/s, SISF Exhaust sprocket, overflow tubes, 2 minute jet mod. (SOLD)
2004 Honda ST1300-the current mule.

Offline The ice man

• Bicycle
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 12605
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2017, 09:33:21 pm »
If gas can leak out, could water leak in? If you wash the bike or if you get caught in the rain?

Online MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2017, 09:48:26 pm »
If gas can leak out, could water leak in? If you wash the bike or if you get caught in the rain?

It should not leak. And Yes, water can get in if its a leaker...
If the tank is hot, and pressurized, and you spray cold water directly on top by the filler cap, or if you have a torrential rain when the tank was hot, it will suck water from the "recess" that surrounds the cap seal, when closed, thru the venting hole. That vent can be seen a a small nipple under the cap, that seals against the closed cap when shut, should be a seal there.

There is also a drain for that area, that attaches to the overf,ow hose, that runs down and back, and ter.knates at the rear by the axle... make sure that pathway is clear by blowing it out wjth pressjrized air, from the top hole in the recess..yo may have to remove the gascap bezel to actually see it, and when you do, when you reattach the bezel, leave out that single screw that lives under there, that prevents the cap assembly from being removed.. its a pre emtive strike, s you can remove a corroded and stuck fuel cap in the future, by simply remving the external screws on the bezel.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 10:08:25 pm by MAN OF BLUES »

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW