Author Topic: gasket falls in gas tank  (Read 1415 times)

Offline Nomad 541

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 8507
  • Membership Level: Active
gasket falls in gas tank
« on: October 31, 2014, 01:40:02 am »
Hi.  I was winterizing my 2005Concours and had just opened up the gas cap and was taking the cap off the gas stabilizer and the 1/2 - 3/4 inch size paper gasket fell into tank. There is about 2 gallons of fuel left in tank. The gasket appeared to fall to the right side of tank opposite side of fuel tap. Does anyone have any experience with this and should I do whatever is needed to retrieve the gasket from the tank or will it disolve in gas tank over the winter?
Thanks

Offline 2fast

• Crotch Rocket
  • Red hair & black leather, my favorite color scheme
    • ZG Heat Shields
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: gasket falls in gas tank
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2014, 02:23:36 am »
Well, its not going to dissolve. Honestly, I would not worry about trying to get it out. Not likely to cause any issues.
Brian in Minnesota

Offline jettawreck

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2014, 06:58:21 pm »
Yeah, I wouldn't worry much about it either. I've had a small piece (4-6") of a tree branch/stick in the tank of my snowmobile since it was almost new (2007) and even though its fuel injected with an in tank fuel pump, it hasn't been a problem-yet.
Long story about how that got in there...... :-[
Snowmobiles, I have a bunch.
Motorcycles-I haven't had anything except dirtbikes 30 years ago, so this will be all new to me.
2005 C10 with Rifle w/s, SISF Exhaust sprocket, overflow tubes, 2 minute jet mod. (SOLD)
2004 Honda ST1300-the current mule.

Offline Nosmo

• Sport Tourer
  • "We're all in this together" -- Red Green
  • AREA: Northwest Area
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2014, 01:27:56 am »
Yeah, I wouldn't worry much about it either. I've had a small piece (4-6") of a tree branch/stick in the tank of my snowmobile since it was almost new (2007) and even though its fuel injected with an in tank fuel pump, it hasn't been a problem-yet.

We got time........
2003 Connie    2007 Wee-Strom   

"What could possibly go wrong...click....go wrong...click...go wrong...click...go wrong..."

Offline jettawreck

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2014, 01:24:48 pm »

We got time........

Well, since you asked....
In the winter we often go to Ontario ice fishing, mostly lake trout. My snowmobile for that sort of thing was a '94 Polaris XLT SKS (long tracked 580 triple cylinder ). It was well used, but dependable and worked great for this sort of off trail beating and lots of gear hauling the 10 miles into the "cabin".
Eventually I felt a need to upgrade for trail riding and "keeping up with the boys", so I bought a brand new 2007 Ski Doo 600 SDI Renegade (fuel injected twin cylinder, latest technology of the time). It was never going to go up north and get beat up, etc... Next trip to Canada and the buddy wants to bring his two boys, but one of their sleds in broke down. No problem, he can drive the Polaris and I'll bring the new Renegade and be real careful and not have to pull anything since it has no tow hitch. Plus, since its so good on gas, I won't have to bring an extra 6 gallons along.
Forward a couple days into the trip, and the fuel gauge on the Ski Doo Rev chassis sleds is notorious for being as inaccurate as a C10. Actually no accuracy, as it is usually stuck in whatever level it feels like. So, curiousity is getting the best of me, plus looking forward to gloating as to how little fuel I was using compared to the rest of the guys. Enter the little tree branch into the picture to use as a "dipstick", the only truly reliable method-right?? The filler neck is shaped about like a "P-trap" under a sink. Got the makeshift "dipstick" about a foot into the tank and SNAP-in it goes.  :-\
A chorus of laughter erupts from the guys as they all just turn and go back to warming themselves by the fire. Trying not to look overly concerned, I pulled out my Yukon Jack bottle, took a good swallow and put the gas cap back on and never looked back nor have I ever tried to retrieve it since.
Hope there is a screen in the tank around the fuel pump.
It wasn't until a year later in the UP of MI that I found out how far it will go on a tank of fuel. It was a real dark night, lots of wolf tracks, and not a soul on the trails, at least none that stopped to check on why a couple guys were out walking in the middle of nowhere at midnight Christmas eve. All three of us riding together ran out of fuel that night on similar sleds within about a ten mile stretch (go figure-huh?). ???
Learned what the predicable range was anyways and no one lost any extremities to critters or frostbite.
Snowmobiles, I have a bunch.
Motorcycles-I haven't had anything except dirtbikes 30 years ago, so this will be all new to me.
2005 C10 with Rifle w/s, SISF Exhaust sprocket, overflow tubes, 2 minute jet mod. (SOLD)
2004 Honda ST1300-the current mule.