Author Topic: Getting rid of "the buzz"  (Read 13756 times)

Offline WillyP

• I Need a Life
  • Live Free Or Die
    • Suncook Carpentry
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 8799
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: Getting rid of "the buzz"
« Reply #75 on: October 25, 2014, 10:27:06 pm »
The point is to apply some tension on the cables and linkage parts.
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.
pics

Offline Scott

• Tricycle
  • COG#: 11703
« Reply #76 on: October 27, 2014, 05:15:58 pm »
Thanks Turbojoe. Will do next time I open the plastics again. Riding season nearing the end in Norwell? I hope not! Still holding out in Wakefield!

Offline turbojoe78_MA

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 8645
« Reply #77 on: October 28, 2014, 11:31:34 am »
Thanks Turbojoe. Will do next time I open the plastics again. Riding season nearing the end in Norwell? I hope not! Still holding out in Wakefield!

I have been putting the bike away after thanksgiving the last few years, we'll see how the weather looks around that time.
1968 Honda 160 Scrambler,  Sold / 1979 Kawasaki SR 650, Traded in for next one,  1978 Kawasaki KZ 1000 Z1R Turbo Sold / 1986 Kawasaki ZX 1000R Ninja Sold / 1999 Kawasaki Concours Sold / 2014 Kawasaki Concours

Offline Scott

• Tricycle
  • COG#: 11703
« Reply #78 on: October 28, 2014, 09:22:56 pm »
Not to rob this thread but does anyone know what size the upper engine mount bolts are?

Offline turbojoe78_MA

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 8645
« Reply #79 on: October 29, 2014, 01:18:11 pm »
1968 Honda 160 Scrambler,  Sold / 1979 Kawasaki SR 650, Traded in for next one,  1978 Kawasaki KZ 1000 Z1R Turbo Sold / 1986 Kawasaki ZX 1000R Ninja Sold / 1999 Kawasaki Concours Sold / 2014 Kawasaki Concours

Offline Larry_Buck_FL

• Industry Member
  • Road Bike
    • Buck Sport Touring
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 3451
  • Membership Level: Event Host
« Reply #80 on: October 29, 2014, 02:58:29 pm »
Winter is coming for many of you and it would be a great time to shim the upper bolt(s). Just sayin.
Larry Buck - COG 3451, Retired SE-AD, now SE-AAD, Ex - Concourier C-10 Tech Editor, COG National Safety Officer, IBA 5581, MSF-Rider Coach, Forum moderator.

Buck Sport Touring-"Ride Far" www.bucksporttouring.com

Offline Jim

• Street Cruiser
  • Jim
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #81 on: October 29, 2014, 04:42:14 pm »
Jorge,
My experience is there is a significant difference between syncing at idle and 4K.  #1 and #4 are much higher on my homemade manometer.  In fact, #1 and #4 are just about to suck the ATF out of my tube at idle.  At 4K they are dead even.  I suspect this has something to do with the throttle linkage flexing because of spring tension.  Granted, at 4K under load my setup may not be close, either.

Offline JimBob

• Sport Tourer
  • Woman...WHOAAAA MAN!
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #82 on: October 31, 2014, 01:54:53 pm »
Jorge,
My experience is there is a significant difference between syncing at idle and 4K.  #1 and #4 are much higher on my homemade manometer.  In fact, #1 and #4 are just about to suck the ATF out of my tube at idle.  At 4K they are dead even.  I suspect this has something to do with the throttle linkage flexing because of spring tension.  Granted, at 4K under load my setup may not be close, either.

I'd be more inclined to think greater vacuum at idle is caused by better compression on #1 and #4...which could be balanced as simply as doing a valve adjustment!

(Of course, valve adjustment may not resolve it, but assuming the rings are good, you could see a LOT of vacuum difference from one cylinder to another based on valve adjustment, as demonstrated in Steve's latest video).

Offline Pbfoot

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 10807
« Reply #83 on: October 31, 2014, 02:15:13 pm »
Foam grips .
If you don't have time to do it right, when do you have time to do it over.                                                                17" wheels, Nissin 4 piston calipers.1kg Sonic Springs.Cartridge Fork Emulators. KB Brace. Galfer brake lines  Free power mod.

Offline JimBob

• Sport Tourer
  • Woman...WHOAAAA MAN!
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #84 on: October 31, 2014, 05:54:50 pm »
Foam grips .

How do foam grips get rid of the buzz in the footpegs? Or am I putting them on wrong? :))

Offline Pbfoot

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 10807
« Reply #85 on: November 01, 2014, 02:11:52 am »
I am not experiencing a buzz in the foot pegs. I guess you could try it if you are desperate. ;D
If you don't have time to do it right, when do you have time to do it over.                                                                17" wheels, Nissin 4 piston calipers.1kg Sonic Springs.Cartridge Fork Emulators. KB Brace. Galfer brake lines  Free power mod.

Offline Jorge

• Sport Tourer
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 9297
  • Membership Level: Event Host
« Reply #86 on: November 02, 2014, 12:58:18 am »
Jim
Thanks, I've never  checked for the difference between idle and 4KRPM; I'll need to do that next time. I just it doesn't suck the ATF out of MY setup. I think that (using ATF) makes me as much a cheapskate as you  :great:
Jorge