Author Topic: Got my new (under warranty) cams...  (Read 4770 times)

Offline coffee_brake

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 7653
  • Membership Level: Active
Got my new (under warranty) cams...
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2008, 06:06:00 pm »
The knocking? Expert local independent mechanic listened to it start up and says it's top end...I'd bet my boots the valves were not adjusted right after the new cams install. Looks like my Sunday is cut out for yanking the thing apart again. It quiets down within a mile.    Thanks for the cool-headed advice everyone, I'm sending my letter to Kawasaki and a copy to this shop, telling the shop they should consider owning up to their mistake and fix my bike. They won't, of course, fix my bike because they sure as heck aren't getting their hands on it ever again. But I hope they at least offer. I don't want any money. That turns this situation into something I don't care to pursue. I just want it known that they let a punk tech mess up my bike while the service manager was out of town.    Really appreciate the help, folks, really....  
Jenn in "Chaahlston, y'all...."

Offline DeansZG

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2008, 10:53:00 am »
If the knocking quiets down after a minute or two like you said, it's probably the cam chain tensioner ready to advance a notch or two. That would make sense because the chain was returned to it's relaxed state due to the cams replacement. If you've still got the oem tensioner in place, sometimes it takes awhile to advance & quiet down.    

Offline Charlie_Gary_AAD

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 8048
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2008, 02:11:00 pm »
 My Connie used to make me think the Hammers of Doom were under the valve cover.  I put up with it until my warranty expired, and then I got a manual tensioner from these guys.    http://www.aperaceparts.com/    Click the ZX Kawasaki tab, and follow the menu on the right to "tensioners".  If your bike is 2007 or older, the KT1100-C will fit.  The difference is night and day.      Later,           Charlie
Later, 
Charlie - NWAAD
COG# 8048
AMA# 603377
Re-defining the phrase "Rides like a grandpa"

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Industry Member
  • I Need a Life
  • COG#: 6977
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2008, 01:26:00 pm »
 Yeah, it's the tensioner. No big deal, and nobody's fault except the designers.      John Albright recently posted a kawasaki technique for adjusting the tensioner on the other site. Basically, loosen and remove the 12mm nut and spring, then loosen the 2 mounting bolts enough to get a .010" feeler guage in the gap. Then push on the adjuster rod from the back til it clicks in 1 click, then reassemble and tighten the unit.      Apparently this is Kawasaki's field adjustment for stubborn tensioners, but most dealers don't know it. Steve   Shleper of the 7th gear unit and performance exhaust cam sprockets.       My bike - "SHOODABEN" - 1109cc's of what an 04 concours "shoodaben"!
C-14 ECU flashing for performance and rideability enhancement
C-10 Carb work , cams, & performance enhancements
 " Modifications for sport-tourers, BY a sport-tourer"
https://sites.google.com/site/shoodabenengineering/home

Offline coffee_brake

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2008, 01:56:00 pm »
I'm not sure it's the tensioner, only because that tensioner was making the "hammers of doom" noise from Colorado all the way to CA, and it finally clicked into place and got quiet again in San Diego. This sounds different.  The very first time I did my valve adjust, it took me two days. I made a mistake and used the standard measurement on the feeler gauges instead of the metric. The noise it made on startup sounded just like this.     I am back into the bike now. I have found the oil drain plug rounded off. The tech ripped apart the left heat guard thing under the fairing. The lower mounting point is completely torn away, he must have tried to pull it off like a sidecover. He just screwed the torn-out piece back on over the rest of the broken plastic and didn't tell me.    Remember I said it felt vibey again? Well, he didn't torque the motor mount bolt at all. It was finger-loose when I took off the engine guard. I told them when I dropped off the bike that the guards came off at their mounts, NOT to loosen the motor mounts. The washers I installed in the motor mount to make it stop breaking the bolt off, they are still there, but I'll have to go back through and torque everything again.    I haven't even gotten to the valves yet, I just came in for lunch. I really don't need to be doing this on my day off....    Thaks for explaining the "field adjustment" on the cam chain tensioner, that thing embarrassed me across half the country this Spring... :blush:    I was spreading the bad news about this at a Veteran's Day Ride yesterday. I'm not the only one having major bad service issues with this place.  

Offline coffee_brake

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2008, 03:50:00 pm »
OK valves re-adjusted. They were all on the tight side, ranging from acceptable to incredibly tight, couldn't even fit the feeler gauges of the acceptable range under them. I think the tech tightened the nuts with an impact driver, they have never been this hard to loosen. All the fasteners were overtight, particularly the head cover ones. I have some seriously banged up knuckles now!  There is a lot of silicone globbed around the headcover gasket "ears" but I don't see any globs loose in the head.  The new cams show scoring and marks already, I got pics of them all. Should they already show wear? One cam lobe looks like it has a chip out of it.    Sure appreciate any information ya'll might have...I feel guilty for letting these guys get anywhere near my bike, but now at least I know the valves are right, even if some damage has already been done.          

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Industry Member
  • I Need a Life
  • COG#: 6977
« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2008, 08:17:00 pm »
the cams should look pristine at this point. Steve   Shleper of the 7th gear unit and performance exhaust cam sprockets.       My bike - "SHOODABEN" - 1109cc's of what an 04 concours "shoodaben"!
C-14 ECU flashing for performance and rideability enhancement
C-10 Carb work , cams, & performance enhancements
 " Modifications for sport-tourers, BY a sport-tourer"
https://sites.google.com/site/shoodabenengineering/home

Offline coffee_brake

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2008, 09:06:00 pm »
Thanks Steve, going back to this dealership this week with the pics, see if they have anything to say about this.    Connie sounds a bajillion times better now, no more racket under there.  

Offline Charlie_Gary_AAD

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 8048
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2008, 01:35:00 am »
You don't happen to remember just how tight the valves were, do you?  .002", .004"?  That could end up being very helpful information at some point.      Later,           Charlie
Later, 
Charlie - NWAAD
COG# 8048
AMA# 603377
Re-defining the phrase "Rides like a grandpa"

Offline coffee_brake

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2009, 01:08:00 am »
I have spoken to folks at the local Kaw dealership where the bike was originally purchased. Seems that some things have changed there since 2006 and I like what I see. The head of the service dept. has had a couple of long conversations about this issue and I'll be bringing him the bike (in a truck with the plastics and stuff off, will remove the head cover in the parking lot there) so he can see that the camshafts were installed incorrectly. He's willing to submit another warranty claim. That is the very best I can do.     Aiken Motorcycles in Aiken, SC is never touching my bike again. Especially not after I have made a stink to Mamma Kaw about them and they said I had to take it back there to see if it was actually as I said. I sent high-quality digital pictures of the damaged cams to both the service and customer service departments but they will not respond to the emails at all. I can't believe how poorly they are handling this. It's just a couple hundred bucks to them, right? But it's my main transportation to me!    This issue isn't laid to rest yet. I'll keep it posted. The worst case is I run these cams until I can get them to Canada to be treated properly, or either run some Ninja cams. But the best is that I get one more set under warranty before it runs out this Spring.