Author Topic: Gunk in coolant system fill pipe  (Read 313 times)

Offline Bucky

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 11949
  • Membership Level: Active
Gunk in coolant system fill pipe
« on: October 16, 2017, 05:44:31 pm »
I removed the coolant system fill cap and found this black Gunk down in the fill tube. And almost feels like Grease. Is this normal?

Antique Machinery Junkie

Offline Mcfly

• --2006 Concours--
  • Iron Butt
  • Cruise Control
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 9921
Re: Gunk in coolant system fill pipe
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2017, 06:31:54 pm »
I'm gonna say... No. 

I hope someone hasn't used some radiator repair goop (aka Stopleak) in the past.

Safe to say it's time to thoroughly flush the cooling system.

Other possibilities of oil getting into the coolant... water pump seals?  or worst case, head gasket,
but I rarely hear about head gaskets going on these engines.

Performance -- Rear: C14 Shock - Front: Sonic 1.1 w/emulators - SISF Jet Mod & Ex Cam Sprocket - Tokico front brakes
Comfort -- Russell Day Long - Madstad - Cruise Control

Online MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2017, 08:05:04 pm »
If it has the original OEM radiator cap, its likely that the rubber seal has decomposed, and turned to chewing gum... feels greasy, and messy..
Peel back that seal, and feel it closely..

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW

Offline Mcfly

• --2006 Concours--
  • Iron Butt
  • Cruise Control
  • COG#: 9921
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2017, 09:08:59 pm »
If it has the original OEM radiator cap, its likely that the rubber seal has decomposed, and turned to chewing gum... feels greasy, and messy..
Peel back that seal, and feel it closely..

Oh my!!   :-\    :D
Performance -- Rear: C14 Shock - Front: Sonic 1.1 w/emulators - SISF Jet Mod & Ex Cam Sprocket - Tokico front brakes
Comfort -- Russell Day Long - Madstad - Cruise Control

Offline LeeM

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 12454
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2017, 02:36:47 am »
Interesting problem. When you removed the fill cap, what do you estimate to be the level of the coolant. Or, how much coolant did you add? Kind of getting around to the question, is your bike using or losing coolant?

The water pump on the Connie is on the front, bottom left side of the engine. The drive side of the water pump goes through the crankcase and there is engine oil on the drive tang. The regular instructions tell you to drain the engine oil when changing the water pump. The pump drive tang gets oil splash and I don't know how deep the engine oil is around the water pump. The point is, when the cooling system cools off a small vacuum appears that draws coolant from the reserve tank at the bottom of the bike. I am just guessing, if your water pump has tired  seals and the cooling system has a big headspace of air, it could pull some oil into the cooling system through the water pump seal.

On my 2000 Connie, I replaced the coolant and water pump at about 68,000 miles.  Murph's kits carries the water pump. I recommend you buy or borrow a radiator pressure tester. A pressure tester makes it easy to  reassemble  the Connie with no coolant leaks. Also, fill the system with distilled water for testing. Put in coolant after you fix the leaks. The adapter called the "Honda or Ford Fiesta" small diameter radiator neck adapter fits the Kawasaki.

Also note, when you drain coolant, some air is trapped in the cooling system and you need to "burp" the system or pull a little vacuum with a hand vacuum pump to make the trapped air a small bubble.

Offline SteveJ.

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5603
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2017, 10:37:38 am »
I removed the coolant system fill cap and found this black Gunk down in the fill tube. And almost feels like Grease. Is this normal?
It's normal if the cap seal is degraded. A side effect can be that the seal is swollen and will not release pressure forcing a leak elsewhere, like the thermostat gasket. DAMHIKIJK.

Without a visual reference, we're kinda guessing.
Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SiSF)
Steve J  Tavares, FL, one of the Floriduh Steves
'15 Versys650LT, '98 KLR650, (back home), '99 C-10, 234k miles sold
IBA 19221