Author Topic: Had to bite the bullet  (Read 444 times)

Offline connieklr

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 1608
  • Membership Level: Active
Had to bite the bullet
« on: December 28, 2018, 06:09:32 pm »
Had to bite the bullet and add the separate grounding relay for the cruise after installing the LED stop/tail lamps. Cruise had worked just fine before without needing the relay, but not now. Thought I’d try an external 25 ohm 25W pull down resistor first; far less complicated. Wrestled the bike out yesterday for a short test ride and it has no effect. Went ahead and did the relay install today to apply the hard ground, but its gonna be awhile before I can test it. Raining again.  :'(
COG #1608
COG Life Member
Semi-Civilian
GB Young Services, LLC

Offline RWulf

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 7122
Re: Had to bite the bullet
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2018, 08:52:51 pm »
Ya I found the same thing. Relay not so bad.

Offline connieklr

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 1608
Re: Had to bite the bullet
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2018, 01:31:46 pm »
The relay install was really pretty easy for me as well. Like many have probably done in the past, I pre-wired the relay jumpers on the bench, and left two extended pigtails - one for the red/blue brake light switch and the other for ground. The purple (wire) connection out to the cruise simply plugged into the relay since I already had Faston connectors in place for other, previous uses. It was basically just a plug’n play arrangement. I zip tied the relay to the projection stub on the rear fender normally used to store the rear rack cover.

Done.

Even tho’ I can’t get out of my yard to do an actual road test, I ran the engine up to about the minimum cruise RPM cut off, and hit the engage button on the keypad. The cruise “snatched” the throttle out of my hand and the RPM immediately jumped up, then cut itself off due to the rapid RPM detection shut off safety. Bottom line: It works, so we’re a happy camper.

Now, if the yard would just dry out.  :)
COG #1608
COG Life Member
Semi-Civilian
GB Young Services, LLC