Author Topic: Half naked 99 c10 radiator reservoir  (Read 425 times)

Offline The ice man

• Bicycle
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 12605
  • Membership Level: Active
Half naked 99 c10 radiator reservoir
« on: October 08, 2017, 04:22:22 am »
I am seriously considering removing the lower,left and right middle fairings and running the bike that way. I can see several advantages to doing this. ..  I would leave the upper fairing and windshield in place. I am not sure about relocating the radiator reservoir? Where would it be relocated too,or would it be replaced with a different type of reservoir? There also maybe other issues I have not thought about?

Offline RWulf

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 7122
Re: Half naked 99 c10 radiator reservoir
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2017, 04:25:30 am »
Some put it behind the battery.

Offline m in sc

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2017, 02:02:43 pm »
i have mine sitting to the rh side fo the battery. used a clippard accumulator tank (aluminum) 1/4 npt tapped top and bottom . feed in from the botttom from motor, rain drain out top, out back following upper frame rail, exits above the license plate behind the rear tire. hose clamped to back left framerail under side cover. easy

Offline The ice man

• Bicycle
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2017, 02:43:24 pm »
i have mine sitting to the rh side fo the battery. used a clippard accumulator tank (aluminum) 1/4 npt tapped top and bottom . feed in from the botttom from motor, rain drain out top, out back following upper frame rail, exits above the license plate behind the rear tire. hose clamped to back left framerail under side cover. easy

I don't  know wear to get a clippard accumulator tank?

Offline The ice man

• Bicycle
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2017, 02:55:26 pm »

I assume you are running your bike with the lower fairings removed?  How do you like it that way? Do you have pictures?  Are there any disadvantages? ...

Offline m in sc

• Training Wheels
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2017, 03:13:01 pm »
http://www.clippard.com/part/AVT-32-16

we had one floating around at work from a project froma few years ago.  works great.  i just wanted to relocate the lower one, wanted more airflow under motor.

Offline Pbfoot

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 10807
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2017, 04:01:23 pm »
Ninja 250 overflow fits nicely behind right side cover. Uses Concours hoses so there is nothing else to buy. Can be had off EBay for $10.
If you don't have time to do it right, when do you have time to do it over.                                                                17" wheels, Nissin 4 piston calipers.1kg Sonic Springs.Cartridge Fork Emulators. KB Brace. Galfer brake lines  Free power mod.

Offline m in sc

• Training Wheels
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2017, 05:01:35 pm »
^ yup.  i just used what i had  luckily we have some really neat stuff just laying around.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2017, 09:43:24 pm »
wayyy back in time, while building COGZilla, I was posed with this dilemma.. and created the relo process which uses all parts already on the bike, without needing to purchase anything.. well, if you don't have any velcro laying around, you might spend a buck or two, but ya really don't need to. All the hoses and hardware are there.
 Remove both coolant recovery hoses, they get reused, but swapped for position, and one gets trimmed a bit..you can figure out which one to use where after the install, based on length needed to route them to the radiator, and to the original drain point at the rear of the bike for overflow... then remove the reservoir, and bracket, and pull the rubber bumpers from the bracket to re use on the battery box.
pull the tool tray, battery, and battery box out.
Drill holes in the battery box and install the rubber bumpers as shown in the photo.
Place the res bottle in position, and slide the batt box back in to see where it all fits up best..
I was using a slimmer battery for this bike, but as all the parts are "adjustable" for location, it works with the OEM size battery.. and, if you use an Oddyssey battery, it clears even better.
While playing with locations, find the one that suits fitup best for you, and then mark the res and fender, and apply velcro strips to reduce the tank from bouncing around later.. in the end, it all looks like what I show in these photos..
I've had zero issues with this, and a lot of people have used my location method without complaint..

pics in following posts.

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2017, 09:47:35 pm »
pics

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2017, 09:49:57 pm »
m ore

Offline m in sc

• Training Wheels
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2017, 09:52:01 pm »
COOL WAY TO DO IT.  ive got a tool roll there on mine. compared to what im used to working on, the concourse is just plain cavernous under the body work. i was thinking of adding a sunroom down the road...  :06:

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2017, 09:54:52 pm »
also, note the coolant level you see in picture "cool2", you only need about 2" of coolant in the reservior when mounted this way, and the system is filled, purged, and sealed. This leaves plenty of room for any overflow into the res without puking it out the overflow hose.

best of luck on your mods, whichever you choose.. I chose to utilize parts I had on the bike, and had no issue with that.. If it works without a hitch, why spend money on something else?
 :great: :great: :great: :great:  I like that K.I.S.S. principle. :beerchug:

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2017, 09:57:03 pm »
COOL WAY TO DO IT.  ive got a tool roll there on mine. compared to what im used to working on, the concourse is just plain cavernous under the body work. i was thinking of adding a sunroom down the road...  :06:

the factory tool roll, and tool tray,are like having titz on a boarhog... about as useful as that anyway.. I have "real" tools in my bags.. :rotflmao:

On COGZilla, I carry a pretty robust tool rollup, from RoadGear, and it is stuffed with lots, it fits perfectly right behind that reservoir, and cant move or fall out when the sidecovers are installed.. perfect combo.
http://roadgear.com/tool-pouches-c-23_33.html

sunroom?  ride nekid... :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :great: :great:
« Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 10:05:55 pm by MAN OF BLUES »

Offline m in sc

• Training Wheels
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2017, 10:44:01 pm »
who said it was factory. ? its far from it, and i carry what i need... i know, you know best and you love to counter everything i say. (and others) . i'm done contributing, i certainly don't need any of your advice or snarky comments to keep my bikes running, and your attitude, frankly, sucks. Every time i post something you love to counter to prove you think you know best or your way is better. I don't care if they kick me off this board either . 

BYE!  :truce:
« Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 10:48:37 pm by m in sc »

Offline fred-houston

• Officer
  • Street Cruiser
  • COG Membership Officer
  • COG#: 9066
  • Membership Level: Administrator
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2017, 12:24:59 am »
I used a reservoir that I picked up at a junkyard.  Not sure what it is off of.

Fred Boothe - COG Membership Officer
Missouri City, TeXaS
1999 C-10 EFI (Semi Naked)
2016 Yamaha Super Tenere
2001 BMW R1150GS

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2017, 03:46:12 am »
who said it was factory. ? its far from it, and i carry what i need... i know, you know best and you love to counter everything i say. (and others) . i'm done contributing, i certainly don't need any of your advice or snarky comments to keep my bikes running, and your attitude, frankly, sucks. Every time i post something you love to counter to prove you think you know best or your way is better. I don't care if they kick me off this board either . 

BYE!  :truce:

My comment on the factory tool tray and tools combo was just my opinion, and in no way meant to cause anguish on your part, or disrespecfully say you did something abnormal... sheesh dude, relax, don't get a complex,  and its not necessary to start a name calling thing over it, nor to become so upset. My posting of tool carrying was for the benefit of those that may be asking as the tool tray ends up being removed when installing the resergoir in that location.

Offline m in sc

• Training Wheels
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2017, 11:41:22 am »
.... just found the 'ignore' function in the profile preferences section.  like digital duct tape.  :great:

Offline Red Eagle

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 5753
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2017, 02:35:55 pm »
MOB:

Does the tool bag/pouch sit in front of or behind coolant bottle? I've got your instructions somewhere in my stash of notes and I remembered the tool roll and tool tray not being reused. I have an extra tool roll in my bags with even more stuff. I could put the OEM tool roll there , too I suppose.

Thanks,

Bob Young
COG #5753
Bob Young   COG #5753 C-10 A-1 CDA#307 

Offline The ice man

• Bicycle
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2017, 09:12:32 pm »
How much dose moving the radiator reservoir effect heat? I know that the I have to much heat from the engine on my lower legs in the summer in southern California. How will moving the reservoir effect this?

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2017, 09:26:37 pm »
MOB:

Does the tool bag/pouch sit in front of or behind coolant bottle? I've got your instructions somewhere in my stash of notes and I remembered the tool roll and tool tray not being reused. I have an extra tool roll in my bags with even more stuff. I could put the OEM tool roll there , too I suppose.

Thanks,

Bob Young
COG #5753

The Road Gear roll I use fits behind the reservior, snugly.
The OEM plastic pouch will not suit that spot, and will bounce and fall down and out alongside the fender..

Iceman:
When the bottle is removed, along with the bracket, that area really catches and routes a lot of fresh cool air alongside the bottom and sides of the engine area and cowling, with the fairing assembled in normal fashion, it does significantly reduce the heat, and pushes it out below. I also modafied the bottom belly pan plastic when I installed the SPOOFAK oil filter mod, which removed some more plastic down under, and combined it also aided airflow.

Offline Lonestar Cruzer

• Training Wheels
  • COG#: 12480
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2017, 05:54:44 pm »
I removed the tool/document cubby under the seat, and velcroed the stock radiator res to the front side of the rear fender directly behind the battery. I had to take a little material off the battery box to get the top nipple to fit good, but honestly I'd remove the top nipple, JB weld or epoxy it off and get a cap with a nipple in it since the res in this orientation does not hold a lot of fluid. If I sit in Dallas traffic on a hot day and the engine gets too far up the hot side, it'll start spitting up some coolant. I frequently check my radiator level after the bike has cooled off, and have never been low in the rad even after the whole Dallas rush hour stuff. I put a custom toolkit and documents in a license plate mount box. Whole job took about an hour to do, and about $15 for the LP box and maybe a dollar or 2 for the velcro.