Author Topic: Handle bar risers, throttle assist, 5'7 rider, numb right arm  (Read 572 times)

Offline Archer

• Fast enough to get out of town
  • Big Wheels
  • 97 Connie
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 12796
  • Membership Level: Active
Hello friends and assorted riders.  May I ask this forum forsum help? My topic title says the basics but I wish to ask what the goal is that I should be aiming for in modifying my handle bars to my 5'7 riding form?  Is there a COG white paper on this subject?

On the throttle assist, I expect to shop these items through The Wizard, but I get some recommendations for risers and pitfalls to avoid?  Thanks,

Archer :sign0144:
ADG

Offline Larry_Buck_FL

• Industry Member
  • Road Bike
    • Buck Sport Touring
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 3451
  • Membership Level: Event Host
Re: Handle bar risers, throttle assist, 5'7 rider, numb right arm
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2018, 11:45:09 am »
You will be more comfortable if your seating position is similar to sitting on a chair, ie fairly upright, arms comfortably bent, etc.

If you plan to travel, a cruise control will be much better than a throttle lock. Murphs Kits carries the Audiovox model. HTH
Larry Buck - COG 3451, Retired SE-AD, now SE-AAD, Ex - Concourier C-10 Tech Editor, COG National Safety Officer, IBA 5581, MSF-Rider Coach, Forum moderator.

Buck Sport Touring-"Ride Far" www.bucksporttouring.com

Offline JimBob

• Sport Tourer
  • Woman...WHOAAAA MAN!
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2018, 04:55:24 pm »
WHat Larry said.

Get handlebar adapters (Wiz may have them). And either handlebars you like or some adjustables (Helibars are one). Again Wiz may have.

+1 the cruise control. Not hard to install.

Throttle lock is a quick-and-dirty solution, but the CC is much nicer.Pretty sure Murph even has the wiring diagrams appropriate to our bikes. If not, there are a couple sets around here, along with notes. May be a good one for a Tech Day.

Offline Bob

• ONO Rider
  • Tricycle
  • ONO "Old, Not Obsolete"
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 12789
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2018, 09:48:49 pm »
Hello friends and assorted riders.  May I ask this forum forsum help? My topic title says the basics but I wish to ask what the goal is that I should be aiming for in modifying my handle bars to my 5'7 riding form?  Is there a COG white paper on this subject?

On the throttle assist, I expect to shop these items through The Wizard, but I get some recommendations for risers and pitfalls to avoid?  Thanks,

I have set of risers on a parts bike,
They look like these.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/SR-95-06-Kawasaki-Concours-ZG-1000-1-25-Billet-Handlebar-Riser-Spacer-Kit/302471811319?hash=item466cb990f7:g:520AAOSwqRRZzynV

PM me if you're interested.

Archer :sign0144:
2006 Concours, 1978 KZ650
02 Harley Low Rider, 1987 Ninja 750
1987 Honda Super Magna, 1981 CSR 650
1977 KZ650

Offline m in sc

• Mini Bike
  • COG#: Forum
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2018, 01:25:05 am »
i have helibars on mine, they are pulled back pretty good, and im the same size as you. makes all the difference. the risers are def good, and if you can rotate them back a bit (my ex father in law was 5"6 and we did his c10  like this as well), but IMHO, for us short guys, the helibars are the way to go if you can stomach the cost.

Offline Nosmo

• Crotch Rocket
  • "We're all in this together" -- Red Green
  • COG#: Forum
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2018, 05:48:29 pm »
Try a set of these bar risers, if they don't help, nothing will:

http://www.dpccars.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/Extreme-Motorcycle-Ape-Hangers-5.jpg

2003 Connie    2007 Wee-Strom   

"What could possibly go wrong...click....go wrong...click...go wrong...click...go wrong..."

Offline TnRider

• Bicycle
  • COG#: 12484
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2018, 09:06:20 pm »
My 2001 Concours with Murph's handlebar adapters, Rox Risers (I think 3 1/2 inches), 7/8 inch tubular handlebar, foam grips, longer stainless steel brake and clutch lines and cruise control (from Murph's).  Also I lowered the bike with Soupy's lowering links and added a custom seat.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2018, 10:38:02 am by TnRider »

Offline JimBob

• Sport Tourer
  • Woman...WHOAAAA MAN!
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2018, 03:16:37 am »
Try a set of these bar risers, if they don't help, nothing will:

http://www.dpccars.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/Extreme-Motorcycle-Ape-Hangers-5.jpg

Hahaha...omg that is so messed up!

Your arms would be numb in no time!

Offline who me?

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 11932
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2018, 11:06:50 am »
On The Mule Ive got a set of bar risers and  Larry Bucks  ZG bars
I didnt realize what a difference it made until I rotated them back to stock for a couple of days
https://www.bucksporttouring.com/
I have no idea about anything.
95 C10 The Mule
02 C10 parts are parts

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2018, 07:26:27 pm »
I'll jump into the Murph's pool also, and say they do offer a really viable option for finding comfort...
https://www.murphskits.com/product_info.php?cPath=1_90&products_id=142&osCsid=08qWHJAT24oHy88RC3eRD2

I think I had the first couple sets manufactured years back, and found them perfect for "my" needs,  I didn't want higher, or more pulled back bars... I wanted wider and flatter bars, to take the pinch out between my shoulder blades, and offer a more flat handed grip, with no wrist or elbow twist...
Those adapters with either Daytona or Superbike bar bend configurations, both provided what I wanted... and because I didn't go higher, I didn't need to add any cables, hoses, or blocks, or harness reconfiguring...
Perfect for me...

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline Archer

• Fast enough to get out of town
  • Big Wheels
  • 97 Connie
  • COG#: 12796
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2018, 11:30:27 am »
Thank you all for your replies, and my apologies I didn't get back sooner; forgot I had a job.  I'm going to sources the goodies and take them in to my local shop and let them button it up.  My goal this summer is to improve my riding distance!  See ya'll out there!
ADG

Offline Jim Snyder

• Crotch Rocket
  • Oops, my Connie turned into and FJR !!!
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 7055
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2018, 10:47:28 pm »
Get a Storz or KB handlebar adaptor and some Bikemaster Daytona 7/8" bars. It will transform your bike and eliminate the buzz you get from the stock tuning fork bars. You will not need to replace any cables or hoses just do a little re-routing and you will have plenty of slack.
"Some days you're the windshield, and some days you're the bug" Get used to it cause thats life !!!