Author Topic: Have any of you NOT dropped your bike?  (Read 2497 times)

Offline Stasch

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 6830
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: Have any of you NOT dropped your bike?
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2018, 11:09:48 am »
I've had 4 Connies. (86/00/03/14}
I never dropped the 2000.  :great:
 {Does that count}??

Ride safe, Ted

So you're saying you've never ridden the 2000?  :pokestick:   :29:
Stan Visser - COG#: 6830 - - C10 Stuff For Sale - Parts List

He IS a racer, hence the forward lean!!  by: Mettler1

Offline Bob H

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 788
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2018, 12:29:38 pm »
Can I claim I've never "dropped" my C10? 

I did "lay it down somewhat unexpectedly" in the grass though!   :truce: ;D
Remember, much of what you see on-line is wrong or misguided, your task is to filter that out!
 '88 one owner:
Bone stock...and proud of it!!

Offline Strawboss

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 5852
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2018, 04:20:40 pm »
Mine sunk into some soft dirt and eased over when I wasn't on it, but I've never dropped a bike.
01 Concours  1982 KZ550A  1979 Triumph Bonneville  1995 Honda scooter  COG#5852  AMA Life 302525  NRA 9098599  SASS 28759

Offline Bergmen

• Sport Tourer
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2018, 10:15:35 pm »
Owned a C10 for 12 years, never laid it over. I now have an FJR (4 1/2 years) and haven't dropped it either.

Dan
--2014 Yamaha FJR1300A--
--ZGRX 1200 Concours (sold)--
--SPOOFAK Inventor--

Offline WillyP

• I Need a Life
  • Live Free Or Die
    • Suncook Carpentry
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 8799
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2018, 01:29:33 pm »
No drops, well, Connie dropped me one time when I set the kickstand down on my shoelace!  >:(
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.
pics

Offline jettawreck

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2018, 12:56:28 am »
Never dropped any of the C10's (2002/2005) in the years I owned/rode them.
I have "dropped" my ST1300 twice, within two days on the same trip with the wife up to the North Shore of Lake Superior. Both were "parking" related, the first one coming down off the center stand at the gas station. Second time was at a ''scenic overlook" parking episode on sandy pavement. Both times fully loaded with gear, tank bag and trunk. No damage somehow other than scuffs on the built in front tip over bar covers. The one at the gas station could have been almost catastrophic amount of damage. After fueling it I pushed it forward off the centerstand while alongside the bike. The front tire met resistance where the concrete and tar pavement met with a rather substantial lip. Forward movement quickly stopped and it started to go over and away from me falling with the fuel pump barely missing the rear top box, the pump barrier (big iron pipe in a loop set into the concrete to prevent idiots from driving into said pump) somehow missing the tank, windshield, and bars. Only left a tiny streak of red paint on the top cover of the front brake master cylinder. It was very, very difficult for the two of us to lift it up away from the pump since we couldn't really get around the other side of it at any decent lift points. I was very glad there was no audience around to "help" however.
Snowmobiles, I have a bunch.
Motorcycles-I haven't had anything except dirtbikes 30 years ago, so this will be all new to me.
2005 C10 with Rifle w/s, SISF Exhaust sprocket, overflow tubes, 2 minute jet mod. (SOLD)
2004 Honda ST1300-the current mule.

Offline m in sc

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: Southeast Area
« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2018, 07:46:10 pm »
have only ever dropped a few over all the years. my 1st bike, 81cb750. once in leaves, once at a light, once into a  gas pump. lol.
99 sv650 i had. back in 01.. rolled up, forgot sidestand, got off bike. bam. no damage though. DOH!

dropped my 74 rd350 lc hybrid 2x at speed (crashed, later found out due to front tire, was my fault for putting wrong compound on)

and.. the absolute worst one. dropped my 84 RZ350. actually, fell over in shop on sidestand. I must have set it wrong. crushed fuel tank with original paint. i was so mad i almost sold it for like 2k. (worth way more).  but found an original tank and happy now. (that was like 5 yrs ago)

>:( :'(

never dropped the connie. hope not to. out ouf the 100+ bikes ive owned, im doing pretty good i think.

Offline Brooke_Benfield_OR

• Moped
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 2185
« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2018, 08:28:25 pm »
Never dropped my 2001 C10 in 12 years of ownership and ~104000 miles.

Traded it in on a brand spankin new FJR and 3 weeks later had it fall over due to improperly deploying the sidestand. I guess I'm just lucky that way....
Brooke Benfield  2013 FJR1300  COG #2185

Offline CBX-Bob

• Moped
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 11241
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2018, 05:58:47 am »
Bought my '02 C-10 5 years ago, I was 65 then. Not my first big bike, it is a bit top heavy especially with a full tank, so you take extra care at low speeds, and parking, etc. I've put about 25K on it in the last 5 years, and really love the bike, but I'm 5'8" and pushing 180# so I realize I could drop it at any time. The tip-over bars are cheap insurance to avoid damaging expensive body pieces. You can't beat the value of a used C-10, they are comfortable, economical (I get 50 mpg) carry lots of cargo (30 pack in each saddlebag!) and parts are readily available.
2002 Connie, 82 CBX Nakid, 82 CBX Dressed

Offline Greenie

• Scooter
  • COG#: 1019
« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2018, 06:20:29 am »
The '98 C-10 I bought new was never dropped by me - I still have it with 100K plus miles on it. A very short term  no good son in law might have done something to it as the fairing around the directional cut outs was broken on both sides.
Last November I bought a pristine 04 with 11K on it. I had the center stand up on a 2x10 or two, my tractor inches behind it so I could use the bucket hook with a cargo strap to get the front wheel off the ground for service. Stupidly I felt I needed to reposition the bucket. From the tractor seat I watched this pristine bike get pushed ahead off the center stand, roll a few feet forward and fall hard on its right side. That's one of the stupidest things I've done for years. 
« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 10:37:25 pm by Greenie »

Offline Bocajnala

• Tricycle
« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2018, 09:14:02 am »
I haven't dropped this bike....

I dropped a BMW K1200 once in a parking lot.

-Jake

Offline CRocker

• Sport Tourer
  • '02 C10 CDA # 416
  • AREA: South Central Area
« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2018, 10:17:26 am »
That question is really kinda funny... :rotflmao:...just saying...

Offline kkja13

• Mini Bike
  • Tyler, TX
« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2018, 03:08:13 am »
I've had mine for 3 years.   No drops.  I always roll mine out of the garage by hand and feet before starting the engine.   That is the only time that I feel like she is top heavy.
2004 C10
2003 Suzuki SV650s
2000 Kawasaki Eliminator 125 (75mpg!)
1993 Suzuki DR350; 1984 Honda XR200R (RFVC); 1985 Yamaha PW80; 1975 Yamaha DT175;
1974 Honda ST90; 1973 Honda Z50 (first bike, still runs)

Offline MikeSD14

• Training Wheels
« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2018, 09:23:28 pm »
Nope... knocking on wood however :)  I owned a 99 Busa bought new tho put over 33K miles on it and only had one close call.
Strength and determination kept it off the ground! However while riding my wifes GROM (a couple years ago) I managed to low side and break ribs! Damn small bikes!
Current bikes:
03 Aprilia Tuono & 13 Tuono V4
04 YZ450F (sold)
10 Sachs Madass
11 Silver C14

Offline turbojoe78_MA

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 8645
« Reply #39 on: June 21, 2018, 10:44:41 am »
I dropped my C10 over at 0 mph twice in the first 6 months when not paying enough attention trying to park it, then never again in the next 9 years.

Haven't dropped my C14 ... yet ... in 2 1/2 years.

Until last Saturday night.  No speed drop while trying to turn around on a sloped road.  There may have been other mitigating factors involved that I won't speak of.

The only things to touch the road were the MCE canyon cage and bag guard on the left side.
1968 Honda 160 Scrambler,  Sold / 1979 Kawasaki SR 650, Traded in for next one,  1978 Kawasaki KZ 1000 Z1R Turbo Sold / 1986 Kawasaki ZX 1000R Ninja / 1999 Kawasaki Concours / 2014 Kawasaki Concours 1400  COG memb# 8645

Offline Pbfoot

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 10807
« Reply #40 on: June 21, 2018, 10:56:50 am »
Never dropped my C10 but I realized very early not to use the front brake while slow speed maneuvering. Anything short of the handlebars being perfectly straight and your chance of going down goes up significantly. I am strictly speaking of parking.
If you don't have time to do it right, when do you have time to do it over.                                                                17" wheels, Nissin 4 piston calipers.1kg Sonic Springs.Cartridge Fork Emulators. KB Brace. Galfer brake lines  Free power mod.

Offline Thud300

• Taking the long way everywhere
  • Street Cruiser
  • my YouTube channel: "ToastRider"
« Reply #41 on: June 21, 2018, 12:18:11 pm »
Dropped em all. I think I've got 7 or 8 drops now in 4 years of riding. They're like snowflakes, no two are alike  :(
Returning old Kawis to riding glory since 2014
1998 Concours "Connimus Prime"  CDA #555
1991 Voyager XII "Xaviera"
1989 454 LTD "Merlin"

Offline Bob H

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 788
« Reply #42 on: June 21, 2018, 01:05:44 pm »
To keep those who have so far stayed upright from getting too smug, I would consider rewording the OP's subject line to:

Have any of you NOT dropped your bike...………………………...yet? :))
Remember, much of what you see on-line is wrong or misguided, your task is to filter that out!
 '88 one owner:
Bone stock...and proud of it!!

Offline Tour1

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 9226
« Reply #43 on: June 21, 2018, 01:49:40 pm »
I have not earned a CDA number yet.  I've low-sided at low speed twice but the CDA mod says that doesn't count.  Is the OP asking about the CDA type stupid mistake or the safety issue type?
I had a close call on the CDA type recently when my driveway was blocked so I detoured across the lawn to reach the street.  I was pushing the bike in neutral with the engine off when the grass became so soft it sank in enough so I couldn't push it further.  I knew the kickstand wouldn't work in that grass and for a few minutes I thought I would be holding the bike there until the next strong pedestrian would help.
Then I realized I could start the engine and power my way through the mushy turf to safely reach pavement again.
1987 Concours

Offline Wingedspirit

• Training Wheels
  • COG#: 12707
« Reply #44 on: June 29, 2018, 11:01:54 am »
I hate to answer that, then it will happen!  ;)

Offline Derick

• Road Bike
    • BeginnerBikers.org
« Reply #45 on: July 03, 2018, 10:35:56 am »
I've been riding concours' for 11 years now, never dropped my 86 or 06. Now, I'm going to go knock on some serious wood, because I'd rather dump my wing (and I have, sorta) than have to heave the connie off the ground. Even with the tipover bars.
Current Bikes:
2006 Kawasaki Concours///COG#:11628
2006 Honda Goldwing 1800///GWRRA#:398646

Offline Lee

• Training Wheels
  • COG#: 12558
« Reply #46 on: July 14, 2018, 05:49:01 pm »
Have not dropped my C10 yet, but a newbie. Because I have heard the stories have approached Concours with humility in slow speed on all outings so far. Here is my newbie observations. As a precaution I always put side down first thing. Never get on or off without side stand down. I always keep weight of bike biased toward stand side in maneuvers beside and off bike. Again with side stand down. This has saved me in slippery road side conditions twice now when I lost my footing. Also in slow speed maneuvers never get even close to steering lock with a full tank of gas, maybe a half too. The weight of fuel acts as a lever compounded or multiplied by angle of axle direction from center line. None of this should sway you from a C10 at all however if you use some respect of the above.
The reason why is a marvel and joy to experience. With any forward motion above zero plus MPH, this bike is a wonder to straddle. Light footed, sure footed. Honestly, in traffic I rarely put a foot down. She is so neutral and forgiving with forward movement. I just balance her with the bars as long as she moves even slightly. Like some kind of 650lb trials bike or that extra heavy cowboy that all the girls in the bar know by his name because he can dance, hehe! Yeah would never ever want to pass up a chance to ride and own one of these. With any forward motion at all she is a gazelle!

Offline FTB530

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 12127
« Reply #47 on: July 14, 2018, 06:22:37 pm »
No drops, well, Connie dropped me one time when I set the kickstand down on my shoelace!  >:(

A couple of times I wore boots with laces on my bike,when I put the stand down and went to get off 5h3 bike the lace was wrapped around the shifter, glad I wasn’t rolling to a stop, never wear those boots riding any more.

Offline MikeH_OH

• Tricycle
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #48 on: July 14, 2018, 10:18:59 pm »
These bikes are top heavy. Add a full load of fuel and hold on!
37 years riding on the street and track, one fall at a stop light (don't ask). Once on the track; July '17 attempting a pass (slip her sideways and hi-side!)  March '18 I tucked the front end under light braking, 20 mph 50 yards from my driveway.
There are those of us that have and those of us that will! I just hope its all low speed and more of an "Oops" for the rest of those that will.
Funny, I have ridden Honda and Suzuki all my life. Both "offs" were Kawasaki... mmmm.

Offline Tour1

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 9226
« Reply #49 on: July 15, 2018, 01:40:17 pm »
Lee, just remember that forward motion will tap the sidestand (kickstand) up quickly if it touches anything.  My 1st bike was a 250cc that I squeezed into a minivan and drove with the kickstand holding it upright... until I braked hard enough to roll the bike a couple inches forward and the kickstand popped up.

I think I read here somewhere to not steer the bike when off it and pushing it around.  To turn I lock the bars in the desired direction then make the turn and stop, often using the handbrake for extra leverage, then straighten the bars to push straight ahead and balanced.  Thinking about this makes me wonder why the kickstand and hand brake are on opposite sides of the bike.
  :-[
1987 Concours