Author Topic: Headlight wiring  (Read 305 times)

Offline Tjnoma99

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Headlight wiring
« on: August 30, 2017, 01:41:18 am »
So the previous owner wired in a hid headlight. I'm nut a fan. So I pulled the fairing and the headlight writing has been chopped up. My question is which wire is which? I have an electrical diagram but come to find out, I'm not too good at reading them ( I'm a plumber by trade)! And I noticed that there is no headlight connector. The bike takes an h4 correct?  Thank in advance!
The secret to life: 👆👆👇👇👈👉b a b a start!

Offline Jorge

• Officer
  • Sport Tourer
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 9297
  • Membership Level: Event Host
Re: Headlight wiring
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2017, 01:52:25 am »
Yikes!!
Hey, plumbing and wiring are the same, just don't mix them.
Yes, they take the H4 bulb.
I think you can get a replacement connector at any auto parts store. The plug is the same as the old hi/lo sealed beam light that millions of cars and trucks used, and many still use the same plug.
I'm sorry I can't remember which connector is which wire; possibly the replacement connector will have a guide.
From looking at the wiring diagram, the red/black wire is the high beam, the red/yellow is low, and the yellow/black is ground.
I recommend that you solder the connection, even if you use a barrel crimp connector, use a bare one, and put heat shrink tubing over the connection. There's quite a bit of current flowing through these wires, and you don't want to overheat them.
The solder in the joint prevents corrosion between the wires, and the heat shrink tubing will protecxt the connection, and isolate it preventing a short circuit.

Offline Tjnoma99

• Training Wheels
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2017, 01:55:49 am »
I don't know about being the same! Never been shocked by water ;)
That it's all the info I was looking for! When I pulled the hid harness off, all the connections went with it. So I will be soldering everything and using shrink tube!  Thanks for the info!

Offline JimBob

• Sport Tourer
  • Woman...WHOAAAA MAN!
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2017, 03:43:05 am »
May save you some headache to get Murphs headlight wiring upgrade kit.

https://www.murphskits.com/product_info.php?cPath=1_92&products_id=102[/font]

Offline Jim

• Street Cruiser
  • Jim
  • AREA: South Central Area
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2017, 10:47:47 am »
And here's one from NAPA ...

Offline Tjnoma99

• Training Wheels
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2017, 01:03:47 pm »
May save you some headache to get Murphs headlight wiring upgrade kit.

https://www.murphskits.com/product_info.php?cPath=1_92&products_id=102[/font]

I was thinking of doing this. Is it worth it?

Offline dboogie2288

• Road Bike
    • BeginnerBikers.org
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 11628
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2017, 01:57:04 pm »
Wired in?? It shouldn't have really been anything different than a drop in. Most HID's are plug and play...there is just more to it. Ballast and lots of extra wiring. Some HID kits do use a relay, and so there is the HOT wire that goes to the battery that may be what is 'wired in' but shouldnt be much more than that.

When it's all said and done, a lot of people use LED drop in bulbs from amazon. I did, and I like it just fine. It is a small pigtail and a small ballast to keep voltage steady but it will cut down on excess wiring. I removed my HID kit for the same reason...too much extra 'junk' tucked into the fairing. I like a clean, easy to service setup.
Current Bikes:
2006 Kawasaki Concours///COG#:11628
2006 Honda Goldwing 1800///GWRRA#:398646

Offline Tjnoma99

• Training Wheels
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2017, 03:30:44 pm »
What I'm assuming us the previous owner bought a universal kit, not bulb specific. He cut out the stock connector and hard wired the setup in. When I went to pull out the bulb, the new connectors all pulled off. I have a led bulb I want to use but I would prefer to have the stock connector. So now I need to solder on connectors or the stock one.

Offline JimBob

• Sport Tourer
  • Woman...WHOAAAA MAN!
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2017, 04:52:02 pm »
When you say the wires came out with the bulb, the wires for an HID bulb are NOT the same wires for a conventional/incandescent/factory bulb. The wires on the HID come from the ballast.

HID is like fluorescent - it uses high voltage to drive an arc inside the gas in the bulb. To do this, the 12v system is connected to a ballast which steps-up the voltage.

Are you SURE the factory wires are modified? Every kit I've used (10 or so in the last 12 years) uses a standard light connector to attach to the factory wiring (plugs into the bulb connector), which then goes to the ballast, and wiring from the ballast goes to the HID bulb.

Offline Tjnoma99

• Training Wheels
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2017, 04:54:07 pm »
I will double check. I just know everything kinda fell apart when I pulled the bulb. Hopefully I just looked at it wrong.

Offline dboogie2288

• Road Bike
    • BeginnerBikers.org
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2017, 04:56:32 pm »
What I'm assuming us the previous owner bought a universal kit, not bulb specific. He cut out the stock connector and hard wired the setup in. When I went to pull out the bulb, the new connectors all pulled off. I have a led bulb I want to use but I would prefer to have the stock connector. So now I need to solder on connectors or the stock one.

Oh my...that PO was an idiot. That's waaaayyy more work than buying a drop in. Some people.... sheesh  :-[
Current Bikes:

Offline Redbarron

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 10045
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2017, 05:09:16 pm »
I strongly recommend the Murph's Kits dual relay kit.

Their are plenty of YouTube videos that should help you with wiring, soldering and heatshrink Technics.
Never Allow the Radicall Views of the Few to Infringe on the Constitutional Rights of the Many

Offline Outback Jon

• Sport Tourer
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 9506
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2017, 06:37:06 pm »
I strongly recommend the Murph's Kits dual relay kit.

Their are plenty of YouTube videos that should help you with wiring, soldering and heatshrink Technics.
If he's going to LED, I don't think the Murph's relay kit will be any advantage.  LEDs seem to work just fine, even with a lower than optimum voltage.

I put a set in my car, and the ~6v for the DRLs lit the LED unit at full brightness.  Had to figure out how to disable the DRL circuit.
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157 
2011 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited - "Outback's Outback"
1998 Subaru Forester L 2.5 - "Subarugdu"

Offline Tjnoma99

• Training Wheels
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2017, 07:09:28 pm »

Oh my...that PO was an idiot. That's waaaayyy more work than buying a drop in. Some people.... sheesh  :-[

You have no idea! I'm finding random wires and relays that aren't connected to anything! I have what I think is a separate accessories fuse panel but I can't get it open to figure it out! The little screws that hold the lid on were once Phillips heads. I've done my best to trace each wire physically and with the diagram, and it's been interesting! But I'll get it sorted out sooner than later! 

Offline Jorge

• Officer
  • Sport Tourer
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 9297
  • Membership Level: Event Host
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2017, 10:30:23 pm »
The wire colors I typed in were from my Clymers manual; maybe someone else can verify them or you can by using a voltmeter, and confirming you have voltage between hi & ground and lo & ground depending on your dimmer position.
I agree with the comments about LEDs from Amazon. I bought teh Eviteks, and they are amazing, and draw less current then the stock H4 bulbs. Murph's kit would be a waste with LEDs, due to the lower current used, and the fact that the LEDs come with electronics to regulate the voltage to the right level needed by the LED chips.
Jorge

Offline Tjnoma99

• Training Wheels
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2017, 12:04:07 am »
So I got a chance to look a little deeper, and yes, the previous owner cut off the oem headlight connector. No biggie, I have the technology, it can be fixed! AND I did find an fuse panel for my accessories. It's on a relay and everything! Can't wait to be able to take this monster out and ride!

Offline dboogie2288

• Road Bike
    • BeginnerBikers.org
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2017, 12:18:26 am »
So I got a chance to look a little deeper, and yes, the previous owner cut off the oem headlight connector. No biggie, I have the technology, it can be fixed! AND I did find an fuse panel for my accessories. It's on a relay and everything! Can't wait to be able to take this monster out and ride!

Re-usable parts are still usable parts! I took off a relay and fuse block system off my goldwing (that I installed) to replace with a Rowe PDM60. That sucker is the bentley of fuse blocks. Was able to turn around and put that stuff in the project connie.

Just make sure you do a better  job of wiring than this other clown did.
Current Bikes:

Offline Tjnoma99

• Training Wheels
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2017, 12:21:53 am »
Oh I plan on it. Already got the soldering gun out. I've got plenty of time this weekend to rewire some things. Plus I can get a charger or two connected!