Author Topic: Heinz 57 windshield prototype???  (Read 905 times)

Offline gottaride

• Crotch Rocket
  • 1994 concours
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 10652
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
Heinz 57 windshield prototype???
« on: February 17, 2013, 10:41:20 pm »
 Rifle base,23.5" Cee Bailey screen, DIY laminar lip and probably toss in a Wing vent while I`m at it. :rotflmao:
OK quit laughin' cuz I'm seriously considering all this in my continued quest for an optimal touring screen. When I first got my '95 I rode it 1000 miles home from Winnipeg. The 23.5" Cee B made an awful racket at highway speeds I mean LOUD.  I`m 6' on the nose with a 34" inseam and the Cee B site recommends the 23.5" shield for riders up to 5'10" or so IIRC. If I scrunch down the buffeting disappears so I can't and don't blame the CB it's just too short.
Last winter I installed a Rifle base and 17.5" shield. I run a stock seat with 2" Genmar risers, dropped pegs so with my spine straight or there abouts my settled in view is above the lip about 60' down road. Definite improvement in reduced buffeting but the noise is still unacceptable. My helmet is a modular Scorpion EXO 900 which isn't the quietest design based on the way the visor ends slot into a removable housing. Those slots do create some noise but most of the noise is coming from buffeting above and behind the helmet as far as I can tell.
The Rifle shield sits several degrees closer to vertical as compared to the Cee B. The lip of the Rifle is a few inches further from the riders visor. Whatever design I end up with I really want to preserve a clear view of the road from about 60' or so in front so a way long screen is not an option.
I`ve read most every post on here concerning screens and such and have to send out my many thanks for the efforts of everyone involved thus far. 
I`m completely sold on the idea of a laminar lip and have acquired all the materials and will definitely make one for my existing Rifle shield and one for the Cee B once and if I successfully adapt it to fit the Rifle base.

Watching Mike's Alaska video's really has got me wondering about the Wing vent. The Rifle vent although needed to primarily reduce the negative pressure behind the shield and secondarily to allow cool air at the rider bugs me rain wise despite the pipe insulation trick. .

So here's what I`m wondering.
1.  Has anyone trimmed the base off a Cee B windshield and successfully mounted it on a Rifle base? The curves differ and will require a heat gun reshaping.
2. How does the Lam Lip behave on the Rifle shield as compared to the Cee B shield given the same approximate set up height noting that the Cee B has a curve right at the top where as the Rifle remains flat from bottom to top.
3. Actually any informed input would be welcome. I hate to carve up that Cee B if it's not going to get significant improvements. Who knows maybe this idea hasn't been tried out yet but that seems unlikely.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 06:51:30 pm by gottaride »

Offline Jeff

• Bicycle
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: Heinz 57 windshield prototype???
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 09:57:42 pm »
I fought the same noise battle until I discovered Madstad.
Maybe you can get some inspiration here:
http://forum.cog-online.org/index.php/topic,38145.0.html
'95 ZG1000, '09 DL650

Offline gottaride

• Crotch Rocket
  • 1994 concours
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 10652
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
Re: Heinz 57 windshield prototype???
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 12:04:14 am »
Holy Cow Jeff very interesting. Had a look last night at the Madstad design. For my purposes I`d likely keep the rifle base and install a shorty (ish) DIY screen to mount the Madstad hardware then attached my 23.5" Cee B with a suitable portion of the bottom removed. Keep my Rifle screen as a backup.
Thanks for bringing that thread to my attention.