Author Topic: HeliBars Handlebars - Anyone tried these?  (Read 235 times)

Offline Dan

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 12655
  • Membership Level: Active
HeliBars Handlebars - Anyone tried these?
« on: August 29, 2017, 11:08:15 am »
So I've been having issues with my arms, bursitis and numb hands after relatively short rides. I've been doing some research online and one of the things i found were these handlebars as an option. They are supposed to let you adjust them for height, pull them closer to you and adjust the grip angle. They are, however, quite pricey. So i was wondering if anyone else had ever tried them.

https://www.helibars.com/products/HeliBars%C2%AE-Horizon%E2%84%A2-ST-multi%252daxis-adjustable-handlebars-for-Kawasaki-Concours-ZG1000/625.html

2002 Concours ZG1000

Offline Bud

• Road Bike
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: HeliBars Handlebars - Anyone tried these?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2017, 11:27:30 am »
I was out on my C10 one day this summer and saw another one sitting in front of the Methodist church that was farkled up pretty well.  Well, me being me, I walked in the church and found a guy tuning the piano in the sanctuary.  I asked if he was riding the concours parked in front.  I started talking motorcycles and before I left, I asked if he minded letting me ride his since it had a set of helibars.  I don't know if they were the first generation or second that they are selling now but, my impression of helibars is that I like that they come farther back toward the rider.  My problem with his setup was that the shape of the seat is still pushing you toward the bars and there is still pressure on your hands.  I think if you have a custom seat that was perfectly level, you might have what you're looking for.  Just don't think you can be happy without changing the seat.

Offline dboogie2288

• Road Bike
    • BeginnerBikers.org
  • COG#: 11628
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2017, 12:50:12 pm »
The numbness is probably coming from the buzz/vibration of the engine. I had helibars on my 86. They are a very cool, read=expensive, add on to the bike, but they likely wont help with things like that. It would affect your seating position a bit, and while it may provide more comfort for longer rides, it probably wouldnt help much with the buzz.
Current Bikes:
2006 Kawasaki Concours///COG#:11628
2006 Honda Goldwing 1800///GWRRA#:398646

Offline Sidecar Girl

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 11302
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2017, 12:56:17 pm »
I have HeliBars risers but found that rotating the clutch and brake lever either backward or forward just a bit solved a lot of my hand numbness problems.  I tried rotating them toward me but rotating them back about 1/4" worked best for me.
2010 C14 w/Hannigan High Performance sidecar
2015 Yamaha 200 TW

Offline RWulf

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 7122
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2017, 01:25:19 pm »
I currently have the first generation of these bars on my bike.
Mine did not come with the brake & hose extensions and look
a bit differant at the top. I find them to be adjustable in every
way you can think of. And yes very comfortable. I have never
had any type of pain in hands, arms or shoulders. They even
eliminated the pain between the shoulders.
Yes expensive but for me they work. Just got from eclipse
watch 2000 miles and felt great.

Offline m in sc

• Training Wheels
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2017, 02:33:37 pm »
i have them. being relatively short they were perfect for me, no hand, neck, or back discomfort  :great:

Offline worncog

• Crotch Rocket
  • aka 'handyman'
  • COG#: 9584
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2017, 02:55:53 pm »
i have them. being relatively short they were perfect for me, no hand, neck, or back discomfort  :great:

I have them, and was the leader of a fizzled group buy a couple years ago. They transformed the bike for me. 5'7", 30" inseam, so I'm short.

Helibars and a Seth Laam saddle turned it into a mile eater.

If you have the older version, IIRC you need to inspect them regularly for cracks.
Somewhere far away. Soon
Overland Expo, BVF, ...another BDR?

'14 S10, '06 C10, '02 TTR250, '74 R75/6 Hack, '72 XS650

Offline Mike G

• Training Wheels
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2017, 03:48:42 pm »
I'm the same size as worncog and had a similar experience.  Very comfortable and no more buzz.  I tried bar risers, adapters with tubular bars and like the Helibars the best.  The bars and a Madstad windshield and I'm a very happy camper.  They will have to pry the Helibars from my cold, dead hands...

Offline m in sc

• Training Wheels
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2017, 04:13:40 pm »
5'7", 30" inseam, so I'm short.
exactly the same here. buying jeans sucks. but i am the tallest person in my family.  :great:

friend of mine who's 5'10" said it was a 'bit' cramped for him they way i had it set up, but they are basically infinitely adjustable.

Offline Dan

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 12655
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2017, 04:31:01 pm »
Thanks for all the input. I'm 6'4" with a 31" inseam, so not only am I tall, most of my height is from the waist up. One of the biggest reasons (other then the buzz) I was looking at these was the ability to...widen?... the grip distance. I need the grips to be more ATV or cruiser and less "/\" shaped
2002 Concours ZG1000