Author Topic: Hello! New owner joining the group!  (Read 1907 times)

Offline BB

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 12977
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: Hello! New owner joining the group!
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2018, 03:16:10 pm »
120 or 110, dont lose any sleep over it either one will work just fine, some brands are wider some are narrower 10mm difference is less than half an inch, no human could detect the difference when riding.

Thank you for the moment of clarity!  ;)
Road Traveler
* 2001 Kawasaki ZG1000
* 1999 Kawasaki ZG1000

Offline BB

• Mini Bike
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2018, 09:40:32 pm »
Well, I believe I have conquered how to attach photos on COG, so now I want to show off my C10!

Cheers!   :beerchug:
Road Traveler
* 2001 Kawasaki ZG1000
* 1999 Kawasaki ZG1000

Offline S Smith

• Northeast Area Director
  • Officer
  • I Need a Life
    • COG Northeast Area Home Page
  • COG#: 3184
  • Membership Level: Administrator
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2018, 02:34:01 pm »
Clean looking bike  :great: Wishing you miles of smiles  :motonoises:

There is a planned January 26 Meet & Greet lunch at House of Bones BBQ in Derby CT. Check the event calendar for details.

| Steve Smith | COG #3184 | MSF/CONREP RC |

There is more to be gained by members raising hands saying "I'll do that" instead of pointing fingers saying "nobody's doing that."

Offline m in sc

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2018, 08:59:45 pm »
Yup, i have the exact same bike. Been good so far. mine was fairly unstable/lumbering at speed but also had the low end weave under 45mph when i got it, came down to really old crappy (to boot) tires.   I run avon am26's and have been very, very happy with them. I tend to ride a bit more 'sporty' and have been well over 120 w a passenger, but they are dead solid smooth and that alone fixed the low speed weave/wobble. ( i had done the front forks, bearings, etc prior as well, but was still there until i changed the tires).  Enjoy it. its my winter/rain/ 2 up distance bike and has been really solid since i did all the maintenance.  :beerchug:

Offline DangerousDan

• Deer Magnet Dan
  • Mini Bike
  • Every day starts as a 10 when I wake up breathing
  • AREA: Northwest Area
« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2018, 06:12:52 am »
  Shut off the petcock "everytime" you stop! Only takes one carb float to hang up and flood the carbs AND the pistons! Get overflow tubes in your float bowls. Myself I like the orginal  petcock I'm on my second one and it still works fine. Have had my C10 for 24 yrs. Still a great bike. :) :)

https://www.murphskits.com/product_info.php?cPath=1_107&products_id=140&osCsid=YKs8Ep5XBDJY2StRzYFc0

Diddo, I never leave it on.  the only real problems I have ever had on other bikes is from leaving the gas on.  this is a sweat machine, it deserves to have its floats get a little break every time you take one.  Better safe than sorry and good habit for any machine you have the option on.
So this is a life?  Lets have some fun!
1992 c10 74k miles,  black w/ red stripe
carbon fiber slip ons, rifle wind screen
custom Corbin seat (flip down passenger back rest)
cruise control, maybe more, still researching

Offline DangerousDan

• Deer Magnet Dan
  • Mini Bike
« Reply #30 on: December 24, 2018, 06:31:32 am »
Okay, these are the tires on the bike right now:

F: Avon AV55, 120/70/ZR18
R: Avon AV46-ST, 150/80/ZR16

Tires are indeed old. And wobbly. No good and need to be replaced.  After spending a considerable amount of time reading about tire options, I think I am settling on the following package:

• $91 Shinko 777 H.D. Tire, Part #WPS87-4597

• $144 MICHELIN PILOT ROAD 3, Part #0301-0282 (#31794)

Found a good deal from   http://www.directcycleparts.com

Any feedback on the choice above? From what I read, a good chunk of C10 owners have tried this package and recommend it for touring purposes.

I am just not sure about the front tire size: 120/70 or 110/80? Not sure about the implications of each size.

Cheers!
BB

not sure about the 1999 but my 1992 comes stock with a 120 front tire that is not correct for good handling.  Its supposed to have a 110.  The rim is not wide enough for a 120 and causes the tire to narrow and get taller.  Like riding on a sliver or an egg shell instead of being nice and round like a 110 rides.  I had the same issue when I first bought my bike, it likes diving into corners too aggressively and at above 120 mph seems to follow any imperfections on the road.  My Dunlap is visibly egg shaped, not round and it has a tread line right down the center which catches any wrinkle on the road.  Two things I will avoid when I get a new one, it will be the right size (110) and will not have a continual tread line in the center .  Besides that, my rifleman wind screen has seen better days and the outer mounting bolts have spider web fractures in the glass.  The glass bends and deforms the upper faring when climbing above 120 mph.  Seems to blow me around a bit.

Offline DangerousDan

• Deer Magnet Dan
  • Mini Bike
« Reply #31 on: December 24, 2018, 06:47:36 am »
I wish I still had the links, but from memory, my front rim is a 6 spoke, yours is a 5, but both are 2.5 " wide  I think.  That is not meant to mount a 120, which calls for a 3" wide rim.  Look it up, I'm telling ya,  It will deform the tire and if you ride like me (expect max performance) and set cruise control at 90 mph and ride with no hands, you don't want a 120 on the front. Sure it works , but it will not be round and does have impact on high speed handling and especially in corners.   Your speedo will be off too.  Since the tire is squeezed into a higher profile.  I have a similar thread here as you do, for the same reason I suspect .  Its the tire man, check its width compared to what its supposed to be from the factory, your find it taller and narrower. 
  On the other hand, your rim might be 3 " wide (ID), which case 120 is the right size  :)).  Your owners manual should be able to tell you the front wheel width (2.5" is for 110/ 3" is 120)

Offline DangerousDan

• Deer Magnet Dan
  • Mini Bike
« Reply #32 on: December 24, 2018, 06:56:53 am »
lol,, http://www.cog-online.org/clubportal/clubstatic.cfm?clubID=1328&pubmenuoptID=34855  your bike has the 3" front rim, or should.  Forget everything I said, it applies to bre 94 models.  With the 6 spoke rims.

Offline DangerousDan

• Deer Magnet Dan
  • Mini Bike
« Reply #33 on: December 24, 2018, 07:13:27 am »
LOL,, closing it out I read it again and learned that the current radials 120 are designed for a 3.5 inch rim, yours is only 3, mine is 2.5.  So , with my style of riding , I want the lower profile and would still get the 110 even if I had your bike.  At least the tire is not "riding high", and instead will have more rubber on the road on the straights.  Might lose some in extreme cornering but I don't play that often, preferring to sprint the straights and take it easy in corners.  Speed is what I need  :motonoises:

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Industry Member
  • I Need a Life
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 6977
« Reply #34 on: December 24, 2018, 12:26:35 pm »
Okay, these are the tires on the bike right now:

F: Avon AV55, 120/70/ZR18
R: Avon AV46-ST, 150/80/ZR16

Tires are indeed old. And wobbly. No good and need to be replaced.  After spending a considerable amount of time reading about tire options, I think I am settling on the following package:

• $91 Shinko 777 H.D. Tire, Part #WPS87-4597

• $144 MICHELIN PILOT ROAD 3, Part #0301-0282 (#31794)

Found a good deal from   http://www.directcycleparts.com

Any feedback on the choice above? From what I read, a good chunk of C10 owners have tried this package and recommend it for touring purposes.

I am just not sure about the front tire size: 120/70 or 110/80? Not sure about the implications of each size.

Cheers!
BB

The tires you have are the major cause of the weave. I nicknamed it "the ball bearing dance" years ago because that's what it feels like. The combo you are looking at works great, I'm actually running it on a BMW1200lt. And you want a 110/80-18 for the front. It will fit the front rim better and give a round profile, which helps the bike feel stable and roll in and out of a lean. The 120 profile is to wide, it becomes pinched and develops a triangular shape, which makes the bike twitchy and want to fall when you lean into a curve. Steve
C-14 ECU flashing for performance and rideability enhancement
C-10 Carb work , cams, & performance enhancements
 " Modifications for sport-tourers, BY a sport-tourer"
https://sites.google.com/site/shoodabenengineering/home

Offline BB

• Mini Bike
« Reply #35 on: December 24, 2018, 02:57:44 pm »
   The tires you have are the major cause of the weave. I nicknamed it "the ball bearing dance" years ago because that's what it feels like. The combo you are looking at works great, I'm actually running it on a BMW1200lt. And you want a 110/80-18 for the front. It will fit the front rim better and give a round profile, which helps the bike feel stable and roll in and out of a lean. The 120 profile is to wide, it becomes pinched and develops a triangular shape, which makes the bike twitchy and want to fall when you lean into a curve. Steve

:beerchug: :beerchug: :beerchug: :beerchug:
Road Traveler
* 2001 Kawasaki ZG1000
* 1999 Kawasaki ZG1000

Offline DangerousDan

• Deer Magnet Dan
  • Mini Bike
« Reply #36 on: December 24, 2018, 10:31:26 pm »

:beerchug: :beerchug: :beerchug: :beerchug:

:motonoises: :great: