Author Topic: speedometer noise when cold  (Read 1963 times)

Offline kawani

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 9930
  • Membership Level: Active
speedometer noise when cold
« on: October 29, 2010, 04:36:29 pm »
I have a 1987 concours and every winter the speedometer squeals like a pig I got a used new cluster put that in and does the same thing anyone have any suggestions on how to stop this annoying squeal I sound like I have a pig stuck in the bike going down the road

Offline Colin

• Crotch Rocket
  • I'd rather be riding!
    • Facebook
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: speedometer noise when cold
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2010, 05:56:02 pm »
I suspect the issue is with the cable not the speedo head.

Remover the inner cable and lube it with graphite grease not lithium grease.

Likely it will be fine after.

You can remove the inner core of cable from the bottom/wheel end.
Colin Prior

Offline Bobber

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 2994
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2010, 12:55:29 am »
plus one on Colin's comments
Bob Sherwood

Offline Rev Ryder

• Officer
  • I Need a Life
  • We came. We saw. We Concours-ed.
    • Presbychuck
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 7235
  • Membership Level: Executive Director
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2010, 02:24:57 pm »
I had the issue of a screaming speedo when cold for about four years.  Numerous cable lubings and finally replacement let me know it wasn't that.  A new to me speedo DID stop the embarrassing racket.  Sounded just like a cable though and would screech like mad until about 45 mph where it would finally die down until I slowed again.  Once I'd gone a few miles it would be quiet unless it was really cold out, then theere was no relief.  Speedo always worked and kept pretty accurate track of things... it just whined and screeched like a banshee.  Go figure.

Try lubing the cable first.  If that doesn't do it, you might try a replacement.  If that doesn't fix it, then you probably have the same bug I did.  When I changed, I went to the late model speedo with dual tripometers.  I like it better and the silence is great.  Of course since you've already replaced the speedo once, it's likely the cable OR it could be the gear drive at teh wheel.
Fortis non Ferox
 Shafties Can't Wheelie

Offline mdr

• Road Bike
    • Mark in Austin's C10 Tech Page
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2010, 01:06:23 pm »
Don't know if this would make it noisier, but if the cable is routed through the brake cable holder on the fork lower, it'll have lots more stress on it than if it's going just through the fender loop and the wire loop at the bottom triple clamp.  I just bring it up since it's common to see it routed that way since the front cover of the Kawi manual seems to show it that way.  Even if it's the 'right' way, leaving it out of that holder works better.
Mark in Austin, AE5SJ
'01 Concours, Vrooomm
http://www.randols.net/Connie/
Motorcycle Special Events Team - Texas
http://www.mset-tx.org/

Offline smithr1

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 6197
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2010, 03:03:56 pm »
Yep mdr is correct the main thing with these types of speedo cables is to route them with the least amount of bend possible.  If you just let it attach at the two ends then should only be one long smooth bend on a C10.
---
Bob Smith (smithr)
Austin, Texas baby!
2010 Kawasaki Concours, Midnight Blue
COG 6197, CDA 107

Offline kawani

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 9930
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2010, 04:55:07 am »
I was replacing wheel bearings today and noticed that my front tire wasn't turning very freely so I got to looking to see why turns out the speedo drive was sticking so I figured with nothing to lose I pulled the seal and low and behold what was supposed to be grease was the consistency of what some would term muddy sand so I am cleaning out all of the gunk now and see if I can salvage it at least as a temporary fix but am figuring that may be the culprit of my noise I think I will try the drill trick tomorrow as well and see if it makes the noise without the gear being used
Todd

Offline Rev Ryder

• Officer
  • I Need a Life
  • We came. We saw. We Concours-ed.
    • Presbychuck
  • COG#: 7235
  • Membership Level: Executive Director
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2010, 01:46:29 pm »
I was replacing wheel bearings today and noticed that my front tire wasn't turning very freely so I got to looking to see why turns out the speedo drive was sticking so I figured with nothing to lose I pulled the seal and low and behold what was supposed to be grease was the consistency of what some would term muddy sand so I am cleaning out all of the gunk now and see if I can salvage it at least as a temporary fix but am figuring that may be the culprit of my noise I think I will try the drill trick tomorrow as well and see if it makes the noise without the gear being used
Todd

Yup, that's kinda common and may be what's leading to noisy fronts.  My speedo drive points down and so my cable has sharp bends in it.  I keep er greased and she's quiet and smooth.  I expect it WILL wear faster than before, but it works.  Granted the least bend possible is desirable, but if the cable is lubed well it shouldn't make noise unless the inside of the cable housing has worn badly.  That can cause problems that you cannot see and only a new cable can fix it.  Just ANOTHER lame thought from the old peabrain to tack onto this thread.
Fortis non Ferox
 Shafties Can't Wheelie

Offline 2linby

• Iron Butt
  • I rode today, did you?
  • COG#: 5539
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2010, 12:12:23 am »
Ear plugs. >:D
"2linby" Get it? "Tooling by" "Everything is simple, but nothing is easy".
Ex NWAD, AAD, COG #5539, IBA #15034 TEAM OREGON MC Instructor, Mentor 2001 Sonic Blue  166K and counting!
http://tinyurl.com/njas8 (IBA BBG)
http://tinyurl.com/lwelx (Alaska trip

Offline GSGSXJay

• Scooter
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 5374
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2010, 03:08:34 pm »
Todd
Todd,
EVERY time that you replace the front tire be sure to soak the speedodrive in oil and lube the speedo cable.

I usually take a toothbrush to the speedodrive and spin the gears while "washing" it down w/ oil.  Wipe all the dirt, oil, etc off of it and spay it down w/ Dupont Teflon spray.

The speedo cable and interior of the cable sheath gets sprayed out w/ Cable life.  The speedo cable then gets covered w/ a liberal coating of grease before putting it back in the cable sheath.
Jay COG 5374  1995 ZG1000A10  1978, 79 GS1000EN  Shaft or chain I love em the same

Offline DangerousDan

• Deer Magnet Dan
  • Bicycle
  • Every day starts as a 10 when I wake up breathing
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2018, 03:40:00 am »
Thanx everyone,, I too have been annoyed by the cold weather whining screech that stops when I slow down,, or stop in the morning.  Was so worried it was the engine, but its the cable,, love COG, thanx so much, my C10 is new to me,, I love her so, don'
t want her getting hurt

So this is a life?  Lets have some fun!
1992 c10 74k miles,  black w/ red stripe
carbon fiber slip ons, rifle wind screen
custom Corbin seat (flip down passenger back rest)
cruise control, maybe more, still researching

Offline RWulf

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 7122
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2018, 02:27:02 pm »
If it sounds like a "pig" leave it home. It must not like motorcycles.

Offline connieklr

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 1608
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2018, 11:20:13 am »
Annoying, isn't it.

I removed the cable guide on the stem, and used a moly-based grease. That seemed to minimize the frequency (no pun intended) of it occurring.
COG #1608
COG Life Member
Semi-Civilian
GB Young Services, LLC

Offline DangerousDan

• Deer Magnet Dan
  • Bicycle
  • Every day starts as a 10 when I wake up breathing
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2018, 11:01:54 pm »
Don't know if this would make it noisier, but if the cable is routed through the brake cable holder on the fork lower, it'll have lots more stress on it than if it's going just through the fender loop and the wire loop at the bottom triple clamp.  I just bring it up since it's common to see it routed that way since the front cover of the Kawi manual seems to show it that way.  Even if it's the 'right' way, leaving it out of that holder works better.
Oh my,, off to try that, mine screams about the cold too.  Funny, the bike keeps me warm and toasty, but the cable is taking the brunt of the blow.
So this is a life?  Lets have some fun!
1992 c10 74k miles,  black w/ red stripe
carbon fiber slip ons, rifle wind screen
custom Corbin seat (flip down passenger back rest)
cruise control, maybe more, still researching