Author Topic: Hello! New owner joining the group!  (Read 2038 times)

Offline BB

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 12977
  • Membership Level: Active
Hello! New owner joining the group!
« on: November 12, 2018, 08:58:34 pm »
So yesterday I purchased a 1999 C10. Really excited about this bike and I have big dreams of going to Mexico this winter on it.  :beerchug:

I believe the bike has been part of the COG family, with stickers and all. I take it as a good sign. Previous owner seemed like a mechanical DIY guy, but didnt really put a lot of miles during ownership. Bike currently sits at 70K miles.

I rode it from PA to NJ and I was very impressed with the wind protection while riding in 40F weather. Real touring bike, I am happy with the purchase.

Few issues that I noticed that I will need to follow up and sort it out:

1. Bike seems to wobble above 80 mph. Not sure if this is a "design" limit for these bikes due to wind protection OR if something is off on my bike. Not sure how to even start investigating this one. I guess first I would need feedback whether 80 mph is indeed the limit for these bikes.

2. Fuel gauge seems to be everywhere, needle shows full tank and moments later it shows half a tank. I need to fill her up and confirm this is a fuel gauge issue and not a gas guzzling bike. Not sure yet, as I still need to register the bike and bring it to CT.

3. Bike has a manual petcock. My initial feeling was to install the OEM petcock back, but according to the owner I'd need to procure a new vacuum hose. Alternatively, I could leave the manual petcock in but to do that, i'd need to understand exactly how it works: it is not clear to me if I stop at a coffee shot and leave the manual petcock on, would that immediately flood the engine or other factors need to align for that to happen? No overflow tubes installed. Previous owner said it is only required to shut it when parking overnight. Could someone shed some light?

4. Any value in the Owner's Manual or should I look for a service manual? I have none.

Well, I could possibly be heading south before the end of the year, so lots of work ahead!  >:D >:D

Any feedback is welcome!

Cheers!

BB

Road Traveler
* 2001 Kawasaki ZG1000
* 1999 Kawasaki ZG1000

Offline cal

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: Hello! New owner joining the group!
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2018, 09:56:49 pm »
Congrats on getting a darn good motorcycle. I do like the service manual. If you don't mind the petcock that's on it, run it as is for a while. Way more knowledgeable answers to your questions will be on the way!

Offline Shawn

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 12217
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2018, 10:08:59 pm »
 :welcome:

What Cal said...you'll get more C10 advice than you could use, literally.  Steve in Sunny Florida, Man of Blues and a ton of others know the C10 inside and out and are always free with the advice.
'14 C14 Black

Offline Mettler1

• Iron Butt
  • You want answers? We got answers!!
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 1431
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2018, 10:37:30 pm »
  Shut off the petcock "everytime" you stop! Only takes one carb float to hang up and flood the carbs AND the pistons! Get overflow tubes in your float bowls. Myself I like the orginal  petcock I'm on my second one and it still works fine. Have had my C10 for 24 yrs. Still a great bike. :) :)

https://www.murphskits.com/product_info.php?cPath=1_107&products_id=140&osCsid=YKs8Ep5XBDJY2StRzYFc0
'94 Concours 115,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,SiSF'sTorque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators, SiSF carb Spa, Delkevic exhaust, Murphs' knee savers +grips, etc

Offline Brooke_Benfield_OR

• Scooter
  • COG#: 2185
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2018, 10:48:49 pm »
The C10 should be stable well into triple digits, so yours needs some attention.

Contributing factors include steering stem bearings being too loose, Swing arm bearings too loose, front tire worn too much. Others can add to that list.

Fuel gauge. Are you sure it was the fuel gauge jumping around???? Might have been your coolant temp gauge and if so, it's not a problem. In cooler weather the thermostat will cycle open/close while running down the road and the temp gauge will cycle with that.

Please shut off your manual petcock every time you park the bike. Read up here about hydro lock.

The Factory Service Manual is much more useful than the Owners Manual.

Enjoy your new ride!!

EDIT: I read your description of the fuel gauge again and that's not normal behavior. Sorry for the useless input.  :-[
« Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 10:52:32 pm by Brooke_Benfield_OR »
Brooke Benfield  2013 FJR1300  COG #2185

Offline BB

• Mini Bike
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2018, 10:54:05 pm »
Congrats on getting a darn good motorcycle. I do like the service manual. If you don't mind the petcock that's on it, run it as is for a while. Way more knowledgeable answers to your questions will be on the way!

Thank you for the feedback! It does feel like a nice bike indeed.
Road Traveler
* 2001 Kawasaki ZG1000
* 1999 Kawasaki ZG1000

Offline BB

• Mini Bike
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2018, 10:56:23 pm »
:welcome:

What Cal said...you'll get more C10 advice than you could use, literally.  Steve in Sunny Florida, Man of Blues and a ton of others know the C10 inside and out and are always free with the advice.

Thank you Shawn! I've been reading and researching about the bike, and yes, TONS of info. I came across a Concours group in CT, too bad is getting colder fast up here but I'd love to meet locals and talk about these bikes.
Road Traveler
* 2001 Kawasaki ZG1000
* 1999 Kawasaki ZG1000

Offline BB

• Mini Bike
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2018, 11:00:49 pm »
The C10 should be stable well into triple digits, so yours needs some attention.  Hmm... good news about the top speed but bad news regarding my bike...

Contributing factors include steering stem bearings being too loose, Swing arm bearings too loose, front tire worn too much. Others can add to that list. I did check the stem bearing and it seemed tight. Not sure how to check the swing arm bearings... Hopefully I will be able to find a how-to. Front tire not worn at all... perhaps old but not a lot of miles. I will need to dig more into this.

Fuel gauge. Are you sure it was the fuel gauge jumping around???? Might have been your coolant temp gauge and if so, it's not a problem. In cooler weather the thermostat will cycle open/close while running down the road and the temp gauge will cycle with that. While test riding the bike I did get fuel and temp gauges mixed up! But while riding the bike home, I noticed weird fluctuations on the fuel gauge. More on that after I can test it more.

Please shut off your manual petcock every time you park the bike. Read up here about hydro lock. Scary stuff! Do you know how hard would it be to re-install the OEM? Good idea?

The Factory Service Manual is much more useful than the Owners Manual.

Enjoy your new ride!! Thank you!

Road Traveler
* 2001 Kawasaki ZG1000
* 1999 Kawasaki ZG1000

Offline BB

• Mini Bike
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2018, 11:04:52 pm »
EDIT: I read your description of the fuel gauge again and that's not normal behavior. Sorry for the useless input.  :-[

Brooke, I missed you last comment. While reading about TONS of C10 stuff today, I came across two things: electrical fuel gauge adjustment & mechanical fuel gauge adjustment.

Would any of these be applicable to my 1999 C10? I suspect they try to "correct" this "normal behavior"? Am I on the right track? Worth further investigating? My priorities are definitely the wobbling & petcock... but if something easy to fix, I'll also try to correct the fuel gauge.

Thanks in advance!
BB
Road Traveler
* 2001 Kawasaki ZG1000
* 1999 Kawasaki ZG1000

Offline Brooke_Benfield_OR

• Scooter
  • COG#: 2185
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2018, 01:05:50 am »
Steering Stem Bearings:

The usual slop check method is unlikely to reveal anything. The best way to detect play in the stem bearings is to put the bike on centerstand, stand on the left side of the bike and apply enough weight on the left passenger grab handle with your right hand to lift the front wheel off the garage floor, very gently hold the left handlebar end weight with your left forefinger/thumb and release the bike to fall down onto the front wheel. If there is play you will feel a light thump with your left hand finger/thumb. Picking the front wheel up off the floor as described above causes the play to go to one end of its travel and releasing the bike causes it to move to its other extreme. If your fork bushings are worn the thump may be more difficult to discern.

Fuel Gauge:

The fixes you will read about (mechanical or electrical) are about adjusting the reading of the gauge. I was happy with the stock setup on my C10s and didn't mess with it. Yours seems to be wildly swinging about and that's not related to how the sender unit is adjusted. To really fix this you will need to have the sender out of the tank and plugged back into the wire harness. With the key on you should be able to see what's going on when you move the float through its range of motion. My guess is there is some crud on the resistor the float arm rubs on or on the arm itself where it contacts the resistor.

Hydro Lock:

It is indeed scary stuff. Since you have a manual petcock I'd recommend staying with it and get in the habit of shutting the fuel flow off every time you park the bike. The original petcock is convenient because it does that for you but it is also more likely to  deteriorate and cause a hydro lock situation. There's nothing difficult about switching back to the original style petcock but every few years you'll have to replace the rubber bits inside it (OEM parts are better than the K&L replacements). The C10 gas tank is rated for 7.5G and all that weight could end up being held back by the float valves in the carburetors when a petcock begins to fail. With the OEM petcock the fuel could also leak down into cylinder #2 when the rubber bits fail.
Brooke Benfield  2013 FJR1300  COG #2185

Offline TALON

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2018, 01:21:44 am »
My fuel gauge was all wonky until I looked at the wire connector under the seat to see that at many points in the past the tank had been dropped on it, cutting the wire and shorting it to the frame intermittently.   A cut/splice to clean it up and redo the insulation got it back to normal.  Just be careful not to drop it there yourself!

Also mine is stable to at least a GPS 133 mph, so 80+ shouldn't give you any problems, not much more I can add to what everyone else has said though.

Offline Bob_C_CT

• Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 9544
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2018, 02:08:35 am »
Welcome aboard BB. Whereabouts are you in CT. If your close to New Haven area may be able to take a look at your ride when you get it to CT. I had my 97 for about 8 years and done various upgrades to get it more compliant.

As others have said if you can get used to shutting the petcock off every time it may work for you. I've gone thru a couple of the vacuum petcock and will keep it that way since my memory ain't what it used to be.

From the other post I see you have a rifle windscreen, better than the stock shield for buffetting. Do you have any wobble on Deacceleration around 40mph, that may indicate loose steering stem bearings. Another cause may be a broken engine mount bolt as the engine is an intergal part of the frame.
As this owner hasn't ridden it much maybe the tire(s) are the cause. How old are the tires? How much air pressure is in the tires?

Post some pics?
Southern Connecticut.
97 C10,ZRX Front, Meanstreak rim

Offline beaucephus

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 12214
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2018, 01:06:36 am »
Good answers coming in.  I loved the C10 for learning stuff.  It's very wrench/mod friendly.  I'll give you answers based on my 20k miles of C10 ownership. 

1. My wobble was tire related.  The fairing is sensitive to trucks and likes clean air.  All the other suggestions should be checked even if a new set fixes it.
2.  The electrical correction worked fantastic for me.  It look 5 minutes and a 200ohm resistor. It recommend that over mechanical due to ease of install.
3.  Just replace the petcock, as leaving it on can lead to bad stuff.  The vacuum line you need is available anywhere and connects to a port in Carb #2.  Murph's kits has the vacuum operated petcock you are looking for. 
4.  Both manuals is always a good recommendation. One usually has better pictures, one better explanation of methods.

The first mod I would recommend is the tool-less tank and side panel removal kits from Murph's.  They are both real time savers. See if your bike has the carb overflow tubes.  I've had multiple carb free-flow events that had potential for engine killing. 

Offline Mcfly

• Stayin' for the people....
  • Iron Butt
  • What've I done!?
  • COG#: 9921
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2018, 02:43:36 am »
Welcome!   :beerchug:

Nothing wrong with a manual petcock.  The OEM petcock is 'convenient' but also
a 'wear item' that needs attention. 

All good advice given above.  My wobble was a tire issue (rear).  A low speed wobble
I had (40-45mph) was steering stem bearing... but you really need to investigate each
"cause".  There doesn't seem to be a single resolution. 

The OEM fuel gauge on the C10 will read full for about 80-90 miles, then drop like a rock to about
a 1/4 tank, then hover.. the drop again to just above 'E', then hover again...  not very stable, but
predictable over time.  Mine hits 190 miles just above 'E'....  never did the resistor fix.  I use the
trip odometer for fuel.

Enjoy the Connie.  It has it's quirks, but makes up for 'em ten fold.
2016 BMW S1000XR Premium in Alpine White aka 'Spooky'

SOLD: 2006 Concours aka "Connie"

FL/SE Assistant Area Director

Offline BB

• Mini Bike
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2018, 12:44:27 pm »
Brooke_Benfield_OR, great stuff, thank you. Very much appreciated.
Road Traveler
* 2001 Kawasaki ZG1000
* 1999 Kawasaki ZG1000

Offline BB

• Mini Bike
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2018, 12:47:23 pm »
My fuel gauge was all wonky until I looked at the wire connector under the seat to see that at many points in the past the tank had been dropped on it, cutting the wire and shorting it to the frame intermittently.   A cut/splice to clean it up and redo the insulation got it back to normal.  Just be careful not to drop it there yourself!

Also mine is stable to at least a GPS 133 mph, so 80+ shouldn't give you any problems, not much more I can add to what everyone else has said though.

Great tip about the wire connector. Definitely the first place to check. Need to figure out how to lift/remove the tank. Already on the hunt for a manual.

And 133 mph? Really? And for a second there while riding the bike back home I considered, due to the wobbling, that these bikes were limited to around 70 mph. Geez man... I have gone that fast on my other bikes but didnt expect the C10 to go that fast...

Thanks for the feedback!

BB
Road Traveler
* 2001 Kawasaki ZG1000
* 1999 Kawasaki ZG1000

Offline BB

• Mini Bike
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2018, 12:52:37 pm »
Bob_C_CT,

Greetings! I actually live in NYC but my family's house is in Bridgeport, where I'll keep the bike most of the time. I would very much appreciate the opportunity to meet up and I would definitely appreciate if you could ride my bike and give me your feedback. I will follow up on that via PM!

My memory is also not the best, so still considering the OEM petcock, at least for my next trip.

Regarding the wobbling, absolutely only happens when crossing above 70 mph or 80 mph. Nothing on deaccel. Also, I suspect the tires are at least 5 years old, if not older.

Not sure how to post photos... struggling a bit.. I tried but the file seemed to be larger than the 350 kb limitation. I actually think 350 kb is too restrictive... my phone pops out 2 MB file so I have to sort this out a different way... But yeah.. photos to come soon!

Cheers!
BB
Road Traveler
* 2001 Kawasaki ZG1000
* 1999 Kawasaki ZG1000

Offline BB

• Mini Bike
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2018, 12:55:23 pm »
Good answers coming in.  I loved the C10 for learning stuff.  It's very wrench/mod friendly.  I'll give you answers based on my 20k miles of C10 ownership. 

1. My wobble was tire related.  The fairing is sensitive to trucks and likes clean air.  All the other suggestions should be checked even if a new set fixes it. Absolutely. Working on tire research as I type this! And what a "nice" task shopping for C10 tires is!  :-\

2.  The electrical correction worked fantastic for me.  It look 5 minutes and a 200ohm resistor. It recommend that over mechanical due to ease of install.  :great: :great: :great:

3.  Just replace the petcock, as leaving it on can lead to bad stuff.  The vacuum line you need is available anywhere and connects to a port in Carb #2.  Murph's kits has the vacuum operated petcock you are looking for.   :great: :great: :great:

4.  Both manuals is always a good recommendation. One usually has better pictures, one better explanation of methods.

The first mod I would recommend is the tool-less tank and side panel removal kits from Murph's.  They are both real time savers. See if your bike has the carb overflow tubes.  I've had multiple carb free-flow events that had potential for engine killing. I hadn't come across this yet, but now on my radar! Thank you!

Good stuff man, thank you very much!

BB
Road Traveler
* 2001 Kawasaki ZG1000
* 1999 Kawasaki ZG1000

Offline BB

• Mini Bike
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2018, 12:57:41 pm »
Welcome!   :beerchug:

Nothing wrong with a manual petcock.  The OEM petcock is 'convenient' but also
a 'wear item' that needs attention. 

All good advice given above.  My wobble was a tire issue (rear).  A low speed wobble
I had (40-45mph) was steering stem bearing... but you really need to investigate each
"cause".  There doesn't seem to be a single resolution. 

The OEM fuel gauge on the C10 will read full for about 80-90 miles, then drop like a rock to about
a 1/4 tank, then hover.. the drop again to just above 'E', then hover again...  not very stable, but
predictable over time.  Mine hits 190 miles just above 'E'....  never did the resistor fix.  I use the
trip odometer for fuel.

Enjoy the Connie.  It has it's quirks, but makes up for 'em ten fold.

Mcfly, thank you for the feedback!

So excited about the bike that I can't wait to go to NJ today to pick it up and bring it to CT! And it is less than 40F today!

:motonoises: :motonoises: :motonoises:
Road Traveler
* 2001 Kawasaki ZG1000
* 1999 Kawasaki ZG1000

Offline Bob_C_CT

• Sport Tourer
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2018, 12:23:10 am »
There is a 4 digit code on the tires, example 1218, that would stand for being made on the 12th week of 2018.
https://www.utires.com/articles/read-date-code-motorcycle-tires/
« Last Edit: November 15, 2018, 12:41:13 am by Bob_C_CT, Reason: Added url »
Southern Connecticut.

Offline BB

• Mini Bike
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2018, 04:02:32 pm »
Okay, these are the tires on the bike right now:

F: Avon AV55, 120/70/ZR18
R: Avon AV46-ST, 150/80/ZR16

Tires are indeed old. And wobbly. No good and need to be replaced.  After spending a considerable amount of time reading about tire options, I think I am settling on the following package:

• $91 Shinko 777 H.D. Tire, Part #WPS87-4597

• $144 MICHELIN PILOT ROAD 3, Part #0301-0282 (#31794)

Found a good deal from   http://www.directcycleparts.com

Any feedback on the choice above? From what I read, a good chunk of C10 owners have tried this package and recommend it for touring purposes.

I am just not sure about the front tire size: 120/70 or 110/80? Not sure about the implications of each size.

Cheers!
BB
Road Traveler
* 2001 Kawasaki ZG1000
* 1999 Kawasaki ZG1000

Offline Bob_C_CT

• Sport Tourer
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2018, 11:23:57 am »
The front rim isn't sized to take a normal 120 width tire, Dunlop made the oem 120 tire for Kawasaki and by all accounts it wasn't as wide as a normal 120.
If you mount a real 120 tire it will make the tire width pinch into place and "push" the middle circumference of the tire out wards so that the profile is more pointed than rounded.
Given that I have alaways used a 120 on the stock rim not knowing this profile problem and never really felt it.
Southern Connecticut.

Offline bajasam

• Scooter
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2018, 01:23:39 pm »
120 or 110, dont lose any sleep over it either one will work just fine, some brands are wider some are narrower 10mm difference is less than half an inch, no human could detect the difference when riding.

Offline Mcfly

• Stayin' for the people....
  • Iron Butt
  • What've I done!?
  • COG#: 9921
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2018, 02:13:45 pm »
The 110's are said to turn in easier/faster.  I've run 120s since I've owned my C10,
and never had any issues....  The stock front Dunny (I got with the bike) blew a radial belt, but it was old.
Currently on Avon Spirit ST's.  Love the grip!
2016 BMW S1000XR Premium in Alpine White aka 'Spooky'

SOLD: 2006 Concours aka "Connie"

FL/SE Assistant Area Director

Offline bajasam

• Scooter
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2018, 02:40:55 pm »
Does "blowing a radial belt" mean you had a ply delamination, as bias plies and radial plies are exactly the same just orientated 45 degrees different from bead to bead.