Author Topic: HELP! Valve adjustment gone bad  (Read 1038 times)

Offline rick

• Scooter
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: HELP! Valve adjustment gone bad
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2017, 04:33:32 pm »
So what are you gonna do? do you want me to mail you one? Steve

UPDATE MOB:

For the time being, I used a little bit of steel wool shavings and a bunch of red loctite and put the stem (which is perfect) and nut back on.  I swapped the #2 inlet stem/nut and put it on the #4 so I  have easier access to the problem.  I took the bike out for a test ride last night, babying it all the way, and the bike, as always, was fantastic.  Took the head off and checked the nut and stem and they were right where I left them.

Of course, this was a band-aid.  I have an extremely important 2 hour ride today I simply can't miss so....fingers and toes crossed.

This engine - THIS ENTIRE BIKE - has been just incredible.  I have put 25k a year on it for the past 3 years and this thing has never broke down and never ran poorly.  It has never failed to get me back home and in one piece. It is the best engine I have ever owned and I am always amazed, like last night on the test drive, at how well it runs.  So smooth and so happy to run.  It would kill me if I damaged it - but I have a friend that really needs my help today, so I have to try.

Thank you, Steve. Wizard called me last night and I talked to him for quite a while.  He is sending 2 nuts and an extra stem Monday morning.  He is in California, so I don't know how long it will take to get them, but after this ride today, the bike will sit again until it is properly repaired.

But, thank you so very much for your offer, Steve.

Thank all of you.

Rick

Offline rick

• Scooter
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2017, 04:07:25 am »
Last update -

The Wizard came through and got my nuts today.  This guy is fantastic.  Long live the Wizard!

On another note:

Had no choice but to put the bike together for a 2 hour round trip.  To do this and be safe as possible, I used red loctite on the adjustment stem and nuts, and then I babied the engine like nobody's business.

Got the parts in and took the bike back apart.

The nut came off, with a degree of difficulty, but the stem isn't budging.  It is IN there.  But, no big deal.  It is set exactly correct and I don't have to deal with it for another
10,000 miles.  So, maybe by the time I do another valve job, the day to day heat and vibration may deteriorate it to the point I can get it out.  If not, loctite says the bond will break by applying 500 degree heat to it.

I'll give you another update in 10,000 miles, but red loctite is amazing.

Offline Jim

• Street Cruiser
  • Jim
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2017, 10:10:00 am »
I've got rocker arms left over from a head assembly I bought for just the camshafts.  PM or e-mail me with your address and I'll send you one with screws and nuts, included.  The general consensus on this site seems to be that the factory spec of 18 ft/lb is too much for the lock nut.  I've been torquing mine to 13 ft/lb and have not had any problems with them coming loose.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 10:56:16 am by Jim »

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5977
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2017, 07:23:32 pm »
Last update -

The Wizard came through and got my nuts today.  This guy is fantastic.  Long live the Wizard!

On another note:

Had no choice but to put the bike together for a 2 hour round trip.  To do this and be safe as possible, I used red loctite on the adjustment stem and nuts, and then I babied the engine like nobody's business.

Got the parts in and took the bike back apart.

The nut came off, with a degree of difficulty, but the stem isn't budging.  It is IN there.  But, no big deal.  It is set exactly correct and I don't have to deal with it for another
10,000 miles.  So, maybe by the time I do another valve job, the day to day heat and vibration may deteriorate it to the point I can get it out.  If not, loctite says the bond will break by applying 500 degree heat to it.

I'll give you another update in 10,000 miles, but red loctite is amazing.

I could see this one coming a mile away....
I eluded to this in my first post, and I wasn't using a crystal ball to tell the future.
Seeing things like this done over and over, it was apparent you were going to do it.

Now, new question... do you intend on babying this bike for 10k more miles?
Consider this, at 5000 rpm, this single adjuster screw is being hammeredd on 1250 times a minute.
So in 10 k miles at an average of a mile a.minute @ 60 mph.... it get hammered 12,500,000 times...

Best of luck, hopefully the loctite bond is as strong as your belief that it will hold up for 10k miles without failure.

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW

Offline Bob_C_CT

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 9544
« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2017, 07:37:36 pm »
MOB, I gathered from his last post he got the nuts from the Wizard and replaced the nut but left the screw with the red Loctite intact until the next valve adjustment.
97 C10,ZRX Front, Meanie Rear

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2017, 07:49:38 pm »
MOB, I gathered from his last post he got the nuts from the Wizard and replaced the nut but left the screw with the red Loctite intact until the next valve adjustment.

I just re read his post. He said he removed the glued on nut with great difficulty...
It did not say he installed new nut. At least I don't see those words anywhere...
If he did, fine, but I'm thinking the goobering of loctite and steel wool glue he used on the screw prevented that from being done...without chasing it all clean with a die prior.

:truce: :truce: :truce:
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 07:53:25 pm by MAN OF BLUES »

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW

Offline rick

• Scooter
« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2017, 03:08:42 am »
No, I removed the nut and replaced it.  Everything tightened just fine.

Personally, I don't expect the loctite to last the 10,000 miles before the next adjustment - too much daily heat and, like MOB said, to much constant tapping...everyday.  Even if it does last, the bond is broken by applying 500 degree heat to the rocker arm.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 03:12:09 am by rick »

Offline rick

• Scooter
« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2017, 03:11:11 am »
I've got rocker arms left over from a head assembly I bought for just the camshafts.  PM or e-mail me with your address and I'll send you one with screws and nuts, included.  The general consensus on this site seems to be that the factory spec of 18 ft/lb is too much for the lock nut.  I've been torquing mine to 13 ft/lb and have not had any problems with them coming loose.

Wizard sent me 2 nuts and 2 stems and everything is fixed.  But thank you very much for the offer.

I will use you torque recommendation from here on out.

Thanks.

Offline rick

• Scooter
« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2017, 03:16:17 am »
MOB,

Had no choice for the temp fix.  Got invaded by post apocalyptic outbreak monkees here.  Had to get away.  Their life span is only 1 hour, so a 2 hour round trip did the trick.  Dead zombee monkees everywhere when I got back.

Everyone who stayed died.

I was one of the lucky ones.

If you look at the red loctite tube, it reads "for use only in the event of post apocalyptic zombee outbreaks where death is imminent otherwise."
« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 03:19:37 am by rick »